Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double DONT New Convention

#1 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-20, 01:19

Hi! I have another convention I'd like to share, or rather, application of an old convention in a new situation. I call it Double DONT.

DONT (Disturb Opponent's No Trump) as those familiar with, is used when opponents open 1NT strong. I think it can also be applied to when your 1NT is doubled. The weaker your 1NT range, the more often this situation arises.

After 1NT - X:
pass = strong, if opener has a maximum, then 1NTx is to play
rdbl = weak, has a long suit 5 cards or longer, opener must relay 2C, responder then passes or corrects to long suit
2C = weak, clubs and a higher suit, at least 4-4
2D = weak, diamonds and a major suit, at least 4-4
2H = weak, hearts and spades, at least 4-4

With weak 4441 hands, responder runs to lowest suit first. With weak 5-4 or better hands, responder has a choice between redouble or lowest suit.

After 1NT - X - pass - pass, opener can:
pass = maximum, to play in 1NTx
2C/2D = minimum, 5 card or longer suit (we open 1NT with 2-2-2-7 hands)
2H/2S = minimum, 5 card major (we use 1NT-2C as Puppet Stayman)
rdbl = minimum, asks responder to bid 4 card or longer suits up the line until a fit is found

After 1NT - X - pass - pass; XX - pass:
Responder can leave the rdbl in or run with a minimum.

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-20, 01:41

Hi Cheryl
That rdbl shows one suit and 2c/d/h shows two is a good idea. It is known as helvic in England.

That opener frequently acts after responder passes is not a good idea imo. Respinder knows quite a lot about opener's hand so his decision should be trusted.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-20, 02:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-July-20, 01:41, said:

Hi Cheryl
That rdbl shows one suit and 2c/d/h shows two is a good idea. It is known as helvic in England.

That opener frequently acts after responder passes is not a good idea imo. Respinder knows quite a lot about opener's hand so his decision should be trusted.

Helvic? Thanks, Helene!

In our system, our 1NT covers extra distributions and a 4 point range, so responder doesn't know that much about opener's hand. We do this to get more weak notrump openings.

Still, I may change our system to a more or less mandatory redouble for imp scoring. For matchpoints, 1NTx seems nearly as good as 1NTxx.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-20, 04:26

I think that this is closer to Halmic rather than Helvic (similar names makes it confusing!).

For Halmic:
- Pass is to play
- Redouble is a relay to 3C based on a single suited hand.
- Bidding a suit shows a two-suited hand (bid the lower suit).

I play that Helvic shows:
- Pass is forcing to redouble (either strong or two-suited, then:)
- After the redouble, pass is to play.
- After the redouble, 2C shows clubs & hearts
- After the redouble, 2d shows diamonds and spades

- Rdble is a relay to 3C based on a single suited hand.
- 2C shows clubs and diamonds
- 2D shows diamonds and hearts
- 2H shows hearts and spades
- 2s shows spades and clubs

With Helvic, you can show specific two-suiters, but you cannot play in 1NT doubled - only 1NT redoubled! So with a weak balanced hand (e.g. 4333) you have to rescue and will play at the two level (probably doubled), instead of the one-level.

There are other similar defences (e.g. SWINE!)

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-20, 05:04

This method is commonly known as DONT escapes and well documented elsewhere. There is also Spelvic, which is Helvic based around the spade suit:-

Pass forces XX, then P = to play; 2 = + a red suit; 2 = + ; 2 = + (better hearts); (optional) 2 and up are GF 2-suiters
XX forces 2, then P = ; 2 = ; 2 = ; (optional) 2 = (drop dead)
2 = +
2 = +
2 = + (better/equal spades)
2 = (PRE/willing to be raised)
2NT = + , at least 5-5

Some additional optional extras: with any 4333 shape, bid as if you have a club extra and XX if it comes back to you doubled; with 4(441), bid the lowest suit and, if it comes back doubled, follow with the middle suit.

The disadvantage against methods such as those in the OP is the inability to play in 1NTX. Against that you are far more likely to find a reasonable spot at the 2 level which will play at least as well.

Helvic is similar but instead of the direct bids showing that suit plus spades, they show that suit plus the one above, with the other auctions adjusted to compensate - I prefer Spelvic for the slight extra preemptive value.

Halmic is often used as a term often describing specifically the redouble in this family of methods - the Halmic Redouble. if someone wanted to play Halmic as an escape method, I would assume the method in the OP, except that I would not expect Opener to be taking out the pass to their suit with a minimum 5332 hand.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#6 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-20, 12:58

View PostCheryl88, on 2016-July-20, 02:07, said:

Helvic? Thanks, Helene!

In our system, our 1NT covers extra distributions and a 4 point range, so responder doesn't know that much about opener's hand. We do this to get more weak notrump openings.

Still, I may change our system to a more or less mandatory redouble for imp scoring. For matchpoints, 1NTx seems nearly as good as 1NTxx.

I respectfully disagree with Helene. There's still enough variability in opener's shape that the responder often doesn't know what's best. I've found that playing in a crappy 4-3 fit at the 2 level (a frequent outcome of a scramble) is no picnic compared to playing 1NT. Also, there are a few weaknesses to the Pass demands a Redbl style beyond not being able to play just 1NTX. If it's intended for business, it can get a bit muddled because 4th hand often throws in a bid and the 1NT opener doesn't know whether the Pass was business or the start of a run-out. Further, it gives the opponents 2 chances to find an escape (immediate or delayed action).
In a strong NT context, there doesn't need to be a 1NTXX for business and 1NTX is usually a close call either way. For these I recommend after 1NT-X-?: XX = 5+ C's, 2 = 5+ D's, 2/2 = Jacoby. And then Pass = "doubt". Opener, similar to your OP then bids a 5-card suit naturally, Passes only with a 4333 hand, and Redoubles with 2 4-card suits requesting a scramble. I've run many simulated hands and found that when opener has a 4333, there's usually no better place to be than 1NT. This also has the benefit that 4th seat will panic and run before our side has to scramble (because there's still a threat of 1NTX getting passed out). Having the opponents scramble 1st is usually a favorable outcome.
In a weak NT context, I think an immediate Redble for business is best, even though you lose the 2 level Club transfer.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-July-20, 13:16

View Postperko90, on 2016-July-20, 12:58, said:

In a strong NT context, there doesn't need to be a 1NTXX for business and 1NTX is usually a close call either way. For these I recommend after 1NT-X-?: XX = 5+ C's, 2 = 5+ D's, 2/2 = Jacoby. And then Pass = "doubt".

Exit transfers are popular at some clubs but very rare at high levels as far as I can see. There are good reasons for that and I would humbly steer lower level players clear of your recommendation.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#8 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-20, 14:34

Thanks, Tram, Zelandakh, and Perko. Helvic and Spelvic are interesting but complicated sounding treatments. Also, they may tell a little too much unnecessarily for the opening lead. I like the idea of running just to escape to any fit than finding absolutely best contract. Like Perko said, there can be a mad scramble. And because of the scramble, I don't like the pass to be used as either weak or strong hands. Just strong. And I like to give the opponents a chance to run and get into worse trouble, lol.

Still, Helvic/Spelvic gives interesting ideas I could use somewhere. Thanks.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-July-20, 15:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-July-20, 13:16, said:

Exit transfers are popular at some clubs but very rare at high levels as far as I can see. There are good reasons for that and I would humbly steer lower level players clear of your recommendation.

His other comments are very good though.

View PostCheryl88, on 2016-July-20, 14:34, said:

And I like to give the opponents a chance to run and get into worse trouble, lol.

If your system is that you always escape, the opponents are unlikely to get into trouble, and in fact may benefit a lot from the additional bite at the cherry you give the,.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Cheryl88 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-20, 17:22

View PostVampyr, on 2016-July-20, 15:33, said:

If your system is that you always escape, the opponents are unlikely to get into trouble, and in fact may benefit a lot from the additional bite at the cherry you give the,.

My system is that pass is strong which gives opponents chance to do things and get into trouble. Meanwhile redouble, 2C, 2D, 2H are weak. Since we play a weak notrump, we already took away some bidding space when we are weak and hand belongs to opponents.

And no, we do not always escape. The following sequences are to play:
1NT - (X) - pass - pass = 1NTx
1NT - (X) - pass - redouble - pass = 1NTxx

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users