BBO Discussion Forums: Priorities in countering weak 2H opening with 4414 14-count - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Priorities in countering weak 2H opening with 4414 14-count

Poll: Priorities in countering weak 2H opening with 4414 14-count (25 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you act being West?

1. Pass (in sense of trap-pass) (7 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

2. Double (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. other (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

4. Pass (16 votes [64.00%])

Percentage of vote: 64.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   amateur_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-17, 11:50

You're sitting West & playing an andvanced partner at a casual BBO table, red vs green, RHO opened weak 2

2NT by West would promise 15-18, usually. Choice of trap-pass or double (garanteeng spade 4-carder being under 16-count) dilemma appeares initially.
And obvious drawbacks:
In the former case - pass, partner would be put on pressure should North either pass (balancing hand) or raise (quite unlikely having 10 hearts already allocated). Thus, part-score or game in spades is endangered. Not such an issue exists holding 1444 and same count, in my view.

In the latter case - doubling 2, following a 3 response by partner your 3NT rebid could sound more as 16+ with four spades or 18(19)+ without spades. Consequently, pard may be tempted to start a slam try ending in a tough/undoable contract.

Is there a way to mitigiate these risks, and what to choose?

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-17, 12:07

Just pass. They bid your best suit and partner is still there.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 14:13

Easy pass for me. Partner knows how to balance, right?

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 15:58

I'd be nervous about passing since we have play for game opposite an 8-count. But there's no other choice - if we X, partner will more often than not bid 3D (perhaps via 2NT) which will not play well. Likewise a very frisky 2NT is likely to land you in an unmakeable 3NT.

If it's IMPs, we may well come off OK much of the time since if partner can't reopen, our par score is likely to be 110 or 140 so +50 doesn't lose much.

For my own (and maybe some others') education, what would be the minimum you'd expect for a balancing X at this vul?

ahydra

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-August-17, 16:01

I pass, but not 'in the sense of trap pass'
If I pass and partner doubles, I'd rather offer the choice of 4S and 3NT than defend.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 17:21

FrancesHinden, on 2016-August-17, 16:01, said:

I pass, but not 'in the sense of trap pass'

Yes, this is important. I am not passing for trap purpose.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   amateur_ 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-17, 23:23

Last two posts are entering another topic - trap-pass. It would be educative and curious if respondents also elaborate on why they classify the pass in question as a trap-pass or nor.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 23:48

amateur_, on 2016-August-17, 23:23, said:

Last two posts are entering another topic - trap-pass. It would be educative and curious if respondents also elaborate on why they classify the pass in question as a trap-pass or nor.

Simply because you added your own interpretation of pass next to that option. This makes everyone who votes for PASS to agree with your interpretation. Frances wants to pass but not for the reasons attached next to the option.
Both she and I would pass and if pd reopens with DBL, I personally would go for our own game, rather than converting the double to penalty. If I voted for PASS with your attached (in-sense of trap pass) motivation, I would be expressing an intention to pass if pd doubles.

I suggest you and other people to either

a-not to make any attachments next to the poll options

OR

b-If you do, at least make another option of same choice without an attachment.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   amateur_ 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-18, 01:39

MrAce, on 2016-August-17, 23:48, said:

Simply because you added your own interpretation of pass next to that option. This makes everyone who votes for PASS to agree with your interpretation. Frances wants to pass but not for the reasons attached next to the option.
Both she and I would pass and if pd reopens with DBL, I personally would go for our own game, rather than converting the double to penalty. If I voted for PASS with your attached (in-sense of trap pass) motivation, I would be expressing an intention to pass if pd doubles.

I suggest you and other people to either

a-not to make any attachments next to the poll options

OR

b-If you do, at least make another option of same choice without an attachment.

Thank you for clarification and remarks - 4th option "Pass" was added.

I emphasized the topic "trap-pass" since its meaning is "an opening hand not eligible for any meaningful overcall or double" to me. Namely, trap-pass is not defined by or being a prerequisite for further bidding, including eventual decision to penalize or 2 or chase own game contract in this example.

Normal pass shall cover all hands not eligible for either meaningful overcall, double or trap-pass, which seems not applicable for our case.
Once offered a normal or trap-pass, every rebid by West shall exclusively depend on following auction i.e. type of initial pass could be hardly destinguished in many situations.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-18, 03:32

amateur_, on 2016-August-18, 01:39, said:

I emphasized the topic "trap-pass" since its meaning is "an opening hand not eligible for any meaningful overcall or double" to me. Namely, trap-pass is not defined by or being a prerequisite for further bidding, including eventual decision to penalize or 2 or chase own game contract in this example.

No, a trap pass is where you are looking to trap the opponents in a doubled contract after partner re-opens. Here we expect to score better in our own game than in 2X so we are not looking to trap.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2016-August-23, 04:26

Pass, but I am not converting.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic