Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

skewed scores

#1 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-04, 16:46

ok the other day ran into a situation that was unexpected and unwelcome but I THINK also unintended. An intermediate pair got into a battle to declare the contract and chased the bidding all the way up to 7NT xx. I was not at the table, I got called by a kib about it after the hand was over and the pair had moved on. They went down for about 2200 but neither of them left the tourney and the kib said both they and at least one of their opps apparently were laughing about the bidding while it was proceeding.

the question is, should I have done something and if so , what? If it had been a deliberate attempt to skew the scores, I would have expected one or both to bail from the tourney and neither one did. I don't see really how to be punitive about bad bidding, that way leads to madness and a degree of expertise ( and speed) I don't possess. In the unlikely event it ever happens again and one or both leave, then what?

#2 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-04, 17:42

Road rage can kill innocent bystanders.

I am not a director so I will not attempt to say what the rules are. I think for this particular pair you could send them a clear message that if they want to play in a tournament that you direct then they will not be doing this. Of course this assumes that it is clear that this was not an honest error. From the score, honest error seems unlikely, but you could look. And ask for other opinions. And I suppose bbo abuse would be interested.

It could be tricky to set a policy that would rectify such things, but explaining to this pair that this is not to happen twice could be straightforward. And then, if it happens twice, that's it. You use your powers to prevent thrice.

As to the chatter, whether they thought it was just so much fun, you can read the log, can you not?
Ken

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-04, 20:00

A bridge result was obtained. What basis do you think you would have for changing that? People are allowed to bid like assholes/morons.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-05, 06:17

View PostTylerE, on 2016-August-04, 20:00, said:

A bridge result was obtained. What basis do you think you would have for changing that? People are allowed to bid like assholes/morons.

I see 7NT sabotage results in scores from time to time. I always mark the player enemy. It is a ridiculous behavior that is solely intended to disrupt the enjoyment of others.

IMO such a player should be immediately booted from a tournament, and barred from future tournaments for an extended period.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-05, 11:06

I don't think it was intended as sabotage, I doubt they were thinking about being in a tourney I think they each just got stubborn, although the XX is over the top. I very nearly booted them but discussed it with a co-directer and we both thought it was ignorance rather than sabotage. If either one had left, then I would have considered it sabotage and banning from further tourneys would be automatic.
But in any case, the question remains, what to do, if anything, about the score?

I am not a yellow so no I can't read the chatter unless someone copies it and sends it to me, because I wasn't at the table when it happened, I got called after the hand was over by a kib. The kib ( and the opps) are on the web version, so chat is not saved so I've no way to access it. It would be a bit bizarre to ask the offenders to send me a copy of the chat so I could shout at them :)

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-05, 11:54

View Postonoway, on 2016-August-05, 11:06, said:

I don't think it was intended as sabotage, I doubt they were thinking about being in a tourney I think they each just got stubborn, although the XX is over the top. I very nearly booted them but discussed it with a co-directer and we both thought it was ignorance rather than sabotage. If either one had left, then I would have considered it sabotage and banning from further tourneys would be automatic.
But in any case, the question remains, what to do, if anything, about the score?

I think that if you believe they were actually attempting to play bridge, the score should stand. Probably remind them that playing unseriously affects other pairs as well.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-05, 14:32

hi Pam (onoway)

My father used to say "If it seems like nonsense, it usually is nonsense."

I played on another bridge site many years ago where this sort of thing happened regularly - 7NTxx contracts. It was totally ludicrous! I left.

I say "Once bitten, twice shy; twice bitten, let it fly [go]"

If it happens again please take action as this sort of behaviour ruins the enjoyment for other people. Keep a note of the hand for future reference. Hopefully it's a one-off: if not, BBO staff need to get involved.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-05, 14:57

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-August-05, 14:32, said:

hi Pam (onoway)

I think that if the OP had wanted her name published she would have put it in her forum profile or signature. Let's respect members' privacy.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-August-06, 00:32

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-August-05, 14:57, said:

I think that if the OP had wanted her name published she would have put it in her forum profile or signature. Let's respect members' privacy.

Ok, 1eyedjack, I shall take this on board. I was only trying to add a bit of a personal touch to the forum. (But given my own name is not in The_Badger profile these days, and for a very good reason, and I play under another name, I should respect others wishes to anonymity too.)

Thank you for bringing it to my attention :)

#10 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-07, 17:46

thank you for that. I don't actually mind my name being used, I carry it on my BBO profile but appreciate the consideration. :) As far as those people bidding like that again, then for sure they would get on the banned list. Actually I was surprised the only person who said anything about it was a kib, otherwise I wouldn't even have known it had even happened.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-08, 09:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-August-05, 14:32, said:

I played on another bridge site many years ago where this sort of thing happened regularly - 7NTxx contracts. It was totally ludicrous! I left.

The ludicrous ones usually involve someone jumping straight to 7NT early in the auction. It happens on BBO, too, when people want to sabotage the game.

But that doesn't seem to be what happened in the OP, where the players bid somewhat "normally" to 7NT.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 12:12

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-08, 09:27, said:

The ludicrous ones usually involve someone jumping straight to 7NT early in the auction. It happens on BBO, too, when people want to sabotage the game.

But that doesn't seem to be what happened in the OP, where the players bid somewhat "normally" to 7NT.

An auction has not been presented. I find it hard to imagine a "somewhat normal" auction leading to 7NTxx -2200. The OP did say that she thought they just got carried away. OK, but redouble? When down numerous tricks? As I said, at a minimum they need a warning about playing at least semi-seriously in tournaments.

-gwnn

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-08, 14:44

I doubt that -1100 v -2200 makes much difference to anything other than an aggregate scored event
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 12:00

They were fighting about what strain the contract should be played in all the way up, one step at a time after the initial auction which was I think ( not about to take the time to look it up now) 1X 3NT. I've seen that sort of thing before, just usually someone gives up earlier :) That was another reason I didn't think it was a deliberate effort to mess up the scores.

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-11, 06:22

View Postonoway, on 2016-August-04, 16:46, said:

An intermediate pair got into a battle to declare the contract

View Postonoway, on 2016-August-10, 12:00, said:

They were fighting about what strain the contract should be played in all the way up, one step at a time after the initial auction

From the original quote I had thought the battle to declare was with the opponents. Now I see they were battling their partner Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes, that is plausible as a novice bridge auction.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users