#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-August-12, 08:17

First, I won't give you your hand.

Partner opens 1-P-1-(1)-6.

What's the worst hand you can imagine for a reasonable 6 call?

If you have the diamond Ace and Jack, and the heart Ace and King, what is the worst hand he can have?

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 09:53

I find it hard to imagine any hand that makes 6D a reasonable call.

If 6D has play then 7D should be in your crosshairs, but leaping to 6D kills any meaningful dialog to investigate it.

If 6D is intended as a pre-empt then it seems precipitous given the slow start.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-August-12, 10:35

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-August-12, 09:53, said:

I find it hard to imagine any hand that makes 6D a reasonable call.

If 6D has play then 7D should be in your crosshairs, but leaping to 6D kills any meaningful dialog to investigate it.

If 6D is intended as a pre-empt then it seems precipitous given the slow start.

Any call that gives a complete description of your hand to partner in one leaping bid kills any ability to have a lengthy discussion about it, but a discussion is not needed. Sort of like trying to figure out your 2015 gross income by reviewing the hourly rate, the hours work, the overtime rate, the overtime hours, bonuses, and the like. Long discussion. But, if you hand me your 1040, that ends the discussion quickly, but efficiently.

My point is that 6 can only logically mean roughly one thing, generally, with variations on a central theme possible. I would imagine that all would agree on basic parameters:

1. Solid (A-K-Q) club trick source of at least 6 cards

2. Void in a major

3. Ace in the other major

4. Excellent diamond support

I would also imagine that Opener would have to have a hand where making this picture bid is critical because other options do not allow asking effective questions. Some options, for example, might risk taking too long (where a heart blast might mess things up). Some options might not answer the right question (like RKCB without mentioning the void). Some options might not be available (like the partnership lacks Exclusion). Some auctions might be predictably doomed to confusion and no clear agreements (as ALL auctions involving minor slam tries end up being).

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-12, 10:40

Reconsidering
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 11:01

I suppose a hand like Ax v KQxxx AKxxxx might bid that hoping partner just has something fitting and not wanting to bid exclusion for fear of opps finding a cheap sacrifice.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 12:20

void, void, KQxxx, KJxxxxxx or similar, he guesses you have one of the key aces, and that you'll know what to do with 2, and has no sensible means of investigation.

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 14:52

Its difficult to come up with an opening hand that could not bid rkc/exclusion for whatever reasons and the opp are bidding so little!

#8 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 15:01

I'd say a hand like A - KQJxx KQJT9xx OR - A KQJxx KQJT9xx

If North has top controls in both Minors, North is expected to raise to a grand slam. Otherwise, we pass and pray/play...?

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-August-12, 15:29

sorry but some of these examples would bid exclusion or rkc or gsf.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 15:56

Maybe it should be a bit like a 5M opener: 6D shows 12 playing tricks with a trump loser (Ace or King).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 16:03

I can think of lots of criminally insane hands but you specified "reasonable".

Ax in either major with a void in the other, 5 small(ish) diamonds and AKxxxx of clubs
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 20:27

View Postmike777, on 2016-August-12, 15:29, said:

sorry but some of these examples would bid exclusion or rkc or gsf.
I wouldn't think your average pickup partner plays exclusion.

#13 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 20:33

It wouldn't be unbelievable to do it on ---, xxx, AKQx, AKQJxx if your opponent "knows" you are expecting a heart lead. Given that you might not make 5 on a heart lead, is this such a bad shot?

Now given that responder can rule this hand out because he has the worthless H-AK and the useful DA, I'm guessing that opener is missing 2 minor suit cards and I wouldn't bid 7. If the HA is useful (say: --, x, KQxxx, AKxxxxx), I'll pay off.

#14 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 20:41

Just because you can bid exclusion, it doesn't mean it's tactically right to do so. I think it's quite important to note that we are outranked here, so if you bid say 4H for exclusion, how happy would you expect to be if it is doubled and they bid 6H over 6D or 7H over 7D? At least if you bid 6D right off you force LHO to guess whether or not to bid 6H, and in a punt-ish auction, they will likely just hope you have misguessed.
Wayne Somerville

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-August-12, 21:25

My actual hand was Ax-0-Kxxxx-AKQxxx. Partner had a tough problem with the Ace-King in hearts, diamond AJxx, and 3 clubs. At IMP, 7D seems possible. At MP, 6NT seems possible. Pass is probably right, though.

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-August-12, 22:14

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-August-12, 20:27, said:

I wouldn't think your average pickup partner plays exclusion.

perhaps not but the rules of the game tell us that our partner and the opp are true experts/world class unless we are told otherwise. We do not assume partner is a novice or nonexpert in bidding challenge unless we are told that.

I do agree these bidding problems come out differently if we assume pard is an average ACBL nonexpert level player or worse.

#17 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-August-12, 22:19

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-August-12, 21:25, said:

My actual hand was Ax-0-Kxxxx-AKQxxx. Partner had a tough problem with the Ace-King in hearts, diamond AJxx, and 3 clubs. At IMP, 7D seems possible. At MP, 6NT seems possible. Pass is probably right, though.

As we guessed exclusion was an option.

even old blacky would have been an option for nonexperts/novices :).

#18 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 23:29

View Postmike777, on 2016-August-12, 22:14, said:

perhaps not but the rules of the game tell us that our partner and the opp are true experts/world class unless we are told otherwise. We do not assume partner is a novice or nonexpert in bidding challenge unless we are told that.

I do agree these bidding problems come out differently if we assume pard is an average ACBL nonexpert level player or worse.
I am new here so maybe you can tell me what is wrong with the following thinking:

I noticed an Expert Bridge forum and a General Bridge discussion. It makes sense to me that a bidding problem that assumes an expert game would be in the Expert Bridge forum, while a bidding problem that occurred here on BBO where you waltzed into a table at the Main Bridge Club would be in the General Bridge Discussion.

Taking the other side of that argument implies a rather dark truth in my mind - that if the General Discussion is for experts (real experts, not the "expert" I'm being told I should call myself in another thread), that somewhere in the high nineties percent of players, including me, have no business posting here. I can't believe that's what is intended.

I'm not trying to be a pain here - I'm just stating what makes sense to a site newcomer and asking someone to tell me what is wrong with my thinking.

#19 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 23:31

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-August-12, 23:29, said:

I am new here so maybe you can tell me what is wrong with the following thinking:

I noticed an Expert Bridge forum and a General Bridge discussion. It makes sense to me that a bidding problem that assumes an expert game would be in the Expert Bridge forum, while a bidding problem that occurred here on BBO where you waltzed into a table at the Main Bridge Club would be in the General Bridge Discussion.

Taking the other side of that argument implies a rather dark truth in my mind - that if the General Discussion is for experts (real experts, not the "expert" I'm being told I should call myself in another thread), that somewhere in the high nineties percent of players, including me, have no business posting here. I can't believe that's what is intended.

I'm not trying to be a pain here - I'm just stating what makes sense to a site newcomer and asking someone to tell me what is wrong with my thinking.

It's not so much as only experts can post, but you just generally need to assume the opps are not going to do anything stupid unless it is specifically stated they are weak players.
Wayne Somerville

#20 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-13, 01:52

The question asker must be playing opposite a partner who plays "Papa Mamma" bridge and who must have never even heard of any conventions or gadgets.I expect something like A,x,KQxxx,AKQxxx and would have bid 7D in a flash to make the cold contract or to teach him a lesson or two,if he produces a different hand with no chances.Of course,with such a hand 2C opening is obvious but perhaps not "Papa Momma" style.As regards the worst hand ,it could be S-Void,H-x,D-xxxxxx,C-AKQxxx.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users