• You cannot reply to this topic

New hand evaluation method

#121 User is offline   kwiktrix 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-02, 10:25

View Posttnevolin, on 2016-July-10, 12:19, said:

Hi All.
I devised new hand evaluation method. I would be glad to listen to comments and critics about it. Even better if anyone would like to try it out in practical bidding. Here is the document link below.
https://drive.google...RzVOTjZJcXlfa0k

I've analyzed 400k deals on the computer to find all the parameters and adjusted values. It also took me few years to perfect the algorithm and find the right balance of precision vs. ease of memorizing. I can go on and on about history and benefits of this approach to anyone wanting to listen but do not want to clutter this post with my opinion. I'd rather seek yours. :)
This evaluation technique can be directly used with any existing bidding system. However, I also devised basic bidding system that directly utilizes the power of this hand evaluation method resulting in more precise and shorted bidding sequences. I would definitely love to give it a try with anyone interesting.

I've just became aware of this posting. Questions:
1) Is this for an individual hand - or for a pair of hands? ie are the tricks predicted for an individual hand or for delarer/dummy combined?
2) If the former, are they additive?
3) Have you done a statistical comparison between what you predict and what is reality? (DD or SD?) What is the degree of fit? Does the correlation go through (0,0)?
4) The statistical data/fit methodology from which you arrive at your method is not described. Could you provide the basis for the method?

KWS

#122 User is offline   tnevolin 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-20, 08:16

View Postkwiktrix, on 2017-February-02, 10:25, said:

I've just became aware of this posting. Questions:
1) Is this for an individual hand - or for a pair of hands? ie are the tricks predicted for an individual hand or for delarer/dummy combined?
2) If the former, are they additive?
3) Have you done a statistical comparison between what you predict and what is reality? (DD or SD?) What is the degree of fit? Does the correlation go through (0,0)?
4) The statistical data/fit methodology from which you arrive at your method is not described. Could you provide the basis for the method?

KWS

Hi, kwiktrix.
Sorry for late reply. I kind of abandoned this thread for a while.
1) Combined, of course! It is a partnership who takes trick in bridge, not the individual player.
2) Yes, they are.
3) Absolutely. That is the core of my analysis and calculation. In fact, it is not even a comparison. I directly adjust coefficients to match the reality better. I don't use DD or SD emulation, though. The only thing I do is comparing my results to actual tricks taken in the game (average across the table, that's it). I am not sure how to describe degree of fit because the approach is complex by task nature and my program is not 100% academic. I do some tests those seem to be enough to convince me in good match but nothing fancy like Xi-square, etc. Correlation does not go through (0,0).
4) Sure. See below.

Here is the folder with all related documentation
https://drive.google...YmhjdThEOHhXTU0

Specifically,

Calculation rules
https://drive.google...RzVOTjZJcXlfa0k

Method history and description (plus some relevant information)
https://drive.google...WW10bndERmd2NzQ

#123 User is offline   0Filou 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-15, 14:31

You should read the book "Optimal Hand Evaluation" (recently published by Master Point Press, authored by Patrick Darricades). I think that you will find its findings enlightening and the accuracy of its point count second to none.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users