• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10-12 total points Let's count

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-15, 15:21

It seems Lycier got his wish, and GIB no longer uses total points.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 15:47

North has 12 total points, South has 15. Both precisely as described by GIB, yes?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 15:55

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-July-15, 15:47, said:

North has 12 total points, South has 15. Both precisely as described by GIB, yes?

North has 12 HCP. Is a 6 card trump suit (or, if you prefer shortness points, two doubletons), worthless in total points?

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-July-15, 16:13

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-July-15, 15:55, said:

North has 12 HCP. Is a 6 card trump suit (or, if you prefer shortness points, two doubletons), worthless in total points?

Yes, according to GIB. It does not count any length points and it does not add a shortage point for a doubleton if it has an honour in it.

Hey, I did not program it. But at least here it is being internally systemically consistent.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 16:19

Ah, I wasn't aware of those exact spacifics. In that case not a bug, but a flaw of the system. Perhaps 11 card fits could add at least a point or two ;)

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-July-15, 16:25

Yes, you find it quoted here

http://tinyurl.com/zzm6m2r

High card points, using 4321 count
<li>Total points = HCP + short-suit points (void=3, singleton=2, doubleton=1 – subtract 1 for each short suit with HCP)

#7 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 16:52

Madness :blink:

#8 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 17:43

View Postsmerriman, on 2016-July-15, 15:21, said:

What's wrong with TPs?

Now let's see my simulating hand.

Result : 4S-1

How about it?
Would you still think this is a issue which is worth of discussing ?

#9 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 17:45

View Postlycier, on 2016-July-15, 17:43, said:

How about it?

I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

#10 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-July-15, 17:48

That's to say 3 is a correct systemic bidding according to Gib's TP evaluation on its CC.

#11 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 17:49

Yes, I know, see the previous messages..

#12 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 21:20

North has 14 TP- GIB can't count TP.

#13 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 23:15

View Postlycier, on 2016-July-15, 17:43, said:

What's wrong with TPs?

We think it's a little too conservative in devaluing doubleton Kings and aces, and should GF with the north hand instead of only inviting. Perhaps the TP formula can be tweaked a bit, like maybe not -1 from doubleton aces, doubleton kings, deducting only from say doubleton qs and Js, singleton kings. Or at least a smaller deduction than -1, like half only. And maybe a bonus point for the 6 cd trump.

Now let's see my simulating hand.

How about it?

Yes, absolutely. Because despite the double dummy result, game is excellent single dummy, and I want to be there every day of the week since I don't get to examine the opponent's hands during the bidding. You only need one of two finesses, ace of hearts onside or Q of club onside, and have extra chances of opponent leading away from CQ, or them not attacking diamonds in time while you set up clubs for a diamond pitch.

It's not so much a problem with the actual South hand since it was just quite good enough to raise to game, but if South were 5233/5323 13 HCP, same honors, I think most pass the limit raise, and game is almost as good and still excellent, still 1 out of 2 hooks, only lost chance to pitch diamond on club if given time.

Game is probably 85+% DD against most South 5332 12-13 worst hands which pass 3S. It can't be right to value JT98xx Kx Ax Axx as equivalent in trick taking power to JT98 Kxx Axx Axx, counting both as 12 TP.

#14 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-July-16, 12:37

About detraction it'd be: -1 for 1) an hand without Aces (only for opener), 2) King or Queen or Jack singleton, 3) Doubleton with Q or J plus a card (Qx, Jx) but not the Ace, 4) Qxx or Jxx or both those one, 5) shape 4-3-3-3 for raising trump, 6) raising trump with three cards, 7) King or Queen in unfavoureable position (from Stayman system: Table of valutation of the hand pag.8)(Lovera)

#15 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-July-16, 17:24

View Postcloa513, on 2016-July-15, 21:20, said:

North has 14 TP- GIB can't count TP.

Really?
Actually North only has 12 TPs instead of 14 TPs according to Gib TP evaluation.

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-July-17, 01:47

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-July-15, 23:15, said:

We think it's a little too conservative in devaluing doubleton Kings and aces, and should GF with the north hand instead of only inviting. Perhaps the TP formula can be tweaked a bit, like maybe not -1 from doubleton aces, doubleton kings, deducting only from say doubleton qs and Js, singleton kings. Or at least a smaller deduction than -1, like half only. And maybe a bonus point for the 6 cd trump.

Yes, absolutely. Because despite the double dummy result, game is excellent single dummy, and I want to be there every day of the week since I don't get to examine the opponent's hands during the bidding. You only need one of two finesses, ace of hearts onside or Q of club onside, and have extra chances of opponent leading away from CQ, or them not attacking diamonds in time while you set up clubs for a diamond pitch.

It's not so much a problem with the actual South hand since it was just quite good enough to raise to game, but if South were 5233/5323 13 HCP, same honors, I think most pass the limit raise, and game is almost as good and still excellent, still 1 out of 2 hooks, only lost chance to pitch diamond on club if given time.

Game is probably 85+% DD against most South 5332 12-13 worst hands which pass 3S. It can't be right to value JT98xx Kx Ax Axx as equivalent in trick taking power to JT98 Kxx Axx Axx, counting both as 12 TP.

I am agree with you on second part of post and also with smerriman in post #5. I think at this stage that programmers are valuting it. Infact is not usual that responder has trump longer that opener and it has to be considered. Lacking indication 4 is on average. If West and East hands are reversed almost 11 tricks are realized. Than let's be quite and waiting.

#17 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-July-17, 21:53

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-July-15, 23:15, said:

I never disagree.
1- 3 is a normal bidding according to Gib CC in the " OP " hand.
North only has 12 TPs even with 6-card support, however according to Gib CC and Gib TP evaluation, 3 is a correct bidding.
2- If you never agree with my opinion, what else?
You think North should bid to game, however would you know what you meant?
You require to revise Gib CC - no longer use 4/ splinter, renew to define 4/ as reverse swiss raise convention so as to show exactly this sorts of hands.
Note here Gibs need a playable programme of action, don't need a bidding based on logic judgement.

#18 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-17, 22:28

For those of us that think the North hand is a game force, it is sufficient for North to bid 2nt Jacoby. Adopting Swiss raises is unnecessary.

#19 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-July-18, 04:00

View PostStephen Tu, on 2016-July-17, 22:28, said:

For those of us that think the North hand is a game force, it is sufficient for North to bid 2nt Jacoby. Adopting Swiss raises is unnecessary.

Your answer is a bit far-fetched.
Why is the North hand a game force?
The main reason is North hand has over 12 TPs in fact. That's to say there is a Dummy Point problem in the North hand :
Dummy Point = TP + shortness points when there is good trumph fit on the dummy hand.
So it is a game force because there is 14 TPs of Dummy Point in the North hand.
So in another word, the count method on Gib Dummy TP evaluation needs to be improved.

Any ideas?

#20 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-18, 08:01

View Postlycier, on 2016-July-18, 04:00, said:

Your answer is a bit far-fetched.

You might want to explain exactly what you consider far-fetched, since you apparently agree with our evaluation that North should GF. You object to Jacoby 2nt? Why?

I don't think North should be discounted to 12 TP whether it is responder or opener. To me it is worth 14 approximately, and if this hand was first to open, and partner is giving me a 10-12 limit raise I am definitely accepting.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users