• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insufficient bid Relay after Benji 2C

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-08, 09:40

Isn't another reason for "the Director's opinion" that it's a judgement call what the insufficient bid's "meaning" is? Did the player not notice an intervening bid, did he just not realize that the bidding was at a higher level (e.g. he mistook 2NT for 1NT), etc.?

#22 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-08, 13:13

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-08, 09:40, said:

Isn't another reason for "the Director's opinion" that it's a judgement call decision what the insufficient bid's "meaning" is? Did the player not notice an intervening bid, did he just not realize that the bidding was at a higher level (e.g. he mistook 2NT for 1NT), etc.?

Indeed
(Of course - what else?)

#23 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-15, 07:22

If a Pass is allowed after an IB of 2D (artificial / transfer to H's) I presume that offender's partner must be warned that, for him, that is unauthorised information and that he must not bid Hearts? The question is, with that UI, how can he make any bid (other than something ludicrous) which does not factor in the UI. So, surely he must Pass his offending partner's Pass? Yes / No?

#24 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-15, 07:32

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-August-15, 07:22, said:

If a Pass is allowed after an IB of 2D (artificial / transfer to H's) I presume that offender's partner must be warned that, for him, that is unauthorised information and that he must not bid Hearts? The question is, with that UI, how can he make any bid (other than something ludicrous) which does not factor in the UI. So, surely he must Pass his offending partner's Pass? Yes / No?

No.

If Pass was allowed under Law 27B1b it would be because the Pass had been determined to have close to the same meaning as the IB of 2D. UI wouldn't come into it. I'm not sure why you are asking about transfer to hearts since that was not part of the original post and in those circumstances I can't imagine Pass being allowed as a non-barring replacement call.

I also don't understand your final question. When would anyone who had opened 2C pass out their opponents at the two level?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#25 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-15, 07:41

View Postgordontd, on 2016-August-15, 07:32, said:

I also don't understand your final question. When would anyone who had opened 2C pass out their opponents at the two level?

Sorry my mistake - I see now the 2D bid wasn't a transfer it was a Benji relay bid.

All that said, if the bidding had been 1NT, 2S, 2D (transfer to hearts and an IB) what would be a sufficient bid? 2H's?

#26 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-15, 10:20

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-August-15, 07:41, said:

Sorry my mistake - I see now the 2D bid wasn't a transfer it was a Benji relay bid.

All that said, if the bidding had been 1NT, 2S, 2D (transfer to hearts and an IB) what would be a sufficient bid? 2H's?

No :) Just because a bid is higher than an insufficient bid doesn't mean it's automatically sufficient!

I think a 3H (natural) bid or a 3D (transfer) bid would be likely to be accepted by the TD as not barring partner.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users