• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another cute 4 spade

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-25, 18:26

East leads A and continues with K. On the second W discards a , East now plays 3rd . (if you ruff high, W discards another )

Take it from here. If you cash trumps East will discard a on 2nd round of trumps.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-26, 03:39

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-26, 03:46

I am inclined to give East the A, since he might have made a weak jump without it holding good diamonds and a singleton spade at these colors.
Obviously another diamond promotes a trick if West is not out of trumps but drawing trumps you will either loose your diamond trick or control.

Play your remaining trump honor from dummy and another one.
It seems also unlikely that a competent East would discard a club from 4 cards on the second round of trumps.
When East discards a club play 2 rounds of clubs. Unless East is 6-6 in the minors West will follow to these.
Then 2 further round of trumps.
When you cash your last trump the scenario is something like this:

where the heart ace could be on either side.
East can not afford a diamond discard since you then can cash the diamond queen, so will have to come down to 2 hearts.
You discard your club loser and now play a heart from hand and the defense is helpless. If they duck you simply continue with a low heart.

This line looses only if East controls club and West has the ace of hearts.
But then East is 1-1-6-5 and could have beaten the contract with a heart ruff a long time ago.

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-26, 04:30

Both John and Rainer got it correct.

I played this vs GIB. After ruffing 3rd with J, I played small to K and then played 2nd to A seeing East discarding a club.
So I cashed 3 clubs and my remaining trumps to come to the position John said and made.

I could also made by cashing only 2 and then playing .

@John: You are wrong about the East holding 1-1-6-5 and stiff A possibility.

a- West would then discard his doubleton clubs on diamonds if that was the case.
b- East would have defeated the contract by simply cashing A at T2 and playing small at T3 to give his pd a ruff and get a ruff himself.
c- Even if, for the sake of argument, the play proceeded the way it did in OP and W discarded hearts from 5th, and you ruffed with J, cashed 2 spades ending in South, you can still afford to cash 2 clubs.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users