BBO Discussion Forums: How many possible, different bidding-auctions are there? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many possible, different bidding-auctions are there?

#1 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-14, 14:27

(We are talking abt auctions that are legal according to bridge-rules, not only the ones that are sensible...)

Just discovered this calculation, and it's actually beyond staggering :)

Before you check the link below, I invite you to work out with pen/paper -- or just have a guess ;) :

Assume North deals, and opens 7.
In how many different, legal ways (according to bridge-rules) can such an auction proceed before it completes?
[a] 38
[b] 388
[c] 3388
[d] infinity

http://tedmuller.us/...dgeAuctions.htm

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-14, 18:26

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-14, 14:27, said:

(We are talking abt auctions that are legal according to bridge-rules, not only the ones that are sensible...)

Before you check the link below, I invite you to work out with pen/paper -- or just have a guess ;) :

In how many different, legal ways (according to bridge-rules) can such an auction proceed before it completes?
[a] 38
[b] 388
[c] 3388
[d] infinity

Just think how many more possibilities there are once we start allowing for insufficient bids...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-August-14, 18:37

When you add in definitions, it also adds.

For example, 2D-P-P-P is one auction. However, there are likely several hundred variations on what Opener and Responder will have in this one auction.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-16, 08:33

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-August-14, 18:37, said:

When you add in definitions, it also adds.

Since the calculation doesn't care whether the auctions are meaningful or sensible, definitions are irrelevant.

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-August-16, 12:39

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-16, 08:33, said:

Since the calculation doesn't care whether the auctions are meaningful or sensible, definitions are irrelevant.

Sounds like some of my partnerships.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 13:21

3388 sounds about right
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-23, 10:16

I remember reading that there are more possible auctions than possible 52-card distributions.

If you design your auction (cooperatively with the opps) to just describe every card in your hands ('twas said), you will always have described the last cards by the 6 bid.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-24, 08:18

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-23, 10:16, said:

If you design your auction (cooperatively with the opps) to just describe every card in your hands ('twas said), you will always have described the last cards by the 6 bid.

So you have a choice between describing your hands completely and getting to a reasonable contract.

#9 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-26, 00:37

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-14, 14:27, said:

[a] 38
[b] 388
[c] 3388
[d] infinity

hi Stefan_O,

I love Ted Muller's and Richard Pavlicek's (rpbridge.net) bridge sites :)

Actually answer [d] is incorrect. ( I'm having one of my pedantic days - apologies :( ) It is an finite number, but a very. very, actually very, very, very large one.

It anyone wants some light relief from our lovely card game, it's worth logging into both Ted's and Richard's sites. Great fun!

#10 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 05:58

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-August-26, 00:37, said:

hi Stefan_O,

Actually answer [d] is incorrect. ( I'm having one of my pedantic days - apologies :( ) It is an finite number, but a very. very, actually very, very, very large one.

I think you misread the question. [c] 3388 is hardly a very, very, very large number.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#11 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-26, 06:24

View Postmasse24, on 2016-August-26, 05:58, said:

I think you misread the question. [c] 3388 is hardly a very, very, very large number.

Apologies everyone. I was so excited by the number that represented the number of possible auctions that I read the question incorrectly. (Must do better next time!)

#12 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 14:50

Had me worried for a moment! I thought the OP's question was "how many possible auctions are there (starting from scratch)" - and I was thinking, something preposterous like Graham's Number :blink: - that is, until I read the OP more carefully!

Starting from 7, doesn't look overly difficult. Let's consider the cases where 7 - with all its doubling options - is the final contract. There are seven cases: passed, two ways of being doubled (by E or W), then four ways of being doubled and redoubled.

Now for each of these seven cases, there are three ways in which the next bid of 7 can occur. Thereafter there are, once again, seven pass/double/redouble combos. That makes (7 x 3 x 7) possible ways in which 7 becomes the contract.

Also there are an equal number of cases where the next bid is 7NT (bypassing 7). Another (7 x 3 x 7)

Finally, for each 7 case, there are another 3 x 7 cases where the final outcome is 7NT. (7 x 3 x 7 x 3 x 7) in all.

So, to tot up:
7 +
(7 x 3 x 7) +
(7 x 3 x 7) +
(7 x 3 x 7 x 3 x 7)

On my calculator this comes to...... 3388 ..... bingo!

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-26, 20:14

LOL also misread the OP question.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 02:42

In fact, looking into the problem a bit further (perhaps I should drop Bridge and take up Maths.... :() I've figured out a fairly straightforward iterative formula for deriving the number of possible auctions An after an opening bid "n" where n is the number of possible bids higher than the opening bid.

A0 = 7
An = 7 + 21(A0 + A1 + ..... + An-1)

Using this formula, I get:
7NT: A = 7
7: A = 154
7: A = 3388
7: A = 74536
7: A = 1639792
etc.

I didn't try extending the process all the way down to 1, but at a rough estimate, I'd say that for 1 A = about 1046 or around ten billion billion billion billion billion...... :D

[edit]I wrote the above before looking at the Ted Muller link in the OP (honest! :unsure: ). Seems my guesstimate was out by a factor of about ten - but at least in the right ball-park!

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 09:41

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-August-27, 02:42, said:

I didn't try extending the process all the way down to 1, but at a rough estimate, I'd say that for 1 A = about 1046 or around ten who billion billion billion billion...... :D

[edit]I wrote the above before looking at the Ted Muller link in the OP (honest! :unsure: ). Seems my guesstimate was out by a factor of about ten - but at least in the right ball-park!

How do you get a factor of 10? The number in the link was 2.4 X 1018.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 10:35

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-27, 09:41, said:

How do you get a factor of 10? The number in the link was 2.4 X 1018.

Look again, Vamp... B-)

It is: 1.29 * 1047

#17 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-27, 10:43

Yes, I choose 7 in the intro question, because one would think "intuition" could at least give you some estimate in such a simple case.

I would just guessed it could be no more than "like a few dozens or so"... but looking into the math details, it turns out it multiplies much faster than one (I) would believe.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-27, 20:16

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-August-27, 02:42, said:

In fact, looking into the problem a bit further (perhaps I should drop Bridge and take up Maths.... :() I've figured out a fairly straightforward iterative formula for deriving the number of possible auctions An after an opening bid "n" where n is the number of possible bids higher than the opening bid.

A0 = 7
An = 7 + 21(A0 + A1 + ..... + An-1)

Isn't that essentially the same formula as in the article that the OP linked to? And it includes the grand total for starting from 1.

#19 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-28, 04:05

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-27, 20:16, said:

Isn't that essentially the same formula as in the article that the OP linked to? And it includes the grand total for starting from 1.

Yes it is. Sorry, I hadn't noticed the link in the OP before I started number crunching. But I figured it out for myself: cross my heart, I haven't plagiarised Ted Muller! Honest!

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-29, 08:29

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-August-28, 04:05, said:

Yes it is. Sorry, I hadn't noticed the link in the OP before I started number crunching. But I figured it out for myself: cross my heart, I haven't plagiarised Ted Muller! Honest!

I suppose there's something satisfying about the confirmation that your calculations were correct. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users