• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turkish Coup

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-22, 02:45

View Postpatroclo, on 2016-July-22, 02:30, said:

It is significative that there aren't any turkish player comment.

Post #5 clearly flew right past you.

View PostMrAce, on 2016-July-16, 21:32, said:

For those who do not know, I am a Turk.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-22, 12:38

You are declaring 3NT, and other than having to lose a top trick in your long suit, you have all the top cards apart from holding just AJx in the unbid suit. Opponents are playing standard leads, and the lead is a top honour in that unbid suit. You believe in the Principle of Restricted Choice, so that while you know it is a top card you refuse to distinguish whether it is the K or the Q.

You duck, and the suit is continued, RHO playing the other top honour (which you assume is different card to the one played by LHO on the previous round). Unfortunately, RHO turns up with the ace of your long suit .

This is the Turkish Coup, the subset of the Bath Coup as played by believers in restricted choice. Called the "Turkish Coup" because half the time you always end up in very hot water.

#23 User is offline   Thiros 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Greek fire, Damascus steel, Linear A

Posted 2016-July-22, 15:28

I carried this fantasy to its logical conclusion and I'm having a hard time seeing the trap here. You have two stoppers in the unbid suit after you duck trick one, and trick two knocked out one of them (the ace). When you have driven out the ace of your own long suit, you still have the jack to stop the third round of their suit.

#24 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-23, 02:27

View PostThiros, on 2016-July-22, 15:28, said:

I carried this fantasy to its logical conclusion and I'm having a hard time seeing the trap here. You have two stoppers in the unbid suit after you duck trick one, and trick two knocked out one of them (the ace). When you have driven out the ace of your own long suit, you still have the jack to stop the third round of their suit.

That's right. Maybe you have another loser. I never was very good at restricted choice! I am just explaining the derivation of the Coup name.

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-23, 02:36

As it turns out everything was planned in Pennsylvania, USA by Fethullah Gulen. Another religious preacher who is known to have a lot of politicians, businesmen, soldiers, lawyers, highest ranking judges of Turkey in his pocket.

All this time, the opposition of the current government in Turkey, told that this guy is putting his men in the highest places of the government. Current government and their TBMM (Turkish Parliament) representatives, denied it. After all they were partners and both coming from a religious background their goal was same, and that is to get rid of Kemalist opposition. They arrested many generals, lawyers, journalists that are not from them. All these people said for many years that the real danger is Feto (Fethullah Guven) and his community. All the ministers, including the prime minister back then and still president now RTE (Recep Tayyip Erdogan) defended this guy (you can find the videos all over the net how they defended him) and put the innocent people in prisons. They also released Feto from 9 different charges of being the leader of a group that wants the democratic regime of Turkey to be taken down.

All of this started just before I moved to USA, late 90s. Guven Erkaya was the chief commander of Turkish Navy, who I played bridge with and against many times. He was also one of the top guys in intelligence and managed to put spies in Feto's community. Then he got the videos in which Feto clearly tells his ambitions to his loyal community. Current government released him from all these charges.

Now...7-5-2016 comes. Feto and his men in military attempts a coup. There are 2 targets in this attempt.

1- To gain the control of TSK (Turkish Armed Forces)
2-To assasinate RTE to gain the political control.

Around 22.00, the top general of the coup attempt and his men get to the room of the top general of TSK. And give him papers to sign that he is with them. The guard of top commander draws his pistol and immediately shoots the top coup general right there. And he was also killed by military officers of the coup side. They need 6 chief commanders of TSK to be in that headquarters of TSK. These people are;

1-The one that they just took hostage, the top guy.
2-Commander of TSK Army#1 (commander of ground troops)
3-Commander of Navy
4-Commander of Airforce.
5-Commander of National Guards.
6-Commander of special forces and MIT (Milli Istihbarat Teskilati = national intelligence agency)

Navy commander is in Istanbul at the moment so they can't reach him. They bring all others to the headquarters because they have arranged everyone working in the headquarters that night is from them, as well as the guards of commanders.

At this point, the commander of Special Forces understands there is something wrong when he was called to headquarters. He makes some phone calls to his loyal men. This phone was listened by Feto people. 2 Apache helicopters attack to the car of Special Forces commander with rockets. One of his men loses both legs. He is trained very well, manages to disappear in the city. But they find him again tracking his cell. A lot of gunfight, rockets in urban area in Ankara. He is the guy that changed the outcome of this attempt they say. He gathers his men and first thing he needed to do was to recover his own base which was held by 20 coup soldiers. They kill them all and get back the special forces base, which allows them to listen every single cell phone, radio communication and send orders to wherever they need.

2 F-16 makes point hit of group of soldiers and police who are organizing to fight back. Many are killed by coup pilots. (I think the most of the losses were made by these F-16 s)

On a radio talk, MIT pays attention to a conversation that says (all of this happening at the same time) "They were about to get into our den, we are now getting in their den" MIT translates this as an assassination attempt to RTE. They call immediately the security people of RTE and he is taken out of the Hotel he was staying to somewhere safe. 15 minutes later, Apache helicopters drop many trained commandos to this Hotel but were being expected by cops.

RTE makes a speech on his cell phone to Turkey and tells people to get on the streets and protect their elected government! Most of the soldiers on the street has no clue or tie with these coup people. They think they are there because they took an order that says things like "Hold the bridge, there is terror alarm!" And they faced lynch by people, some of them were actually lynched! Because they denied using their tanks and rifles against people. They were beaten and tortured after they learned what was going on and surrendered.

What does not add up with all these stories being told are

1-Where was MIT, all this time and how did they have no clue such a thing was planned, especially when all the people you put in prison were telling this is what will happen if you let them sneak into very top places in government?

2-How did RTE dare to get into presidential plane and flied to Ankara without fear, when Feto's F-16 s were making hits in Turkish airspace?

3-All of this started by 22.00 pm and by 23.27 RTE was giving a speech on TV, showing the arrest warrants of people in his hand and that they will be punished severely. When did you have time to find out who did it, prepared arrest warrants if you did not know already what was going to happen and who will do it? At this moment there were still some gunfights!

Now, Turkish media is another comedy. They want to convince that all of this made was Feto (which is true by the way) but they want us to see RTE as the protector of democracy. Everybody seems to forget RTE and his team put Feto to this position and power! Now that he tried to bite them, does not make people innocent who helped him to for over 40 years. RTE claims that he made a mistake about Feto. Even if we believe for a second that he is telling the truth and it was just an innocent mistake, despite ignoring all the criminal evidence, warning of people, warning of opposition politicals, even all of this was because of a mistake, many people died, democracy came to the edge of termination, economy is *****ed, dude, for heavens sake, RESIGN at least! Even if you are not guilty, your mistake, your ignorance caused all of this at the first place.

Now Turkish media talks about trials and that RTE should make these trials fair! You are asking people to judge these traitors by people who actually gave them this power all this time despite all warnings. Despite putting people to prison who warned them!

Basically, imagine a SNAKE, a fish in its mouth. Turkish media is saying " BRAVE snake is rescuing the poor fish from drowning!!"
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-July-26, 05:58

Perhaps somewhat reminiscent of Iran and the "coup" to remove the elected leader Mosaddeq and replace him with a more compliant (to the US position) individual. Relative to the coup "instigator" I read that:

"It was a coup initiated by the CIA acting through their primary asset inside Turkey, the networks of their fugitive Turkish asset Fethullah Gülen. When we examine more closely “what” is Fethullah Gülen he is anything but the grandfatherly image of a 75-year-old soft-spoken Islamic moderate, scholar and Imam. His networks have been called the most dangerous in Germany by Islamic experts and have been banned in several Central Asian countries. Now, too, in Turkey. What’s becoming clear is that the failed coup was in fact a dry-run, a dress rehearsal by Gülen’s controllers in Langley to see how Erdogan would react, in order to recalibrate and prepare for a more serious attempt in the future. Washington was not at all happy with the foreign policy turn of Erdoğan turning to reconcile with Russia and possibly also with Syria’s Assad."
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-26, 09:01

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-July-21, 12:08, said:

It sounds as if the Turkish Coup is a sub-category of the more generic Bath Coup.

Let's hope we don't end up with a Bloodbath Coup.
(-: Zel :-)

#28 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 07:53

It's odd that nothing at all is being heard about what is going on in Turkey now. Has the media there been muzzled? After such a dramatic week it would seem reasonable to expect some news about what's going on now but there seems to be no news at at all, good, bad, indifferent or even irrelevant.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users