• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Legality Question

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-02, 13:35

Working on a bidding system and wanted an answer to two questions:

1. Is this system "brown sticker" under WBF classification?
2. Would it be allowed in ACBL events?

The unusual part is that we pass with unbalanced hands where clubs is the primary suit unless holding 15+ hcp. Thus:

Pass = 0-11 BAL or 0-14 primary clubs or 0-8 any
1c = 15+ hcp any
1d = 4+ diamond unbalanced no longer suit 9-14 hcp
1M = 5+ cards in suit 9-14 hcp
1nt = 12-14 BAL
Higher = various weak hands (assume these are allowed by regs)

Pass is not forcing at all, but in 3/4 we would play slightly different methods so we don't pass 14 opposite 14 with clubs. Assume something like "standard precision" in 3/4 seat.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-02, 14:22

So you pass with 6+ clubs and 14 HCP, then partner passes with balanced 11 HCP, and you miss your club part score? But this isn't the place to discuss playability, just legality.

This doesn't seem to be Brown Sticker, but I think it's a HUM, by this criterion: "A Pass in the opening position shows at least the values generally accepted for an opening bid of one, even if there are alternative weak possibilities." Your Pass shows either a minimum opening hand w/clubs or "alternative weak possibilities".

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-02, 14:48

I would argue that this is perfectly legal.

Many non HUM systems are based on sound opening bids. (This strikes me as an extreme example, but there nothing wrong with sound openings)

Many non HUM systems require sounder openings for the minors than the majors.

From my own perspective, the critical issue is that your pass appears to be "continuous"
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-02, 15:11

View Postawm, on 2016-August-02, 13:35, said:

Working on a bidding system and wanted an answer to two questions:

1. Is this system "brown sticker" under WBF classification?
2. Would it be allowed in ACBL events?

The unusual part is that we pass with unbalanced hands where clubs is the primary suit unless holding 15+ hcp. Thus:

Pass = 0-11 BAL or 0-14 primary clubs or 0-8 any
1c = 15+ hcp any
1d = 4+ diamond unbalanced no longer suit 9-14 hcp
1M = 5+ cards in suit 9-14 hcp
1nt = 12-14 BAL
Higher = various weak hands (assume these are allowed by regs)

Pass is not forcing at all, but in 3/4 we would play slightly different methods so we don't pass 14 opposite 14 with clubs. Assume something like "standard precision" in 3/4 seat.

I only have the Norwegian translation available, but to my knowledge it is identical to the WBF regulation:

A system is HUM if it satisfies at least one of five criteria:

1: Pass in opening shows or can show a strong hand (i.e. a hand that holds at least a King more than an average hand)

2: An opening bid at the one-level can be weaker than a pass in the same position

It appears to me that your system is HUM because of both these criteria.

(Criteria 3-5 are irrelevant for your system.)

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-02, 15:26

View Postpran, on 2016-August-02, 15:11, said:

I only have the Norwegian translation available, but to my knowledge it is identical to the WBF regulation:

A system is HUM if it satisfies at least one of five criteria:

1: Pass in opening shows or can show a strong hand (i.e. a hand that holds at least a King more than an average hand)

2: An opening bid at the one-level can be weaker than a pass in the same position

It appears to me that your system is HUM because of both these criteria.

(Criteria 3-5 are irrelevant for your system.)

Here's the WBF definition (The first element is significantly different than the Norwegian definition)

2.2 HUM Systems
For the purpose of this Policy, a Highly Unusual Method (HUM) means any System
that exhibits one or more of the following features, as a matter of partnership
agreement:
a) A Pass in the opening position shows at least the values generally
accepted for an opening bid of one, even if there are alternative weak
possibilities
b) By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be
weaker than pass.
c) By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be made
with values a king or more below average strength.
d) By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level shows either
length or shortage in a specified suit
e) By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level shows either
length in one specified suit or length in another.
EXCEPTION: one of a minor in a strong club or strong diamond system

From my perspective, the key issue is (a)

Phil's pass does not ALWAYS promise a strong hand, therefore it does not show a strong hand.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-02, 16:55

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-August-02, 15:26, said:

Here's the WBF definition (The first element is significantly different than the Norwegian definition)

From my perspective, the key issue is (a)

Phil's pass does not ALWAYS promise a strong hand, therefore it does not show a strong hand.

Not sure, the 12-14 with clubs fulfils a) as there seems to be weak options also, but it can have opening values.

Even if we get past a), b) is problematic as pass can clearly be stronger than any of the 1 bids other than 1.

I don't really understand how b) is supposed to be interpreted, as playing something pretty normal but with a 9+ mini and sound 1 bids (where you're opening 9s but passing 10s) would seem to fall foul of the letter of this.

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-02, 17:31

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-02, 16:55, said:

Not sure, the 12-14 with clubs fulfils a) as there seems to be weak options also, but it can have opening values.

Even if we get past a), b) is problematic as pass can clearly be stronger than any of the 1 bids other than 1.

I don't really understand how b) is supposed to be interpreted, as playing something pretty normal but with a 9+ mini and sound 1 bids (where you're opening 9s but passing 10s) would seem to fall foul of the letter of this.

KS is not a HUM, therefore this is not a HUM

(Item b is meant to ban strong pass systems like Regres or Suspensor, not systems that have different strength requirements to open majors versus minors or, in this case, clubs versus everything else)
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-August-03, 00:32

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-August-02, 17:31, said:

(Item b is meant to ban strong pass systems like Regres or Suspensor, not systems that have different strength requirements to open majors versus minors or, in this case, clubs versus everything else)

Are you sure this is item b and not item a? One way of reading a is that it bans system where a pass in the opening position is always stronger that an opening bid at the one-level.

But I am really confused by a, particularly because of the clause "even if there are alternative weak possibilities".
I suspect that the Norwegian translators were equally confused and that this is the cause of the discrepancy.

So please clarify: What is the precise meaning of a when it says "shows" rather than "may show" and what is the precise limit for "values generally accepted for an opening bid of one"?

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-03, 07:50

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-August-02, 17:31, said:

I don't want to chose a side in this debate yet, but I feel that "having different strength requirements for clubs vs everything else" is misrepresenting Adam's system: Essentially his suit openings are 9-14, except that hands with clubs are simply not opened. Not opening a certain hand type at all is different from "having different strength requirements".

I certainly agree that 11 point hands with a five card major can be regarded as stronger than 12 point hands with a 5 card minor (and otherwise the same pattern). Some flexibility for the player's judgement should be allowed...

But I doubt that Adam really would consider JT43 A4 KJ6432 7 (a 1 opening) to be a stronger hand than JT43 A4 7 AKJ643 (a pass).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-August-03, 11:40

Agree with Richard. There are many systems that have much more aggressive openings major suit openings than minor suit openings. This shouldn't be a problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-05, 01:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-August-02, 16:55, said:

If you play a 12-14 1NT, what does "weaker than 1NT" mean? Less than 12, of course. A 13-count isn't "weaker than 1NT" just because there are some stronger hands that would open 1NT. Similarly a hand isn't "weaker than pass" just because there are some stronger hands that would pass. What is forbidden by (b) is agreeing to open (at the 1-level) some hands which are too weak to pass. Unless your pass shows values, this isn't an issue.

(a) disallows passes which include some always-strong options, even if there are alternative weak options. But "0-14 with clubs" is a single wide-ranging option, not a strong option and a separate weak option.

#12 User is offline   jfnrl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2016-August-06, 02:18

Here after, you have the transposition of WBF Systems Policy 2.2 in the French regulation :

Article 138 – Systèmes Hautement Artificiels
138.1 Caractéristiques SHA
On appelle « Système Hautement Artificiel » tout système agréé au sein d’une paire et possédant à l’ouverture l’une au moins des caractéristiques suivantes :
a) Passe à l’ouverture avec une force généralement admise pour ouvrir au palier de 1 même s’il peut montrer aussi une main plus faible.
b) Une ouverture au palier de 1 pouvant être plus faible que Passe.
c) Une ouverture au palier de 1 déniant 8 points d’honneur.
d) Une ouverture au palier de 1 décrivant dans la même couleur soit une longueur soit une courte.
e) Une ouverture au palier de 1 qui montre soit une longueur dans une couleur spécifiée soit une longueur dans au moins une autre couleur (spécifiée ou non).

b) to e) are very close to the WBF items {c) is written in very poor French}.
But my understanding of a)
(that i understand as "an opening pass that may show a hand that would be opened in all usual systems")
is that you are not allowed to pass a 14 HCP one-suited by system.

#13 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-August-06, 02:52

View Postjfnrl, on 2016-August-06, 02:18, said:

[...]
But my understanding of a)
(that i understand as "an opening pass that may show a hand that would be opened in all usual systems")
is that you are not allowed to pass a 14 HCP one-suited by system.

The corresponding Norwegian translation is:
pass in an opening position which shows or may show a hand containing at lest a King above an average hand.

Thus in Norway a system is HUM if it allows passing instead of opening a 13 HCP (or more) hand regardless of shape.

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-06, 08:12

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-August-03, 11:40, said:

Agree with Richard. There are many systems that have much more aggressive openings major suit openings than minor suit openings. This shouldn't be a problem.

But there is no opening for this minor (clubs), at all.

The call for a "club opening" is "Pass".
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-August-06, 08:26

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-August-06, 08:12, said:

But there is no opening for this minor (clubs), at all.

The call for a "club opening" is "Pass".

And that "feature" makes the system HUM

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-08, 05:49

View Postpran, on 2016-August-06, 08:26, said:

And that "feature" makes the system HUM

That may well be true in Norway but I am not convinced that is true by WBF rules. By your regulations, a conservative system designed for beginners in which you need 15 points to open would be a HUM even though Pass is consistently the weakest call for all hand types with no overlap. And I am reasonably certain that is not the intent of the regulators regardless of what various international translators might have come up with.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   jfnrl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2016-August-08, 10:18

EBL and WBF have the same Systems Policy.
In the seminar notes of the 4th tournament directors course is given an english-english translation of the HUM definition :

A system is classified as ‘HUM’ if it exhibits by partnership agreement any
one of the following characteristics:
- a pass in the opening position may have twelve or more high card
points (‘HCP’)
- an opening bid at the one level may be weaker than Pass
- an opening bid at the one level may be made on seven or fewer HCP
- an opening bid of one has alternative possible meanings that the
hand may be long or short in a specified suit
- an opening bid at the one level has alternative possibilities that it
shows length in one suit or length in another suit.

I suppose that this text was sent to WBF which didn't deny it.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-08, 12:28

Hmm, I routinely pass 12 HCP hands with 4333 shape. I know that's conservative, I didn't realize it was HUM.

#19 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-August-08, 13:09

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-08, 12:28, said:

Hmm, I routinely pass 12 HCP hands with 4333 shape. I know that's conservative, I didn't realize it was HUM.

The Norwegian translation (allegedly from WBF) says HUM if agreements allow passing a 13 HCP (or more) hand in an opening position.

(The exact text is "a pass in the opening position may have the HCP strength of at least a King more than an average hand")

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-08, 13:14

View Postpran, on 2016-August-08, 13:09, said:

The Norwegian translation (allegedly from WBF) says HUM if agreements allow passing a 13 HCP (or more) hand in an opening position.

(The exact text is "a pass in the opening position may have the HCP strength of at least a King more than an average hand")

So Fantunes would be HUM if they chose to leave a hand type out of their 2 bids? And a pair playing Stone Age Precision (13-15 NT) that chose to devalue 4333 hands by 1hcp? Again, do you have any evidence to support that position other than the dodgy translation?
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users