BBO Discussion Forums: Mobile app 4.0 feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mobile app 4.0 feedback thread BBO app version 4.0 available in the Google, Apple and Amazon appstore

#61 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-26, 12:45

If you play logged on you shouldn't see ads at the moment. Do you see ads when you log in, or in anonymous mode?

#62 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-26, 14:06

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-July-26, 12:45, said:

If you play logged on you shouldn't see ads at the moment. Do you see ads when you log in, or in anonymous mode?

At this moment, I see no ads when logged in. I assume this condition is temporary.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#63 User is offline   Peter_f 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, bike, billards, beer & running

Posted 2016-July-27, 14:15

What I dislike most is the more than bad localisation.

In the browser version I can add "?lan=en" to the link and have bbo in english - everything OK.

In Germany the texts are a wild mixture of english and german (with errors). This is done automatically and I don't know a way to change it.

Peter

#64 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-27, 15:56

View PostPeter_f, on 2016-July-27, 14:15, said:

What I dislike most is the more than bad localisation.

In the browser version I can add "?lan=en" to the link and have bbo in english - everything OK.

In Germany the texts are a wild mixture of english and german (with errors). This is done automatically and I don't know a way to change it.

Peter

The app takes the language your device is set to. If you prefer to have it all English the only way ATM is to change your device language to English.

#65 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-27, 15:58

View Postbillw55, on 2016-July-26, 14:06, said:

At this moment, I see no ads when logged in. I assume this condition is temporary.

Yes, it's temporary. I was just checking in case there's a problem and you see ads where you should not.

The only way to disable ads in app (when ads will be turned on again, no need to do that right now) is same as on BBO, play something pay and that hides ads for 24 hours. There is no pay version of the app.

#66 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-28, 06:33

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-July-27, 15:58, said:

The only way to disable ads in app (when ads will be turned on again, no need to do that right now) is same as on BBO, play something pay and that hides ads for 24 hours. There is no pay version of the app.

Which is unfortunate. It would be a win-win: users would like it, and BBO would get a substantial gain of revenue. There is a reason so many developers use the pay-or-ads revenue model, it works.

But ok, this is not the choice that has been made. Can you at least make the ads less obnoxious? I know this is possible, I do have apps with ads that are not so. Try for example accuweather to see the difference.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#67 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-28, 08:25

View Postbillw55, on 2016-July-28, 06:33, said:

There is a reason so many developers use the pay-or-ads revenue model

As does BBO, as explained above. The only difference being that the user has to make a pay-or-ads decision on a daily basis (but only on those days when using the facility).

I see no harm in offering the user a choice of an annual subscription to remove ads. As long as it is provided purely as an option and without removing the existing facility (without annual sub) to remove ads on a daily basis for those in pay-to-play tourneys.

The existing arrangement is certainly more onerous than an annual subscription, for those who have no intention to play in paid tournaments but still prefer an ad-free experience. But it also has the benefit (contrasted with an annual sub) that you are not paying for periods when you are not using BBO.

But I would expect them still to pay the same amount for any pay-to-play tournament.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#68 User is offline   obonden 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-29, 11:23

View Postfred, on 2016-July-14, 18:32, said:

If all you want to do is kibitz and watch vugraph, try "Watch anonymously" instead of logging in. The navigation bar will not appear.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

There has been many comments on the pure chat in the mobile version, but I haven't been able to find any answers/comments from the admin group. Will there be any changes? ...or am I doing wrong? To chat to table I either tap "Messages", then "Chat" (because "News" seems to be default), then scroll to "Table" and finally type my message.... or I tap someone elses chat, then scroll to "Table" (because that "someone else" is default"), and then type my message. Any better solutions?

I do also have trouble searching for a player who is not among my listed friends. That makes it about impossible to get back to a table when being disconnected.

Kjell

#69 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-31, 12:22

I found a weird bug. If you play anonymously vs. 3 robots, bid so your partner becomes dummy, then undo (going back to the auction) and bid so that the opponent's declare, your partner's hand remains visible.

#70 User is offline   prtoni 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-03, 13:54

I agree completely! The new iPad/iPhone app is terrible. The chat function is so bad now I just can't use it while playing. The screen is so busy with ads and icons it it distracts from the game tenfold from the slightly annoying ads before. It is also very buggy. It's is harder to find and communicate with friends. I just don't like. Please roll it back!

View Postno_legs, on 2016-July-14, 15:50, said:

Sorry, but the new app is dreadful on my iPad.
The actual playing area is smaller still, now we have the ads and the new sidebar always on. This is the single most important thing about playing - being able to clearly see the whole table.

Chatting - to players or "table" now takes longer, you have to click on the little icon, then click on chat then type your chat. Previously only 1 click required.

Looking up the previous hand to see what others played in and made is also now clunkier.
The chat area itself is now smaller so a long comment by someone in a club makes it very easy to miss a comment from someone else at your table.

Please offer the old version as a downgrade.

#71 User is offline   lightner_x 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-09, 14:51

Why camera access in a card game app?
To add a picture to your profile? This is a privacy violation for an useless feature.

#72 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-10, 05:47

When will these issues be addressed?

#73 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 07:08

View Post42krunner, on 2016-August-10, 05:47, said:

When will these issues be addressed?

We have been working very hard on a new and much improved version. We are in what one might call the "final testing phase" now. Not clear exactly how long that will take, but it rates to be days rather than weeks. The iOS version will take longer to be available through the app store than the Android version because Apple's app-approval process typically takes a few days (whereas Google's is basically instantaneous).

Thanks for your patience. Thanks also to all the people who provided such useful feedback.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#74 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-10, 08:51

View Postlightner_x, on 2016-August-09, 14:51, said:

Why camera access in a card game app?
To add a picture to your profile? This is a privacy violation for an useless feature.

If you don't try to upload a picture, it never uses the camera, so there's no privacy violation. But it needs the access for those who want to use the feature. You may not care, but probably many others like it.

#75 User is offline   lightner_x 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-10, 17:09

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-10, 08:51, said:

If you don't try to upload a picture, it never uses the camera, so there's no privacy violation. But it needs the access for those who want to use the feature. You may not care, but probably many others like it.

If you really, really need a photo in your profile, the website with an upload possibility of a jpeg is enough. This oversimplyfication for a one time usage feature does not justify the need for a possible cam access. I am interessted in the % of users that used this app upload feature. An other point. BBO is not facebook that uses the pictures of the users to generate money. Thats done with the ads or am I wrong here? So why generate the impression to install a spy app here?

#76 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-11, 08:35

Most people have cameras in their phones, probably not in their computers. We did this because we thought it would be a useful convenience, not having to first send the picture to your PC so you can upload it.

#77 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-11, 14:49

About 100 users/day are making use of this feature of the mobile app.

#78 User is offline   rjaguar3 

• Pip

Posted 2016-August-12, 12:57

The app (on iPad 3, landscape mode) crashed when I attempted to search for a friend to add by username.

#79 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-August-17, 19:16

Since we've started a new thread for 4.0.2, which was released today, I'm closing this thread.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users