Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does anyone here listen?

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 14:56

I wonder if all the posts here by the various posters actually get reviewed (or even actioned) by the programmers of GIB.

Are they being reviewed?

Or do you rely on one %&!%W£$£^ to reply to every post here (in their own inimitable way) and hope the absence of challenge to %&!%W£$£^ implies concession and therefore NO NEED FOR ACTION attitude by the actual programmers of GIB.

O Romeo, Romeo, Wherefore art thou, Romeo? Deny thy payer and refuse thy name; or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my SuperUser and I'll no longer be a paid Robot User!

#2 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 16:10

I totally share your concerns.

The extremely low BBO-staff participation and respons in this forum is frustrating,
and gives an overwhelming impression that the Gib robot-software, unfortunately,
is just too complex and cryptic in design to do any kind of serious maintanence-work on.

The top-pinned release-notes thread in this forum
http://www.bridgebas...100#entry882525
has not been updated by BBO since March, in spite of the many bugs and issues reported here since then,
so you can draw your own conclusions...

Unless BBO cuts a deal with some of the actively developed softwares (Jack, Wbridge, etc) to replace Gib,
I am pretty sure, overall, we will never see much of an improvement to what we have today.

#3 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 16:56

It was particularly, when I saw this:

http://www.bridgebas...dding-database/
(see gibware link)

that I came to conclude how hopeless the current situation probably is.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 18:36

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-12, 16:10, said:

Unless BBO cuts a deal with some of the actively developed softwares (Jack, Wbridge, etc) to replace Gib,
I am pretty sure, overall, we will never see much of an improvement to what we have today.

I think that this is unlikely. People pay to play with GIB and most will continue to do so. The only upside would be to give the player a robot that plays better bridge, but since many wouldn't notice or don't care, it would be a poor business proposition.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 18:06

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-12, 16:10, said:

I totally share your concerns.

The extremely low BBO-staff participation and respons in this forum is frustrating,
and gives an overwhelming impression that the Gib robot-software, unfortunately,
is just too complex and cryptic in design to do any kind of serious maintanence-work on.

The top-pinned release-notes thread in this forum
http://www.bridgebas...100#entry882525
has not been updated by BBO since March, in spite of the many bugs and issues reported here since then,
so you can draw your own conclusions...

It has been 9 months or so since Fred Gitelman's comments here about BBO's efforts to improve GIB. He was extremely adamant that it was a high priority. I have been mostly quiet in terms of criticizing BBO's efforts since, as I thought it was fair to see what happened over time. Perhaps a group of you should send him a copy of his own message, and tell him your opinion of BBO's progress since that time. Vampyr may be correct though. In addition to his points, since ACBL has subsequently agreed to make BBO and GIB the exclusive provider of masterpoints for competition against robots, there may be little incentive for BBO to improve the robots' performance.

#6 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 06:21

View Postiandayre, on 2016-August-13, 18:06, said:

He was extremely adamant that it was a high priority.

Mmmm.... yeah.... you would be a fool to really believe that, wouldnt you? :unsure:

But, as I wrote, of course, it is not that they wouldnt LIKE to improve Gib.
Just, its design seems so complicated that it is probably next to impossible to find people who
can do a meaningful job on it --- at least, without having a NASA project budget or sthg...
hmmm.... maybe we should ask Obama? :D

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 08:54

View PostStefan_O, on 2016-August-14, 06:21, said:

Mmmm.... yeah.... you would be a fool to really believe that, wouldnt you? :unsure:

I have never doubted the integrity of Fred's comments and commitments expressed in this forum and I am not about to start now.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 08:56

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-12, 18:36, said:

I think that this is unlikely. People pay to play with GIB and most will continue to do so. The only upside would be to give the player a robot that plays better bridge, but since many wouldn't notice or don't care, it would be a poor business proposition.

It all depends on what BBO is paying programmers to fix bugs in GIB versus paying the owner of a 3rd party bridge program like Jack for the rights to use their program and maintenance. In theory, they should be able to charge more for a better program, ie, they charge more for advanced GIB than basic GIB, and could charge for letting users select different bidding and signals in play as a premium option.

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 09:31

It's my understanding that Georgi is still the primary GIB programmer, and has been for several years. He used to reply to a great many posts, but that practice stopped 16 months ago. See this related thread: http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry882624 . The posts there are a little disjointed, because some rude intertwined posts have been removed, but the point is still the same: there has been virtually no feedback from BBO staff (with the exception of that one post from Fred) since April 2015.

#10 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 12:21

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-August-14, 08:54, said:

I have never doubted the integrity of Fred's comments and commitments expressed in this forum and I am not about to start now.

Yes, that may be... but where do you see the actual results from these commitments?

Particularly, the almost total lack of communication/response in a stated high-prio area, I just find hard to account for...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users