BBO Discussion Forums: Can this suit be played for 5 tricks? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can this suit be played for 5 tricks?

#1 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-09, 06:20

Playing in a speculative 3NT contract, you need to bring in five tricks from a not-altogether solid club suit. All you have to go on is that RHO has opened the bidding with 1H, and received a weak raise from his partner to 2, which he put up to 3. A heart was led and you won it in hand - you have three outside entries to dummy.

AQJxx

First pass goes 6-x-J-10. What should you play next?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-09, 07:04

Restricted choice says run a small card next. Empty spaces says play him for 10-9 and the empty space argument is reinforced by the weak hand having more non-honours. So it is very close.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 07:08

Where's the 5? If you don't have it, running the 7 would be playing for a grosvenor.

#4 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 07:54

You have the 5 - AQJ52 in hand

I had this hand in a recent game and was basically wondering how to interpret the play of the ten from LHO.

#5 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 11:35

View Postwank, on 2016-August-09, 07:08, said:

Where's the 5? If you don't have it, running the 7 would be playing for a grosvenor.

What a nit-picker!! :lol:
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 14:28

View Postwank, on 2016-August-09, 07:08, said:

Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 14:33

View Postel mister, on 2016-August-09, 07:54, said:

I had this hand in a recent game and was basically wondering how to interpret the play of the ten from LHO.

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-09, 23:53

Since only the club suit is shown,there can not be a sure shot way but to finesse the 7 next time.The phenomenon of restricted choice goes in its favour.But it depends upon who the LHO is and what is his usual style when defending.In a normal BBO game that's the play.I know only the great giants of bridge but if my LHO is someone like Hamman.or Garozzo(Sillafu),I shall be like the cat in the video as then whatever you play may turn out to be wrong.Anyhow, my answer is Same I.e. Finesse the 7.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-August-10, 00:14

If we exclude the grosvenor comment and add 5 to South hand, best reply is given by Helene.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-August-10, 01:54

The vacant space argument and restricted choice are neither exclusive to one another nor inconsistent with one another. The vacant space argument requires that you halve LHO's vacant spaces in accordance with restricted choice and having done so you arrive at the same odds as RC applied to a more brute force nCr + RC approach. Just as applying VS without RC arrives at the same odds as the nCr method sans RC
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 03:25

I'm not sure that restricted choice applies here. It is only valid when an opponent has a choice of two cards to play. In this example LHO could have dropped the 10 from a holding of 109x, if he were good enough (so probably not applicable on BBO, especially if LHO claims to be an expert).

So overall a close call. I would probably run the 8 plying against most oppo but repeat the finesse against genuine strong players.

#12 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 03:42

View PostGrahamJson, on 2016-August-10, 03:25, said:

I'm not sure that restricted choice applies here. It is only valid when an opponent has a choice of two cards to play. In this example LHO could have dropped the 10 from a holding of 109x, if he were good enough (so probably not applicable on BBO, especially if LHO claims to be an expert).

So overall a close call. I would probably run the 8 plying against most oppo but repeat the finesse against genuine strong players.

Restricted choice does still apply.
If LHO had played 10 from 109x, when you begin to run the 8 next, the Queen will pop up from the RHO's hand. Then there is no decision to make

#13 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-10, 04:05

More nit-picking from The_Badger :(

What has gone on before playing this suit? Declarer holding up three rounds of with the Ace? It might make a slight difference as to how you play the suit on the second round. As for a Grosvenor, playing the 10 smoothly from K 10 would be sublime.

#14 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 04:58

View Postshyams, on 2016-August-10, 03:42, said:

Restricted choice does still apply.
If LHO had played 10 from 109x, when you begin to run the 8 next, the Queen will pop up from the RHO's hand. Then there is no decision to make

Oops, it must be too early in the morning here. I need to wake up.

#15 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 09:27

Actually, you have not provided enough information for anyone to answer properly. While you have expressed dummy's entry status, declarer's outside entry status is unstated by also relevant.

There are, of course two alternatives after the first round play. One is to return to dummy and repeat the finesse against the King with RHO, playing LHO for T9 doubleton. The other option is to play RHO for K9xx and LHO for stiff Ten. But you cannot elect the second option unless declarer has the 6 spot to back up the AQJ AND unless there is a side entry to declarer's hand. Otherwise, RHO can simply cover with the 9 and his/her 6 will set up if you repeat the finesse. Even if you have the 6, you will be stuck on dummy after the third finesse, so you will need an entry to the closed hand to cash the two tricks established.

#16 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-August-10, 11:30

View Postel mister, on 2016-August-09, 06:20, said:

All you have to go on is that RHO has opened the bidding with 1H, and received a weak raise from his partner to 2, which he put up to 3.

So the bidding started something like

(1)-P-(2)-P; (3)

where perhaps 1 showed 5+ hearts and 3 was a preemptive reraise?

Then suppose you can see from your own hand and dummy that opps have either 8 or 9 hearts together.

If 8, then you know RHO has only 5. But then he would not have enough shape to bid 3 with only a 4c suit (9xxx) on the side. So you should definitely not run the eight.

If 9, then you can assume RHO has 6. But with 9xxx on the side he would probably either have blasted 4 or made a trial bid (by asking for help in clubs, say). So running the eight seems wrong for that reason alone.

#17 User is offline   aloman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-10, 23:18

It's easy. If RHO started with K9xx, you can't win the contract. He'll just play 9 on the next trick and you'll get stuck in dummy. You need 5 tricks from this suit to make the contract, so you don't have entry to your hand.

#18 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-11, 15:34

Yes

#19 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-14, 09:36

View Postaloman, on 2016-August-10, 23:18, said:

It's easy. If RHO started with K9xx, you can't win the contract. He'll just play 9 on the next trick and you'll get stuck in dummy. You need 5 tricks from this suit to make the contract, so you don't have entry to your hand.

Very pretty logic

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users