Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HUM system What is

#1 User is offline   VikingMags 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-31, 14:35

Hi can anyone tell me if this law is open for justification?

WBF SYSTEMS POLICY 2002
2.2 HUM Systems
c) By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be made
with values a king or more below average strength.

Example

A109xx
K109x
109xx
Void

Are you allowed to open 1S in a tourney were HUM is forbidden?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-31, 14:46

The question is not if you can open that hand (you can), but if you can have the agreement to open it.

I think it is ok. For some reason the writers of the definition have chosen not to make explicit reference to walrus points. So you are not allowed to open 7-counts systematically, but on the other and, if you think this hand is worth more than 7 points (and the TD doesn't deem that to be absurd) then you can do.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   VikingMags 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-01, 04:02

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-July-31, 14:46, said:

The question is not if you can open that hand (you can), but if you can have the agreement to open it.

I have read that the first time you open with 3 hcp 1sp it's already defined a partnership agreement, and already defiened as a HUM, maybe this is missinformation.
I mean its not allowed as a psyche.

By the way The bidding went on P-P-1S-1N and 2D! on a hand passed with AJ10 7th and anoter Ace, alternatively penalty X? But I guess he used to this 3rd seat openings, I would at least consider penalty X(suggestion)

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-01, 05:45

This seems to be more of a disclosure problem than a systems problem.

Suppose that their convention card says about 3rd seat openings: "8-15 HCP" and about 1st seat openings "12-17", would you then have objected to the 3rd seat opening? Or to the 2 response (instead of the X)? I don't think so.

However, if the CC says that all openings are 12+, then the 2 response is somewhat odd (though the 2 bidder may have thought/hoped that the auction won't stop, so that he would be able to make a rebid).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-August-01, 06:21

If a 1 opening shows spades, the laws do not permit banning psyching it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-01, 11:49

View PostVikingMags, on 2016-August-01, 04:02, said:

I have read that the first time you open with 3 hcp 1sp it's already defined a partnership agreement, and already defiened as a HUM, maybe this is missinformation.

Doing something one time does not create an implicit agreement. A psych doesn't become an agreement unless you do it frequently enough with that partner that he's likely to expect it more than the opponents would, and might compensate for the possibility in his bidding.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-01, 12:23

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-01, 11:49, said:

Doing something one time does not create an implicit agreement. A psych doesn't become an agreement unless you do it frequently enough with that partner that he's likely to expect it more than the opponents would, and might compensate for the possibility in his bidding.

A lot of pairs seem to have a freakishly large number of first time deviations. It's almost like they forgot what happened the last time the situation came up.

#8 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-02, 01:47

I am wondering are we allowed to play bridge the way GIB plays - without memory of previous events.

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-02, 06:03

View PostVikingMags, on 2016-August-01, 04:02, said:

People lie a lot.

For many years, folks in ACBL management attempted to suppress psyches.
One of the ways that they did so was actively promulgating erroneous information that a single incident of a psyche established a concealed partnership understanding.

Senior directors would not enforce this idiocy, but a lot of the hoi polloi got swept up in the confusion...
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users