• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the worst hand?

#61 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-17, 10:58

Kaitlyn S, on 2016-August-16, 10:02, said:

A pair that seemed to have their stuff together had a 2/1 auction that started 1D (P) 2C (P) 3H (several cue bids to 6C.) On lead, I asked if the 3H bid showed shortness. "It's supposed to!" was the answer. I led and dummy hits with H-AQJxx. So, even if a pair has an agreement about an unusual situation, they might not both have remembered it.

Is it certain that Dummy misbid rather than Declarer giving the wrong explanation? If you were damaged by this then it would have been quite legitimate to ask the TD to look into the matter as Dummy has a duty to correct the explanation in the latter case.
(-: Zel :-)

#62 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 13:27

Zelandakh, on 2016-August-17, 10:58, said:

Is it certain that Dummy misbid rather than Declarer giving the wrong explanation? If you were damaged by this then it would have been quite legitimate to ask the TD to look into the matter as Dummy has a duty to correct the explanation in the latter case.
I was not damaged as 6C was cold but even if I was, this deal was in the Main Bridge Club so there is no redress.

#63 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-17, 14:21

Kaitlyn S, on 2016-August-17, 13:27, said:

I was not damaged as 6C was cold but even if I was, this deal was in the Main Bridge Club so there is no redress.

Dummy with AQJxx self-alerted the call as showing heart shortage?

#64 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 14:46

Zelandakh, on 2016-August-17, 14:21, said:

Dummy with AQJxx self-alerted the call as showing heart shortage?
Nobody alerted anything. I asked if 3H showed shortness before I led and declarer said "It should."

I guess I should have been warned by the non-alert but TBH I thought that this was such a standard treatment in 2/1 that it didn't occur to me that the fact that it wasn't alerted would imply hearts.

#65 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-17, 16:25

Assuming Dummy is not a beginner, I would have been asking why they did not say anything.

#66 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-21, 13:57

billw55, on 2016-August-15, 14:40, said:

I was thinking that too. Wouldn't 2 be a forcing diamond raise? And leave us room to nose around for grand as well. Downside is ... that ops may be able to find a paying sac in 6M? Perhaps, but then again, they might anyway.

Cuebid = support is what most people play.

However it is a mistake to play cuebid by opener as support, in fact it should deny support (at elast when responder showed a major). When responder has shown a major you have 3 direct raises, 2 splinters and even 4m raise to show 4c support in all fashions.

Cuebid by opener should be preserved for the common, yet unbidable strong single suiter.

#67 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-21, 15:41

Fluffy, on 2016-August-21, 13:57, said:

Cuebid = support is what most people play.

However it is a mistake to play cuebid by opener as support, in fact it should deny support (at elast when responder showed a major). When responder has shown a major you have 3 direct raises, 2 splinters and even 4m raise to show 4c support in all fashions.

Cuebid by opener should be preserved for the common, yet unbidable strong single suiter.
So you open 1C on Kx, AKQx, xx, AKQJx because you don't like 2C followed by 2NT or 2C followed by 3C and surprise! Partner responds 1H and RHO overcalls 1S. Don't you think a cuebid followed by a jump to 4H (if possible) is perfect? You have tons of raises, but none describe a hand this good, and a raise to 5H focuses on the wrong thing and also may go down, whereas Old Black won't help much if the overcall was made on QJxxx of spades and AKx of diamonds.

#68 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-22, 03:26

Kaitlyn S, on 2016-August-21, 15:41, said:

So you open 1C on Kx, AKQx, xx, AKQJx

You are correct that standard includes some strong raises within the cue bid but Fluffy's post makes it clear that he has 4 available for such a hand and that is a perfectly sensible way of playing.

#69 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-22, 03:29

This ^

#70 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-23, 09:01

Zelandakh, on 2016-August-22, 03:26, said:

You are correct that standard includes some strong raises within the cue bid but Fluffy's post makes it clear that he has 4 available for such a hand and that is a perfectly sensible way of playing.
I had the impression that 4C showed a long broken club suit that expected to make 4H.

43, AKJ5, 6, AQ10962

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users