• You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-12, 06:18

View PostMrAce, on 2016-July-09, 17:19, said:

Edit: IMP and 4 NT would be RKCB on

This is your problem. If you decide to use a convention then you need to decide what to do when you hold the natural hand. Logical would be to play 4 followed by 4NT as natural as a workaround but I daresay you did not have this agreement. In any case, it seems clear that bidding 4 of a minor here is better than 3NT. Which minor to bid depends on your agreements (and perhaps also your partner too).
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 08:22

View Postaguahombre, on 2016-July-11, 11:36, said:

As to the decision to open 1 (again not relevant to your result) -- we, too, will upgrade a 17'r to a pretend 18 and open 1M if it is slightly more prime-card oriented than this one. Here, I think 1nt is just fine. But, we don't have the wide spread of fudging 14's and that probably makes a difference.

View PostJinksy, on 2016-July-11, 11:03, said:

I tend to like opening 1N whenever I can, so I rarely upgrade out of the range (and there are hands I'd open 1N playing either weak or strong NT), specifically to avoid having uncomfortable high-level decisions at bid 2. With Qxx and Kx both looking quite ugly here I wouldn't bother upgrading. Still, given the crap I know you open and rebid 1N on, I guess upgrading this makes a lot more sense for you :)

I do not even think it is anywhere close to opening 1 NT. But I posted it in BW incase you want to see it with your own eyes. It was not a "Timo upgrade" If you think this is close to open 1 NT, you really need to work on your hand evaluation IMO. OTOH I take all the blame and "boos" for bidding 3 NT.

http://bridgewinners...=376424#c376424
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-12, 09:39

View PostMrAce, on 2016-July-12, 08:22, said:

I do not even think it is anywhere close to opening 1 NT. But I posted it in BW incase you want to see it with your own eyes. It was not a "Timo upgrade" If you think this is close to open 1 NT, you really need to work on your hand evaluation IMO. OTOH I take all the blame and "boos" for bidding 3 NT.

http://bridgewinners...=376424#c376424

Agreed, nowhere close to 1N. I think it would be a more difficult decision if I had "any old 19 count" as my minimum for 2N whether I upgraded, the two major suit 10s would cause me to treat it as a very decent 18 with a 5 card suit.

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 01:36

I would put some blame in south as well.

#25 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-18, 06:11

3h over 3d

ggwhiz brings up a point that is often overlooked. How can 3h possibly feel wrong unless it promises 5 in your system (because of the lack of negative x)? We have reasonable extra values even completely discaounting the club Q opposite a partner that has a very high deree of probability of being short in clubs. do we really want to mimic a minimum opening bid with say Kxx in clubs? nah There are many good reasons to hate bidding 3n so why not make a bid that has almost zero downside and keeps the bidding open for a wide range of possible contracts. 3N might indeed be our final resing spot but that is hugely unlikely since exactly 9 tricks would be odd looking at our hand 10 or 11 in NT (if it is right) would seem much more likely.

Blame goes almost solely to north for putting handcuffs on the south hand and pretending they had something like a min with Kx (or some such) in clubs. The rest is preempts work.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users