Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hosting rights for new accounts If I can't boot, let someone else be host

#1 User is offline   DrFell 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-04, 15:44

I understand that users acquire booting rights only after they achieve a certain number of logins. But they get to host tables right from the start. That leads to impasses, where a stuck username can't be removed, because the host doesn't have permission. This can break up the table and is rather embarrassing for the host concerned (or at least I find it so).

I suggest that users without the requisite number of logins should be passed over as table hosts if more established users are present.

Also, maybe hosts could be enabled to resign without leaving the table? I don't think this is possible at present.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-04, 15:49

View PostDrFell, on 2016-August-04, 15:44, said:

I suggest that users without the requisite number of logins should be passed over as table hosts if more established users are present.

That could create its own impasse. A bunch of people all sign up so they can play online together, but none of them can host the table. They have to play for several weeks at other tables before one of them can create the table for their set games.

If you can't boot a player yourself, you can always call a yellow and ask them to boot the player.

#3 User is offline   DrFell 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-04, 16:54

I'm not suggesting that new users should be barred from hosting entirely, if nobody else is available.

At the "random casual game" tables I play, really the only job of a host is to boot. At any rate, I've never seen one do anything else. So if the host can't boot, they might as well not be host. (I realize that the host has other functions at the more structured types of game.)

If you can't boot a player yourself, you can always call a yellow and ask them to boot the player.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-05, 08:50

View PostDrFell, on 2016-August-04, 16:54, said:

I'm not suggesting that new users should be barred from hosting entirely, if nobody else is available.

Ahh, I misunderstood.

Normally the table host is whoever created the table, I wasn't thinking of the case where they leave and someone else is automatically selected to be host. This is a good suggestion.

Maybe it should choose the player with the oldest account. Besides being able to perform hostly duties, they're probably also the most experienced at using BBO, so a better candidate for host.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users