Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where did it go wrong?

#1 User is offline   kjpod 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 18:20

Swiss teams. 2 was forcing and implied more than minimum. Comment by the players about their own bids:
4: "Yes it's a 4-3 fit but may be better than 3NT if partner is empty in clubs."
4: "I really haven't shown my hand's true strength yet."
6: "If my partner can make a move towards slam, I can hardly refuse given all my controls."

Contract wasn't hopeless but needed a bit more luck than was available.

Who should have found the green card in their bidding box first?

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 18:59

Don't like 4. If partner has xxx in clubs and you have to ruff with the long hand, you'll probably need a 3-3 trump split (assuming P is a min). Presumably 2S was forcing at least past 2N, so opener has already eschewed the chance to bid NTs once - bidding 3N is hardly going to promise a double stop, so P will still have time to pull if he happens to hold a small doubleton.

4 seems too optimistic opposite a known misfit. Even if opener has the magic AKJxxx in diamonds, and otherwise the same hand as he has, you still need a bit of luck to find the twelfth trick (and diamonds could still split 5-1). Meanwhile, if opener has eg - AKxx AJxxxx AKx, you're already in serious trouble at the five level. (also, how strong are your reverses? If they can be less than West had, East's bidding looks a lot worse)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 19:21

View PostJinksy, on 2016-August-12, 18:59, said:

Don't like 4. If partner has xxx in clubs and you have to ruff with the long hand, you'll probably need a 3-3 trump split (assuming P is a min). Presumably 2S was forcing at last past 2N, so opener has already eschewed the chance to bid NTs once - bidding 3N is hardly going to promise a double stop, so P will still have time to pull if he happens to hold a small doubleton.

4 seems too optimistic opposite a known misfit. Even if opener has the magic AKJxxx in diamonds, and otherwise the same hand as he has, you still need a bit of luck to find the twelfth trick (and diamonds could still split 5-1). Meanwhile, if opener has eg - AKxx AJxxxx AKx, you're already in serious trouble at the five level. (also, how strong are your reverses? If they can be less than West had, East's bidding looks a lot worse)

3h was silly. why is east supporting hearts on 3 when he's got such a good spade suit and a great diamond card?

i expect 3S over 2h would have been a better bid though to get the values and good suit across.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 19:30

View Postkjpod, on 2016-August-12, 18:20, said:

Who should have found the green card in their bidding box first?

I can understand the 3 bid by E, willing to hear NT or 3. Q as Wank said good card but I would not set diamonds as trumps yet. Pd still can hold same hand with Qx and stiff small

I agree with JInksy about the 4 bid. Instead I would bid 3 NT with W hand and 4 NT quantitative with E hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-13, 02:00

If I was west I would not bid 4, because I would not be sure how many hearts partner has. She could be showing good spades, but wants me to support, if I can. I have clubs covered once, so I try 3nt instead and let partner continue from there.

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 02:51

I like MrAce's 3N by W (over 3H) and 4N by E, which W should pass. Though 3S is an alternative to 3H.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 04:31

i like the 4h bid. opposite a useless misfitting bag of mush, 4h on a moysian is going to be the best game, ruffing the diamonds good in the short hand to use as surrogate trumps.

as far as i'm concerned, 3H shows a hand that's not keen on NT, probably weak in clubs.

opposite something like ajxxx qxx xx xxx 4h is a great contract and 3NT is dubious.

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 05:49

I do not like the 3 bid though many would make it.
2 promised already a good diamond suit in an unbalanced hand
I think 2NT is better not least because it shows the club stopper and leaves more room.
Preserving space is crucial on these auctions
With a good hand East should bit 3 over 2NT with Qx or better.
With ajxxx qxx xx xxx or similar bid 3 showing doubt about clubs
With the actual hand East should bid 3 over 2NT.
West bids 3NT and East 4NT.

Rainer Herrmann

#9 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-August-13, 05:59

View Postrhm, on 2016-August-13, 05:49, said:

2 promised already a good diamond suit in an unbalanced hand

Why? What would you rebid with e.g. x AKJx Kxxxx AQx?

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 06:24

View Postnullve, on 2016-August-13, 05:59, said:

Why? What would you rebid with e.g. x AKJx Kxxxx AQx?

Maybe I should have said suggested a good suit instead of "promised".
Of course I also bid 2, but the diamond suit is clearly substandard for the reverse and I would not stretch to reverse with such a suit.
Assuming a minimum of 5 cards in diamonds and 17 HCP simple arithmetic will tell you that diamonds will usually be better than that, 6-7 HCP in diamonds being average.
Bidding diamonds again should show better diamonds than AKxxxx in my opinion. I might rebid such a suit after a reverse as a last resort, say with a singleton club.
What to bid over 2 with your suggested hand depends on agreement, but if 2 is game forcing a jump to 3NT looks spot on. (Minimum misfit with good stopper in clubs)
But even if a jump to 3NT shows something else just bid 2NT followed by 3NT, even if partner suggests diamonds.

Big deal.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-15, 02:55

I like thing easy. Whenever I know of a major fit I show it inmediately if I can do it in a forcing way, there are some exceptions, but we all know them.

This means 2 bid denied 4. The 3 Bid was thus correct, leaving some space to partner to bid 3 or 3NT with no pressure. 3 might had been better, aiming for the 6-1 fit before it is too late, but its close.

The 4 bid was totally wrong. 3NT is crystal clear. Let's review what we have shown:

6+ (exceptionally 5), 4, and no big stopper in clubs (Failure to bid 2NT previous round). Given our previous bidding A10 is in the 90%+ strongest possible holdings in clubs. 3NT is not a final decision, it is a proposal that partner migh accept or reject based on his hand.

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-15, 06:41

View PostFluffy, on 2016-August-15, 02:55, said:

3NT is not a final decision, it is a proposal that partner migh accept or reject based on his hand.

when are you expecting responder to pull to 3nt to 4H? i'd guess somewhere in the region of never.

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-15, 11:35

View Postwank, on 2016-August-15, 06:41, said:

when are you expecting responder to pull to 3nt to 4H? i'd guess somewhere in the region of never.

No, but certainly 5 is a solid proposition with xxx and Qx(x)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users