BBO Discussion Forums: Any way to defeat the interference? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any way to defeat the interference?

#1 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-24, 22:43

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a sensible way to get around the interference to get to a game (or even a slam, but a game is fine).

The double from East is a negative double, showing at least 1 major. To bid 2 would require East to have 10+ points and a 5 card suit.

Any ideas? I know West was worried by the vulnerability and the useless Q.

Thanks,

Ian

#2 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-25, 01:25

Several points of note here.

At IMPs, you generally want to be more aggressive when bidding vulnerable games, not less. It turns out to be worth bidding games that make well below 50% of the time when vulnerable and only about 50% when not vul. If there is a real risk they will double you, you need to be more conservative in your decisions, but there is nothing about this hand that suggests that is likely.

West is correct in downgrading the CQ. Calling it useless is overly negative, but it certainly isn't worth the full value. The aces and kings are good points though, so it looks like a fine 3S bid.

East may only have 8 points, but they do have 6-4 shape, a fit, a singleton club (this hand is probably a full trick better than the same hand with the minors reversed), and lots of playing potential. It only has 6 losers and there is no real reason to think that this is a mis-evaluation. Given that a typical opener is about 7 losers, East has an easy raise to game.

Slam needs way too much to be a good spot - 4-1 spades or the KH offside both beat the slam immediately and you may still go down if hearts don't break well. There's a lot of work to be done for 12 tricks, so missing it when you do make 12 is fine.

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-July-25, 05:29

East has 10 points after 2C.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-July-25, 07:47

8 points with a 6 card suit is better than 10 points with a 5 card suit.

Don't worry about slam in these contested auctions. Do try to find all makeable games. 4-1 spade split may create many problems in spade contracts.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-25, 08:27

I also think east was worth a direct 2 bid. Different story if you reverse the minors
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-July-26, 01:05

G'day Hirowla (Ian) :)

I believe the legendary Benito Garozzo said that 5-4-2-2 hands are the ones to be slightly cautious with and/or evaluate, but that West hand (primarily of the AKs in the long suits) comes out at a whopping 17.95 on the Kaplan + Rubens evaluator.

If partner is negative doubling at the two level vulnerable against non-vulnerable on his first call, I'm going to place him with at least a minimum of 8 high card points. There are those players who believe 2 is a legitimate bid (as an actual bid or negative free bid) with the East cards, and I'm not disagreeing with them, but it may lose the fit in the process.

The East hand also comes out as 12.10 on Kaplan + Rubens, so when West bids 3 after East's X - and 4 would also be a consideration if he trusts his partner for at least 4-4 in the majors - East can raise 3 to 4 without batting an eyelid. That singleton club is worth its weight in gold.

Slam is not a good proposition here - too much needs to be right - so content yourself with game.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-26, 05:06

I agree with initial DBL.
I agree with Sfi, West should bid 3. He has a good hand and prime cards despite Qx . East then raises to 4
I could not care less about the slam. Even if it was a very good slam, I still would not care less about finding it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-July-26, 07:43

+1 for sfi and Mr. Ace

I also think Dbl is right with the East hand. I don't have any problem with West discounting the Q especially when the opponents have a fit in Clubs. But beyond point counting the hand has 4 QTs and is a 6 loser hand. So, I think you bid it aggressively -- hence 3 .

Once West bids 3 , East should reevaluate his/her hand. East should realize that with a non-descript minimum opener West might well pass 3 . Point counting East has 8 HCP and can add full support value for the singleton with 4 trumps. That comes to an 11 value hand. Opposite, at worst, a "good" minimum opener, it rates to be right to bid game. Alternatively, East's hand is a 6 loser hand and with the known fit looks right to raise to game.

#9 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-26, 10:27

I much prefer 2H to double. If hearts are the right strain then somebody has got to bid them and that is unlikely to be west.. If south continues with 3C then both east and west are worth a double (negative) after which it should be easy to reach 4S. You certainly don't want to be in six of anything.

#10 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-27, 03:24

With a 6 loser hand West has an easy straight forward 3S bid.East having 6 losers ,as played in spade, has no worries in bidding 4S.The opponents overcall may create a doubt that suits may not break favorably .So six is not that easy,although LTC suggests a slam 18-(6+6)=6,which holds good in most cases but ,on second thoughts ,perhaps not in this deal.

#11 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-27, 14:43

View Posthirowla, on 2016-July-24, 22:43, said:

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a sensible way to get around the interference to get to a game (or even a slam, but a game is fine).

The double from East is a negative double, showing at least 1 major. To bid 2 would require East to have 10+ points and a 5 card suit.

Any ideas? I know West was worried by the vulnerability and the useless Q.

Thanks,

Ian

when I make a neg dbl in that situation, I do promise both majors and at least 10 points or equivalent. So, I would have no trouble bidding 4spades--especially if we are vul

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users