• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An interesting RKC hand

#1 User is offline   2200 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 13:22

Hi all,
the following hand is from the 4th segment of the World Youth Bridge Championship Final, between China and Poland.
10xx
Axxxxx
A
KQx

KQx
KQ10xx
KQJx
x
The bidding procedure from both table is almost the same: South opened 1H, forcing raise from North, after some cuebid South launched RKC. Here is the difference:
At Chinese table, North replied 5S, 2 with Q because of the extra length. It seems rountine but it's already disaster since it's already beyond 5H and South cannot stop.
Fortunately for China, E doubled 5S(with 2 black Aces), South passed and North ran to 5NT, making 5.

However, at Polish table, North replied 5H, 2 without! Therefore, Poland safely stopped at 5H.

Does anybody know why Polish North didn't count extra length, or he simply "feeled" something is wrong?

Thx.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 13:53

View Post2200, on 2016-August-12, 13:22, said:

Hi all,
the following hand is from the 4th segment of the World Youth Bridge Championship Final, between China and Poland.
10xx
Axxxxx
A
KQx

KQx
KQ10xx
KQJx
x
The bidding procedure from both table is almost the same: South opened 1H, forcing raise from North, after some cuebid South launched RKC. Here is the difference:
At Chinese table, North replied 5S, 2 with Q because of the extra length. It seems rountine but it's already disaster since it's already beyond 5H and South cannot stop.
Fortunately for China, E doubled 5S(with 2 black Aces), South passed and North ran to 5NT, making 5.

However, at Polish table, North replied 5H, 2 without! Therefore, Poland safely stopped at 5H.

Does anybody know why Polish North didn't count extra length, or he simply "feeled" something is wrong?

Thx.

it's only a junior tournament. i suspect north was just unaware of the option of showing extra length as the queen there.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 15:12

There is always a lot to say for showing it on this position, even with the real Q I've found several times that bidding 5 is wrong with a client :)

#4 User is offline   2200 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 15:14

View Postwank, on 2016-August-12, 13:53, said:

it's only a junior tournament. i suspect north was just unaware of the option of showing extra length as the queen there.

I'm sorry but I think North is THE Klukowski, the guy who won the Bermuda Bowl first then play the junior tourney.

#5 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 15:25

View Post2200, on 2016-August-12, 15:14, said:

I'm sorry but I think North is THE Klukowski, the guy who won the Bermuda Bowl first then play the junior tourney.

It doesn't mean South is THE Gawrys who could interpret "THE Klukowski" and what he intended as the meaning of the bid. Does it?

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 16:53

View Postshyams, on 2016-August-12, 15:25, said:

It doesn't mean South is THE Gawrys who could interpret "THE Klukowski" and what he intended as the meaning of the bid. Does it?

What you say is irrelevant. Whether S was Gawrys or someone else, 5 would show the Q and 5 would not. Neither would know whether he really have the Q or 5+ support.

Anyway, entire problem with this hand is that the wrong side asked the RKCB. If 2+Q is not enough for you to bid slam, and that will put you above your 5 level, then DON"T ask RKCB.

I have to admit though, asking RKCB by North, would not help much either if missing keycard was the K of trumps, due to 11 card fit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 16:59

View PostMrAce, on 2016-August-12, 16:53, said:

What you say is irrelevant. Whether S was Gawrys or someone else, 5 would show the Q and 5 would not. Neither would know whether he really have the Q or 5+ support.

Anyway, entire problem with this hand is that the wrong side asked the RKCB. If 2+Q is not enough for you to bid slam, and that will put you above your 5 level, then DON"T ask RKCB.

I have to admit though, asking RKCB by North, would not help much either if missing keycard was the K of trumps, due to 11 card fit.

Or use 4 as your ace ask so the 2+ reply is 5

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-13, 03:51

It's imaginative to reply 5 because of the extra length, but that's not what you have been asked to do.

South (even with the aceless hand - not really the one to be using RKCB) was "in control" (or so he thought) never expecting a response beyond 5 as he had the Q.

There are plenty of South hands that can be constructed where 6 is off by using your imagination of replying 5, and not just this one.

Or, at the very best giving yourself a 50% or so chance or making/going down depending on the split. And that's not good odds usually to bid a small slam, but it happens :)

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-August-13, 04:01

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-August-13, 03:51, said:

It's imaginative to reply 5 because of the extra length, but that's not what you have been asked to do.

South (even with the aceless hand - not really the one to be using RKCB) was "in control" (or so he thought) never expecting a response beyond 5 as he had the Q.

There are plenty of South hands that can be constructed where 6 is off by using your imagination of replying 5, and not just this one.

Or, at the very best giving yourself a 50% or so chance or making/going down depending on the split. And that's not good odds usually to bid a small slam, but it happens :)

This is utterly wrong, it's 100% normal to show the extra length, partner is just as likely to have Kxxxx where the extra trumps are crucial.

#10 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-15, 10:49

View PostFluffy, on 2016-August-12, 15:12, said:

There is always a lot to say for showing it on this position, even with the real Q I've found several times that bidding 5 is wrong with a client :)

😂

It reminds me of stories told by friends (who obviously play much better than me)

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-15, 14:30

LOL I guess.

North didn't show the hQ because there was a huge chance partner held it anyway, so responding 5S had everything to lose and very little to gain, even if he feeled it.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-August-16, 12:05

It may also be that in cueing controls North became concerned that there might be 2 As missing. We can't tell if that was possible without the actual auctions.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users