BBO Discussion Forums: Can anything beat six clubs? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can anything beat six clubs? with accurate play?

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-16, 02:49

OK: this hand miffed me somewhat when I discovered I'd got a big round 0% on it! :( But I think I was simply unlucky.

As I said, 6 by East. I was South, my best lead would have been a trump: in fact I led A but switched to a trump once I saw dummy. But assume a trump lead.
Declarer wins in dummy, ruffs a low diamond, back to A and another diamond ruff; ruff a heart and a third diamond ruff (with the Q) - bringing down the Ace. Now back to dummy with a trump to the J, and the three diamonds provide discards for the heart losers and a spade. Declarer can now give up a spade trick but still has A and twelve tricks are home.

Nothing whatever the defence can do against this line. I suppose South could throw K under the Ace, suggesting that they might ruff the second heart with the 9 and kill one of dummy's entries. But is East really going to be persuaded that the hearts are 7-1?

I wish I'd been East, on this deal! Hats off to my opponent for finding the right line, when no-one else did....

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-16, 05:53

On best play and defense, declarer can always make it by dropping the ace of diamonds. Depending on how the auction actually went, it might be the indicated line too. You usually will get a very good board for bidding and making a slam missing 2 aces since many partnerships won't be able to diagnose it.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 07:38

cant imagine anyone being surprised they got a zero when opps bid and make a poor slam just the same as being in a great slam and going down due to rotten distribution. Bad luck happens the best bidding sometimes fails and rotten bidding is sometimes rewarded:)) don't hate the game due to bad luck enjoy it for the challenge:)))))))))

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-16, 15:04

View Postgszes, on 2016-July-16, 07:38, said:

cant imagine anyone being surprised they got a zero when opps bid and make a poor slam just the same as being in a great slam and going down due to rotten distribution. Bad luck happens the best bidding sometimes fails and rotten bidding is sometimes rewarded:)) don't hate the game due to bad luck enjoy it for the challenge:)))))))))

I also don't think it's the best line, A with N is more likely than it dropping in 3.

Win the club, in dummy, K-A-ruff, heart ruff, Q, spade to Q, heart ruff, diamond ruff high and claim would seem to be a better line that fails.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-July-16, 17:28

A trump lead is interesting. Does declarer then risk finessing the club 8 at trick 3?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users