• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2C I suppose

#41 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-07, 09:49

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-August-06, 15:17, said:

After 1S, 5D is a silly bid. All partner needs is Kxxxx of spades to make 6S odds-on, and KQxxx to make a grand a good bet. Alternatively, 6 or 7D could be cold.

I agree. And I both said and meant that tact was not required in responses. :)

In retrospect, I believe that before opening 1D I should have, at the least, considered the likely non-jump responses of 1H, 1S, 1NT and 2C, and if I could not figure out what my next call would be over those I should have bitten the bullet and opened 2C. Opening 2C can go wrong but it can also go right. We are seldom offered perfect choices in bridge or in life.

jogs suggests maybe 1D-1S-4D, maybe as not too great a lie. Although I also understand this to show a strong 6-4 I would not haul it out online witha casual partner, or for that matter with a f2f partner that I have not discussed it with. And I am not 6-4. Reversing into 2H has its merits, and now if partner raises to 3H she will understand, maybe, after I bid 3S that I was just joking with the 2H. Or maybe she will take it as showing some spade values such as Ax and a try for 6H. Ok, if we get to 6H I can always correct to 6S.

All in all, I should have opened this 2C.
Ken

#42 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-August-07, 17:56

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-August-06, 15:17, said:

After 1S, 5D is a silly bid. All partner needs is Kxxxx of spades to make 6S odds-on, and KQxxx to make a grand a good bet. Alternatively, 6 or 7D could be cold.

Missing QTxxx is huge. I'm not convinced 6 is odds-on. I think(but not sure) it is less than 50/50.
Both spades and diamonds split 3-2 a little under 50% of the time. Assuming a heart lead 6 should fail with both spades and diamonds 3-2 whenever West has Qx or Qxx. You are taking the spade hook, aren't you?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users