• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Correct play for 3 tricks 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-08, 11:59

What is best way to play for 3 tricks?

Am I correct that 9 of clubs is the key?

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-08, 12:10

View Postdickiegera, on 2016-August-08, 11:59, said:

I had a similar holding the other day. This was the trump suit, my rho had shown strength and diamond length. I believe I should have played him for Hx. Then I lead from the board toward my J. If he ducks, my J loses to the K/Q and now I play the A to drop his Q/K. And if he goes up when I lead from the board, I later hook.

I didn't do that, I think I should have. (one reason, it would have worked!)

But that's when I have some info from the auction. I need to think about the right line played cold.

This might be one of those game things where it matters whether you think your rho is up for smoothly playing low from Kx if you lead a spot from the board.
Ken

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 12:22

Play small towards AT, if you see LHO play a small card then insert T and if this loses try to cash A next round to drop the missing honor.
If LHO inserts Q or K, win with A and play the T from North.

This line will make 3 tricks

-Each time LHO has both K and Q (except KQ 4th or 5th )
-Each time LHO has stiff K or Q
-Each time LHO has Kx or Qx
-Each time someone has KQ doubleton.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 12:35

When LHO has KQ73, playing small to T does not work. Starting with J does. But this is shooting for very small target imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 15:32

View Postdickiegera, on 2016-August-08, 11:59, said:

According to the app at: www.suitplay.com
you should start with low from South, and finesse the ten if East follows low.
Then cash the Ace.
This gives you a 42.9565% chance of 3 tricks.

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-August-09, 05:06

This depends upon the earlier bidding and plays to the earlier tricks. they may offer you some clue whether you play a small and finesse the 10 or as Kenberg suggested small towards the jack .Without any clues, I prefer to play small towards the jack.

#7 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 09:29

The correct play is to lead small toward the ATxx and insert the 10 if LHO plays small or the 9.

If LHO plays the 9, you simply play for LHO to have begun with Q9 or K9 doubleton and next cash the Ace to fell this honor, for 3 tricks in the suit.

If LHO plays a smaller spot than the 9, you next have to decide whether it is more likely that LHO began with 2 or 3 cards in the suit. If you think it is 2 cards, you simply continue as if LHO had played the 9. If you think it is more likely to be 3 cards, you return to hand and lead the Jack, hoping to pin the now singleton 9 with RHO as you finesse for the high honor against LHO.

If LHO began with K9x or Q9x, there is no legitimate way to play this suit combination to produce 3 tricks.

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-August-09, 11:26

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-August-09, 09:29, said:

The correct play is to lead small toward the ATxx and insert the 10 if LHO plays small or the 9.

If LHO plays the 9, you simply play for LHO to have begun with Q9 or K9 doubleton and next cash the Ace to fell this honor, for 3 tricks in the suit.

If LHO plays a smaller spot than the 9, you next have to decide whether it is more likely that LHO began with 2 or 3 cards in the suit. If you think it is 2 cards, you simply continue as if LHO had played the 9. If you think it is more likely to be 3 cards, you return to hand and lead the Jack, hoping to pin the now singleton 9 with RHO as you finesse for the high honor against LHO.

If LHO began with K9x or Q9x, there is no legitimate way to play this suit combination to produce 3 tricks.

Right. I was thinking this was exactly the combo I had, but it isn't. In my case, had I played for Hx on my right I coould have brought in the suit with one loss. But here I would need H9 on my right, and that's asking too much unless I peek.
Ken

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 11:40

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-August-09, 09:29, said:

This isn't right. After the ten loses to an honor, it's overwhelmingly better to cash the ace next. Trying to pin the 9 basically caters to two holdings, Q9 and K9 with RHO. Cashing the ace caters to 4 Qx/Kx combos with LHO and KQ doubleton with righty. It's never a close decision once you've embarked on this path.

If LHO is marked with length enough to change the best line (e.g. RHO has 2 fewer vacant spaces), you are supposed to try to run the J first round.

No, you can run the J, and hook the ten next round. Or if LHO covers the J, on second round you can play low to t and duck if the 9 isn't produced. This is a reasonable play if the bidding/previous play have marked LHO as more likely long in the suit.

#10 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-09, 15:59

With nothing else to go on, play low to the ten. This wins whenever West has a singleton or doubleton honor, and also when he has KQx.

But maybe you have reason to believe that West is longer in clubs than East. If that's the case, you should play East for the doubleton honor by playing low off the board toward the Jack. If East plays his honor, you can hook West for the other one. If East ducks, the Ace will fell his doub honor.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-09, 16:06

Also, keep in your repertoire the correct play for two tricks with this layout.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users