Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

profile area for players with profile

#1 User is offline   flipm 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-25, 05:18

hi it would be so nice to have an area where players without profile will not be accepted! may I hope for such an area in the future?????
my address is [redacted]
thanks and have a nice time!

This post has been edited by barmar: 2016-July-26, 22:17
Reason for edit: removed email address

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-26, 22:18

View Postflipm, on 2016-July-25, 05:18, said:

hi it would be so nice to have an area where players without profile will not be accepted! may I hope for such an area in the future?????

Everyone has a profile. There may not be anything useful in it, but it's always there.

#3 User is offline   NemoJames 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-31, 03:17

if a profile is blank (very common) then the player has no profile. Some people put "SAYC" in their profile which is virtually useless. Like many players I don't want to play with someone if I don't have a clue what conventions they use. A separate area would not work. There is an area for ACOL players but no one every uses it.

Although I love BBO I do find it a struggle to find compatible players when looking in the open tables list. I have to open a player's profile and by the time I have seen if we are compatible that place in the table has gone. I would have thought the best way to go would be if each of us has some kind of simple compatibility card with minimum requirements i.e perspective partner must have a profile, play SAYC, Staymam, transfers be above a certain standard etc. Then you could safely ask to be taken to the next seat available. Or have some kind of distinguishing mark/colour by players names which shows which players are compatible. Once seated with a partner we could take another look to see if there are any extra conventions we can play.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-31, 04:29

View Postflipm, on 2016-July-25, 05:18, said:

my address is [redacted]
thanks and have a nice time!

Why would I care about the opinion of someone who has no profile on the BBO forums?

User Rating: -----
flipm's Photo
PM this member Send me a message
Find Topics Find My Content
Neutral
Group:
Members
Active Posts:
2 (0 per day)
Most Active In:
General Bridge Discussion (1 posts)
Profile Views:
Last Active:
User is offline 2016-Aug-26, 07:53
Currently:
My Information
Age:Age UnknownBirthday:Birthday UnknownGender:Not Telling Not Telling
Contact Information
E-mail:Click here to e-mail me
Previous Fields
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-September-01, 06:27

I have very little in my profile apart "2/1 preffered but flexible" or something like that, but I don't make any note of specific conventions for 3 reasons:

1 - someone might think I insist on a convention that they don't know and it puts them off playing with me
2 - someone might assume that I don't play any alternatives to what's on my profile (i.e. if i put 1430 i don't really care if its 3041 or even good old regular wood instead)
3 - someone might assume that if I don't mention a convention I don't play it, and this happened once when I put a whole loads of conventions on my profile, I had forgotten to include transfers and of course it went uncontested 1n 2d all pass when we were cold for slam because my partner had assumed (reasonably) that I didn't play transfers.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-September-01, 08:52

There's a happy medium between The Profile With No Name (and no systems or conventions either!) and The Encyclopaedia of Bridge Conventions Profile.

But BBO can't insist on names (and they may be false anyway). Nor can they compromise an experienced player's use of conventional tools.

So I accept BBO for what it is: a place to play bridge and make friends :)

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-September-01, 09:20

View PostThe_Badger, on 2016-September-01, 08:52, said:

So I accept BBO for what it is: a place to play bridge and make friends :)

This is the Internet. Reasonable attitudes are not permitted. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users