BBO Discussion Forums: Suggestion - Hands per hour sorting - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion - Hands per hour sorting Tooooo sloooowwww players

#1 User is offline   DBass 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-05, 14:19

If you could implement some way to sort by speed of play, that would be great. It gets tiresome having to leave due to extremely slow play.

#2 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-06, 06:16

View PostDBass, on 2016-August-05, 14:19, said:

If you could implement some way to sort by speed of play, that would be great. It gets tiresome having to leave due to extremely slow play.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what is "extremely slow" according to you?

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-07, 21:08

According to Hands Records, DBass pretty consistently plays in MBC at 4 minutes per hand. I was expecting to find records indicating that he jumps around a lot, but he actually does it very seldom. He did leave one table after a hand took 10 minutes.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-07, 22:11

I like the proposal in principle, although I foresee a few practical issues, probably surmountable. It would be irrelevant what any individual player perceives as (insufferably) slow. They would vary, of course, but that would not matter. It would just affect the cutoff point in the rankings for each player separately.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-07, 22:12

The standard for live bridge in the ACBL is 8 hands an hour, and many experts play even slower.

Frankly, I frequently find myself playing too fast (and being implicitly pressured to play quickly) when I play online. I make too many careless mistakes and fail to think hands through (ending up taking inferior lines) far too often.

I realize the psychology of waiting online - when you aren't sure if the other person has suddenly disconnected - is different from waiting for someone you physically see.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 03:01

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-August-07, 21:08, said:

According to Hands Records, DBass pretty consistently plays in MBC at 4 minutes per hand. I was expecting to find records indicating that he jumps around a lot, but he actually does it very seldom. He did leave one table after a hand took 10 minutes.

Maybe the hand took 10 minutes because the other players had to wait 5 minutes for a replacement - who knows?

I wonder if the OP is one of the types that Ed likes to quote ("I didn't come here to think, I came to play bridge!") or, worse, one that types "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" to the table as soon as a player thinks about something for more than 10 seconds. If all you are interested in is playing random cards then you might consider playing in the RBC. You might also look into renting out the robots as they can be set to whichever speed of play you prefer. That would be good to remove you from the pool of opponents for players that actually like to think about the game from time to time.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-08, 09:12

Welcome to the forums, DBass. Please notice that we have separate forums for bridge in general and BBO specifically. I've moved this thread to one of the BBO-specific forums.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users