BBO Discussion Forums: Advancer's 2C as artificial force - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advancer's 2C as artificial force

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 05:22

Does anyone of you play advancer's 2C as an artificial force? I'm not talking about (1C)-1S-(P)-2C as a transfer to diamonds, but rather (1D)-1S-(P)-2C as artificial.

I've recently seen two variants of this concept: one was suggested by one of the Italian pros (I think it was Duboin, but I'm not sure) in an article in a new bridge magazine (can't remember the name unfortunately; there was a link posted to it on Bridge Winners recently). The author suggested that advancer's 2C should switch place with the cue bid: (1D)--1H--(P)--2C would be a good heart raise or a general force, while the 2D cue bid would show clubs.

I saw the other variant on the Swedish Rimstedt twins juniors convention card: http://www.ecatsbrid...dt-Rimstedt.pdf They play after (1m)-1M-(P) that 2C is 10+ without major support (typically 5+ minor or NT invite+), and 2D+ are transfers.

Edit: The name of the magazine is Finesse: http://www.militos.org/finesse/

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 10:51

i play the first option. 2C is essentially drury so you can play standard drury continuations to differentiate the range of your overcall. the wider the range you play for overcalls, the more important this is.

i play an overcalling style where qtxxx and out is an overcall non-vul. i couple this with intermediate jump overcalls. this work very well for me - overcalls don't help the opponents during the play because you've not promised any values and on our strong hands we've got them off our chest immediately. personally i think weak jump overcalls are pretty useless and people just unthinkingly play them because they seem comparable to weak 2s.

#3 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 11:13

wank: My own experience with weak jump overcalls is so-so. I like them over nebulous openings since they consume space, for instance over Precision 1D but even more so against 2+ 1C balanced/natural. How do you define an intermediate jump overcall? Does it have to be a 6 card suit, what's the range, etc? I've been wanting to try two-suited jump overcalls (for instance Canapé Jump Overcalls, where 2M shows 11-16 with 4M and 5+m), but partner likes them weak.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 11:27

6 card suit, 13-16 if balancedish - a bit less if unbalanced. ideally that should mean no gap between the top of your jump and the bottom of double and bid.

i've found the opps often get into trouble after our jumps. considering we might have a shapely 12 count, they can still have a game on so feel the need to compete but are normally starting out at the 3 level. they often feel their best option is to make a sporting pass of a negative double and end up conceding 470 or they bid a dodgy game because they're already at the 3 level and now you can collect a penalty.

Advancer can also bid some pretty thin games which get missed on auctions like (1s) 2h (p) p (p)

btw i play the same stuff if 3rd hand bids. i still like the extra space there.

#5 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-August-18, 06:00

View PostKungsgeten, on 2016-August-12, 11:13, said:

I've been wanting to try two-suited jump overcalls (for instance Canapé Jump Overcalls, where 2M shows 11-16 with 4M and 5+m), but partner likes them weak.

Roman Jump Overcalls are similar. I play these in a system called "The Overcall Structure" which includes a Power Double (15+) and 1NT overcall for takeout. There is only one WJO in the system: (1) 2.

http://www.jeff-gold...em/foutnote.txt
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-August-19, 05:38

View PostKungsgeten, on 2016-August-12, 05:22, said:

Does anyone of you play advancer's 2C as an artificial force? I'm not talking about (1C)-1S-(P)-2C as a transfer to diamonds, but rather (1D)-1S-(P)-2C as artificial.

My 1M openings and 1M overcalls are sufficiently similar that it's possible to play almost identical structures (modulo ranges) over them. And since I'm very happy with what I play over my 1M openings, I play essentially the same structure over my 1M overcalls, too, even if it means that I'm not making the best use of the "cuebid" that in some cases becomes available. In particular, since 1M-2 is ART, I also play (1x)-1M-2 as ART.

#7 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-August-26, 15:45

Deleted post.
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#8 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-August-26, 15:45

Deleted, wrong question answered. See my post below.

#9 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2016-August-26, 18:52

View PostPrecisionL, on 2016-August-26, 15:45, said:

Yes, I play that a 2 response to one of a major opening bid is an artificial game force. I have tried various follow-ons and settled on 2 as a minimum hand and other bids under 2Nt by opener show majors 5-4 or so.
Many of my schemes were for a canape system (4-cd major openings).

An adjunct is that 2 and 2 responses are natural and can be passed with minimal support and/or minimum hands.

That's responder, what about advancer?
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#10 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-August-26, 19:37

View Postglen, on 2016-August-26, 18:52, said:

That's responder, what about advancer?

Whoops, we play transfers starting with a cue of opener's suit. That solves some problems. A bid below a cue bid would be constructive but not forcing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users