Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you play this?

#1 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-07, 16:58

Most common agreement in my neck of the woods is that 2 is non-forcing, either constructive 8ish - (poor) 10 or nf 6 - 9 and the choice is this or redouble which could open a real can of worms if anyone else, including partner has similar shape. 3 would be weak.

Choices may change on different vul or mp's vs imps but this one was at mp's.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-07, 17:26

pls delete
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-07, 17:28

Around here it is forcing. Non-forcing puts a huge amount of pressure on the redouble, it seems to me.

Try transfers.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-08, 01:43

If North holds A & Ax,3NT is almost unbeatable from North's hand but finding & bidding of that is almost impossible.Considering opener has a 2/2.5 QTs & South has 7tricks hand,bidding 4 now appears to be reasonable.

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-August-08, 05:42

Although this hand is strong for a non-forcing 2C, it is non-forcing with everyone I know and it would be my call. Yes, it could be that 2C will be followed by three passes and 3NT is an easy make. It could also be that the opponents hold the ace of clubs and start the defense against 3NT by knocking out the heart entry and holding up in clubs. Presumably E has some clubs for his double and I have seven, I think placing the club ace on my right instead of in partner's hand has a decent chance of being right. Against 3NT they may start with a spade instead of a heart, but if we lack the club ace they may well be taking four spadesand the club ace.

I would like it if 2C showed just this hand but it doesn't, I could bid 2C if that heart ace were the K or even the Q. Not every hand can be described in total accuracy with one call. I start with 2C, I later bid 3C if I get another turn, we end up somewhere and then we go on. It would not amaze me if 3NT makes. It also would not amaze me if the hand goes down in 3NT but makes nine or ten (or eleven?) tricks in 3C. Or maybe we belong in 3D by partner. Just because 2C is nf doesn't mean partner can't bid 2D n a suitable hand. Or or or. So I start with 2C, not worrying all that much, hoping, and rather expecting, that I get another call. I suppose, on this day, that's not the way it goes.
Ken

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 05:52

For me 2 is forcing and would be my bid.

If not, I guess I have to redouble - but I don't like it (and that's why we play a new suit as forcing).

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-08, 08:20

Even if 2C is non forcing I expect a lot more bidding.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-09, 01:59

hi ggwhiz,

I'm for XX to show strength (at least 9+ points) as it doesn't take the bidding higher. Yes, it isn't the right sort of hand for XX, but with 3 card support I will risk that it doesn't turn into a penalty (re)double if partner has opened on a 3 card suit himself.

As Phil says: Even if 2C is non forcing I expect a lot more bidding. But the XX could well curtail any competitive action by the opponents, I feel too. (And even if they do compete, there's a solid suit on standby, and also an option in if partner rebids the suit.)

I'd rather tell partner immediately that we have the balance of strength, point-wise, but perhaps not distribution-wise, How the auction proceeds from there is anyone's guess.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users