Posted 2016-July-08, 19:36

View Postjerdonald, on 2016-July-08, 19:25, said:

My partner and I play 4 suit transfers and I know at one time you had
to alert that the responder may or may not have a 4 card major. Now I
understand that it's only required that an announcement must be made
before the opening bid. What are all the acbl alerts/announcements for
this bid?

Jerry D.

To clarify, you are speaking of an auction that begins 1NT-2C?

My own practice (not what you asked, I know) is that I do ot alert 2C but I do alert 2NT in 1N-2C-2D-2N and 1N-2C-2H-2N. In the first I explain that partner need not have a major, in the second I explain that partner need not have four spades and would usually bid 2S over 2H if he had them .This latter is to allow for the possibility that he has four spades but has a hand where if 2NT were not a transfer he would simply have raised 1NT to 2NT. I have had no compaints doing it this way, but as is often the case I do ot know what the rules currently require.

I also alert 2S in 1N-2C-2H-2S since a person unfamiliar with this approach might, perhaps, think that the 2S bid shows five rather than four.
Ken

#3 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-08, 20:01

kenberg,
Thanks for the reply.

I am speaking about the sequence that goes 1NT-2C.

The 2C may or may not be asking for a four card major. Responder
then may bid 2NT no matter what the opener bids. This is the way
we get to and stop at 2NT. When do we have to alert/announce?

Jerry D.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-09, 00:11

View Postjerdonald, on 2016-July-08, 20:01, said:

The 2C may or may not be asking for a four card major.

I would disagree with this statement. 2 is *asking* for a 4 card major, full stop.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 00:31

In ACBL, alert the 2nt rebid after 1nt-2c-2x-2nt under this circumstance. Don't alert 2 itself.

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-09, 01:12

View PostTylerE, on 2016-July-09, 00:11, said:

I would disagree with this statement. 2 is *asking* for a 4 card major, full stop.

2C asks for a major only if it is bid as Stayman .There is no full stop because 2C is " not necessarily" Stayman.Many modernists play it as a relay to find out the range of opener ,whether he holds a minimum or a maximum.There are quite a few who play 2C as Baron(suits up the line).Some old style players play 2C followed by 3C to show a weak long clubs hand.One has ones choice.No one can forcibly say that 2 C is always Stayman.I alert all my unnatural bids over 1NT (2C/D/H/S/NT etc ) since they are all artificial bids and opponents have every right to know the full explanation.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 01:43

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-July-09, 01:12, said:

2C asks for a major only if it is bid as Stayman .There is no full stop because 2C is " not necessarily" Stayman.

The point Tyler is making (I think) is that 2 shows a range of hands, most, but not all, of which hold a 4 card major. They will often clarify which hand type is held at their next turn to bid. The hands that are included depend on the rest of the NT structure. You alert when the regulations say you are far enough away from their standard, which in the USA is when the rebid shows a hand type that may not have a 4 card major.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 01:59

Presumably you should alert the fact that 2C is Stayman but does not guarentee a four card major. As a direct bid of 2NT shows diamonds going through Stayman is the only way of raising to 2NT.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-July-09, 02:32

+1 for Stephen Tu's comment.

You don't have to alert 2 Stayman as not necessarily asking for the majors. Back in the old days, as someone alluded, 2 Stayman followed by 3 of a minor showed a weak minor hand. 3 of a minor directly was forcing. More recently, people are apt to use some sort of transfer auction for weak hands, bid 3 of a minor directly with an invitational hand, and use 2 Stayman followed by a 3 of a minor rebid to show a forcing hand. So there always have been and are Stayman bidding sequnces made without a major.

But with your agreements, when 2 NT is bid after Stayman, the 1 NT bidder knows that responder may not have a major. That information needs to be available to your opponents, so it is the point where the alert needs to be made.

#10 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 03:10

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-July-09, 01:12, said:

2C asks for a major only if it is bid as Stayman .There is no full stop because 2C is " not necessarily" Stayman.Many modernists play it as a relay to find out the range of opener ,whether he holds a minimum or a maximum.There are quite a few who play 2C as Baron(suits up the line).Some old style players play 2C followed by 3C to show a weak long clubs hand.One has ones choice.No one can forcibly say that 2 C is always Stayman.I alert all my unnatural bids over 1NT (2C/D/H/S/NT etc ) since they are all artificial bids and opponents have every right to know the full explanation.

Since this was an ACBL region question, 2 asking for a 4+ card major is not alertable. It doesn't say anything about the responder's hand. If responder then makes a bid that does not guarantee a 4 card major (e.g. 2NT/3/3) then that is alertable.

If 2 is some kind of range finder or Baron type of bid, it is alertable.

For more information, http://web2.acbl.org.../AlertChart.pdf

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-July-09, 09:52

View Postrmnka447, on 2016-July-09, 02:32, said:

+1 for Stephen Tu's comment.

You don't have to alert 2 Stayman as not necessarily asking for the majors. Back in the old days, as someone alluded, 2 Stayman followed by 3 of a minor showed a weak minor hand. 3 of a minor directly was forcing. More recently, people are apt to use some sort of transfer auction for weak hands, bid 3 of a minor directly with an invitational hand, and use 2 Stayman followed by a 3 of a minor rebid to show a forcing hand. So there always have been and are Stayman bidding sequnces made without a major.

Your methods are very inefficient. Weak and strong hands can be bid with transfers. Invitational hands as well, if you are using super-accepts.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 11:08

EBU rules are slightly different. You must alert 2 if it is Stayman but does not promise a 4 card major. Otherwise you announce "Stayman"

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 11:13

The sidebar for us is after 1nt - 2 - 2

2 shows exactly 4 with invitational values and 2nt denies 4 spades, invitational and we alert both.

I did think that all the others implied may or may not have a major and were no longer alertable but the alert system in general is such a mess that I've played in Sectional and Regional tournaments where the convention cards showed a bid like sandwich notrump as alertable or not depending on which stack of convention cards the organizers set out.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-July-09, 18:13

View Postnekthen, on 2016-July-09, 11:08, said:

EBU rules are slightly different. You must alert 2 if it is Stayman but does not promise a 4 card major. Otherwise you announce "Stayman"

Sorry Ken but you are wrong with this. In the EBU you announce "Stayman" regardless of whether a 4 card major is promised or not. The relevant regulation is 4E2:

A Stayman 2 bid is announced, but only in response to a natural 1NT opening where there
has been no intervention; and only where it is used to ask for a four card major. Opener says
“Stayman”. After such a 2 response a standard 2 rebid by opener is not alerted. Unusual
replies such as the opener bidding 2NT or higher or 2 showing spades but not denying hearts
should be alerted. Stayman is announced whether or not it shows a four card major.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-July-09, 18:53

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-July-09, 18:13, said:

Sorry Ken but you are wrong with this. In the EBU you announce "Stayman" regardless of whether a 4 card major is promised or not. The relevant regulation is 4E2:

A Stayman 2 bid is announced, but only in response to a natural 1NT opening where there
has been no intervention; and only where it is used to ask for a four card major. Opener says
“Stayman”. After such a 2 response a standard 2(M or any?) rebid by opener is not alerted. Unusual
replies such as the opener bidding 2NT or higher or 2 showing spades but not denying hearts
should be alerted. Stayman is announced whether or not it shows a four card major.

FYP. Your suit symbols did not show up.

Anyway the question is whether the 2NT bid that doesn't promise a 4CM is alertable. In my experience no one alerts but everyone asks at the end of the auction.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 19:23

BBO forum,
Thanks for all the replies but I'm back to my original question.

Since 4 suit transfers is noted on our convention card we used
to have to alert "may or may not have a 4 card major" after the
2 club bid following a 1NT opener. I have heard recently that
this has been changed so that only an announcement is required
before the opening lead, irregardless of the final contract.

Jerry D.

#17 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 20:09

About 4 of us have already answered your question above. You know the ACBL has this thing called a website where they have current alert chart and alert procedure documents where you can verify this if you don't believe us even though we all gave the same answer.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-09, 21:45

View Postjohnu, on 2016-July-09, 03:10, said:

Since this was an ACBL region question, 2 asking for a 4+ card major is not alertable. It doesn't say anything about the responder's hand. If responder then makes a bid that does not guarantee a 4 card major (e.g. 2NT/3/3) then that is alertable.

If 2 is some kind of range finder or Baron type of bid, it is alertable.

For more information, http://web2.acbl.org.../AlertChart.pdf

Yes.Indeed the rules book now clearly lays down that a 2C Stayman bid need not be alerted as also any bid above 3NT need not be alerted.

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 09:24

Several people have given the answer; and where to find it; if 2 asks for a major, don't Alert, whether or not you care about the answer. Any responder's rebid that does not promise a 4cM after Stayman is Alertable.

Side note: 2NT-3 Stayman or Puppet Stayman is not Alertable - but 1NT-3 *is* (because it's not the lowest level of clubs).

In answer to msjennifer above, however, "any bid above 3NT need not be Alerted" is overbroad, to say the least. Alertable non-bid calls (pass, double, redouble) are Alertable at any level at any time. Alertable openings, overcalls, and immediate responses are Alertable at any level. Alertable bids, starting with opener's rebid, are still Alertable; they must, however, be Delayed until before (declarer or dummy) or after (defenders) the opening lead (unless playing with screens).

Footnote:
Spoiler

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 10:01

Assuming a 15-17 No-Trump:

1NT - 2 - 2 - 3 clearly 8-9 points and a 4-4 fit
1NT - 2 - 2 - 3 clearly 8-9 points and a 4-4 fit
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2 clearly 8-9 points and 4 spades (remember, opener could have both hearts and spades...)
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2NT clearly 8-9 points and no 4-card major (Alert!)
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2NT clearly 8-9 points and may not have a 4-card major (Alert!)
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2NT clearly 8-9 points and may not have a 4-card major (Alert!)

Note that the latter three sequences need to be Alerted, because a Stayman sequence (in other treatments) always promises a four-card major, and these sequences do not. All sequences in which responder rebids 3NT are not Alertable and still promise a 4-card major. The only time that Stayman does not promise a four-card major is when responder's rebid is 2NT. This assumes, of course, that responder rebids 2 (with 4 and no fit) when opener responds 2 after Stayman.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users