• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the worst hand?

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-13, 02:32

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-August-12, 21:25, said:

My actual hand was Ax-0-Kxxxx-AKQxxx. Partner had a tough problem with the Ace-King in hearts, diamond AJxx, and 3 clubs. At IMP, 7D seems possible. At MP, 6NT seems possible. Pass is probably right, though.

I'd almost certainly GSF that

#22 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-13, 02:57

My actual hand was Ax-0-Kxxxx-AKQxxx. Partner had a tough problem with the Ace-King in hearts, diamond AJxx, and 3 clubs. At IMP, 7D seems possible. At MP, 6NT seems possible. Pass is probably right, though.

A direct 5NT Josephine comes into the equation too instead of wham-bam 6, I feel. [ That's if people actually use Josephine these days :) ]

Even with the 1 overcall, partner should be able to interpret 5NT surely.

#23 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-13, 06:00

I go with AKQxxx/x, HHxx/x, void in hearts and A, singleton or void. One void is pretty clear, because otherwise she would have no reason to blast. Good clubs are needed for tricks. HH to avoid 2 trump losers. Spades are harder, because 5nt would indicate no losers outside trumps, therefore a spade loser is a likely possibility. Would she do this with a singelton spade and a trump loser. It is very risky and probably unnecessary. Another possibility is that RKCB could take us overboard, so maybe 2 aces response would cause trouble, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. At least RKCB problem can be excluded.

#24 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 08:36

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-August-13, 01:52, said:

The question asker must be playing opposite a partner who plays "Papa Mamma" bridge and who must have never even heard of any conventions or gadgets.I expect something like A,x,KQxxx,AKQxxx and would have bid 7D in a flash to make the cold contract or to teach him a lesson or two,if he produces a different hand with no chances.Of course,with such a hand 2C opening is obvious but perhaps not "Papa Momma" style.As regards the worst hand ,it could be S-Void,H-x,D-xxxxxx,C-AKQxxx.
I'm guessing not. For that would say that the OP posted this to show that partner is a weak player, and although I've seen players propose problems to show that his/her spouse is brain dead, it doesn't make it any less despicable. I'd like to think that nobody posts here to show that they are despicable. If I had to guess, I would say that OP was playing with a partner he respects and legitimately felt partner's pain in the auction, and was curious what others thought of the predicament.

#25 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-August-13, 10:26

As I mentioned, this is a problem.

6NT opposite the hand I actually held is a mess if the diamonds dont come in, but 6D is safe (pitch spade loser or losers on hearts) barring a first round club ruff.

7D has the same issue in diamonds.

I think 2047 is possible, as well, which is why I asked. Ax-0-Kxxx-AKQxxxx?

Or, what about Ax-0-KQxxx-AKxxxx? 6D good, 7D/6N suck.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#26 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 11:55

P has A,x,kqxxx, AKQxxx at worst

#27 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 15:38

Why not a 5NT Josephine? 7 are probably ok if pard has AQ.

It reminds me of a thread where I had opened 1D on AK Kxxxx AKxxxx - (I dunno how to find it back...) and pard had bid 1H and I had done the same a bit boldly as my Ds were not solid and xxx could be a loser case. Here the Cs are solid.

#28 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 15:39

It reminds me of a thread where I had opened 1D on AK Kxxxx AKxxxx - (I dunno how to find it back...) and pard had bid 1H and I had done the same a bit boldly as my Ds were not solid and xxx could be a loser case. Here the Cs are solid.

At leastit conveys what you need from partner to bid 7 while 6D is less clear.

#29 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 15:41

At leastit conveys what you need from partner to bid 7 while 6D is less clear.

#30 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-13, 17:26

View Postzillahandp, on 2016-August-13, 11:55, said:

P has A,x,kqxxx, AKQxxx at worst
If partner knows Blackwood, he won't have this hand.

#31 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-August-13, 21:10

A, x, AKQx, AKJxxxx
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#32 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 02:35

Kaitlyn the question was whats the worst hand, look at the actual hand! The only logical explanation is the bidder taking achance on you having one ace or a lucky lead. Its bad bidding thats the point. There is no way the bid can be a try for seven whither slow arrival? blackwood cue bids all sorts of bids are available on the actual hand all better than 6d
The right bid would seem to be 5nt gsf, 6c reply neither 6d. One of ak of d so on actual hand 6d is raised to 7

#33 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 02:35

Kaitlyn the question was whats the worst hand, look at the actual hand! The only logical explanation is the bidder taking achance on you having one ace or a lucky lead. Its bad bidding thats the point. There is no way the bid can be a try for seven whither slow arrival? blackwood cue bids all sorts of bids are available on the actual hand all better than 6d
The right bid would seem to be 5nt gsf, 6c reply neither 6d. One of ak of d so on actual hand 6d is raised to 7

#34 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-August-14, 04:32

5NT has two issues, IMO.

The first issue is that five no-trump might be taking it as a choice of slams between clubs and diamonds. That seems unlikely. However imagine opener holding solid clubs King 4th in diamonds. In the actual layout but Opener 4 diamonds responder can cash Ace King of Hearts ditching 2 diamonds and make 6 clubs even if diamonds split poorly.

The greater problem is that in theory the Queen of Diamonds is not actually a needed card, in theory. I would imagine that on this hand responder is very likely to have 5 diamonds if he does not bid a major.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#35 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 07:48

No ken it can only be diamonds.

#36 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 07:51

And your theory it must be five is not sound what do you bid on kxx, kxx, xxxx, xxx, do you want to be declarer in nts?

#37 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 14:19

I cannot imagine anything other than a singleton in hearts, their suit (never void - a void would demand a cue bid or jump cue bid) excellent diamonds, solid clubs as a source of tricks, and the Ace of spades. e.g.

A
x
KQxxx
AKQxxx

So, if I had your hand, its an easy 7D bid.

#38 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 16:12

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-August-14, 14:19, said:

I cannot imagine anything other than a singleton in hearts, their suit (never void - a void would demand a cue bid or jump cue bid) excellent diamonds, solid clubs as a source of tricks, and the Ace of spades. e.g.

A
x
KQxxx
AKQxxx

So, if I had your hand, its an easy 7D bid.
Why wouldn't this hand bid 4NT?

#39 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-August-14, 18:40

View Postzillahandp, on 2016-August-14, 07:51, said:

And your theory it must be five is not sound what do you bid on kxx, kxx, xxxx, xxx, do you want to be declarer in nts?

Likely to have is not synonymous with must have.

-P.J. Painter.

#40 User is offline   ShirleyMqz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-14, 20:42

I'm not surprised by the actual hand.

The key thing here is that it has to show a hand that is massively minor-suit oriented. The opponents probably have a good fit available in one or both of the majors and you want to make it hard for them to find it and sacrifice over your minor suit slam.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users