BBO Discussion Forums: GIB Passes Takeout X With 6 Hearts - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB Passes Takeout X With 6 Hearts

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-August-13, 12:11

ps yes i know i'm light for x i was just messing about
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 12:18

Wow. Par contract reached. Shame about the lead.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 16:39

20+ total points seems a bit much for a min double. With the favorable vul, perhaps sim indicate pass much more profitable. I think I'd want to tweak the double to be maybe 16+ and 2- spades, and if sim still favor passing, then fine.

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 17:46

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-August-13, 16:39, said:

20+ total points seems a bit much for a min double. With the favorable vul, perhaps sim indicate pass much more profitable. I think I'd want to tweak the double to be maybe 16+ and 2- spades, and if sim still favor passing, then fine.

I agree with your modification, but it does not seem right to me ever to pass. Give S the much more normal hand with stiff S and KQxx of H, or even xx of S and KQx of H and both contracts roll unless N leads DK and another. Even then 5H making is better.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 17:48

Delete duplicate

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 19:35

IMO it really depends on how nutty East is going to be for raising unfav. If East is going to raise all hands 4 trumps including flat hands, and you are giving South 20 counts, then with the extra values there might be enough 800/1100/1400s in there to show a decent profit passing it out vs. bidding 5 only (though bidding 6h might be better).

If East is going to be saner and have a side stiff or void along with the 4 trumps, pulling is going to be better since you won't take quite as many tricks defensively + they'll make it more often.

So I think the combo of giving South too strong hands and probably also east too flat hands probably makes it think sitting is right. Or maybe book bid is pass and it's not considering pulling at all.

I agree pull is normal against sane opps.

#7 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 19:43

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-August-13, 16:39, said:

I don't know what's your exact modification, " 16+ " shows exactly " HCP" or " TPs" ?
I think 16+hcp is reasonable.
Can you tell us?

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-14, 03:01

Ok, you were only messing around with GIB, eagles123, but with the North hand, I'd even believe that 6 (at a stretch) could possibly be on, let alone 5 when you X.

The computer says 'No' again :(

It's interesting, by the way, how many recent posts are complaining about GIB bugs. It's never going to be perfect, or understand everything a human does - and that'll be a frightening scenario if it got to that point - but surely it understands (or doesn't in this instance) a takeout X when it sees one. Back to the drawing, sorry, circuit board.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users