BBO Discussion Forums: RKCB Queen ask - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

RKCB Queen ask

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2016-August-14, 14:44

Partner and I have taken the advice of several experts on this site that the most important thing is to get a good partnership understanding rather than always looking for this year's model of any particular convention. We are using the same Modern Acol Bidding book, which we like, and are gradually adding bits as we feel up to it.
We play RKCB, though I sometimes wonder why as we only play a couple of times a week and rarely get the sort of hand where it makes a difference (queen ask) compared with KCB. But we regard it as good practice for the longer term.

The book has a set of responses to the Queen Ask that I haven't come across elsewhere. I'd appreciate comments. If it's just different but not inferior we will stick with it.

(FYO, We only use the 'Queen ask' where we have discovered that we have all five key cards and are thinking about a possible grand slam, although I know that it can be used to help decide whether to stay in game or go for a small slam - that's for another day/year.)

Responses to Trump Queen Enquiry (Step System):
 Bidding one step up (cheapest bid - including trump suit or 5NT) = No trump queen
 Bidding two steps up (including trump suit or 5NT)= The trump queen, but no ‘non-trump’ kings
 Bidding any other non-trump suit = the trump queen AND the king of that suit. Bid the cheapest king if you have two or more.

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-August-14, 15:56

There are a number of different schemes around which all aim to allow responder to the queen ask to show more than just 'yes' / 'no'
The one you write up here are perfectly sensible, and they are easy to remember in the stye of 'the more you bid, the more you have'.

There are more complicated versions around, which are correspondingly harder to remember - in theory, if you are investigating whether to stop at the 5-level or bid a slam, then depending on the bid used for the queen ask and the trump suit, you may or may not have room below 5 of the trump suit to say something 'interesting', so you can play slightly different methods depending on the exact auction.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users