BBO Discussion Forums: Mobile app 4.0 feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mobile app 4.0 feedback thread BBO app version 4.0 available in the Google, Apple and Amazon appstore

#21 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 09:22

I'm having trouble liking the new version, although wish I could. I use it on tablets, in landscape orientation, primarily for kibbing.

When in landscape orientation, the new version loses too much 'viewing' window to the advertisement running along the top, and the header or whatever it is called ... Teamgame Table 1 etc. I'd say 25% of the screen is taken up by those two items .. they overwhelm. There, I just measured it. The 10" diagonal screens I am watching are ~ 8.5" wide by 5" high. The 5" height loses 1.25" to those two top items. I understand you need the ads, but it would be a big improvement if the ad area could be shrunk slightly, and maybe a smaller fontsize used on the Teamgame Table 1 etc. Or maybe they could be run alongside each other, and not on top of one another.

It might not be as much of an issue on a 4x3 tablet.

The problem mostly goes away in portrait orientation. It loses the same 1.25", but applied to a 10" height, is much less intrusive.

I hate to ask, but Is there any way to back out of 4.1, and reinstall 3.91?

#22 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 10:12

We just submitted 4.0.1 to the Android and Amazon app stores. It may take up to a day or so until the new version is actually available.

The only difference between 4.0.1 and 4.0.0 is that the new version does not require GPS or Camera. It should therefore run on more (all?) Android devices.

The iOS version did not suffer from these problems so it has not been updated.

I can't say for sure, but I think it is likely that there will be a more substantial new version released within the next couple of months with bug fixes and various improvements.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#23 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 11:25

Sorry, but the new UI on the iPad version is pretty bad. In landscape mode, the master controls (or whatever the permanent buttons are called) take up too much room as does all the info on the right hand side of the screen. The color pattern is just bizarre and not attractive (all that orange???). The claim number of tricks just looks very, very unattractive with the series of squares. When robot declares, dummy's cards are far too big and appear bigger than human's.

Also, I can't see my current place anymore while playing instant 25cent robot duplicates.

I think there should be a confirmation button before an IT starts. The new interface allows for accidently clicks to easily.

-Dan

#24 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 14:43

Version 4.0.1 (Android) wanted both camera permission and permission to see all the WiFi connections. I'll try removing and installing to see what permissions are asked for that way.

#25 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 14:56

View Postslior, on 2016-July-14, 14:43, said:

Version 4.0.1 (Android) wanted both camera permission and permission to see all the WiFi connections. I'll try removing and installing to see what permissions are asked for that way.

Confirmed: on Nexus 6P running Android 6.0.1, asked for three permissions:
1. File access
2. Camera access
3. View WiFi connections (connection status, identity of connected devices)

I don't see why you need to be able to know access point names or what devices are tethered to my phone. You probably never try to access that information.

#26 User is offline   no_legs 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-14, 15:50

Sorry, but the new app is dreadful on my iPad.
The actual playing area is smaller still, now we have the ads and the new sidebar always on. This is the single most important thing about playing - being able to clearly see the whole table.

Chatting - to players or "table" now takes longer, you have to click on the little icon, then click on chat then type your chat. Previously only 1 click required.

Looking up the previous hand to see what others played in and made is also now clunkier.

The chat area itself is now smaller so a long comment by someone in a club makes it very easy to miss a comment from someone else at your table.

Please offer the old version as a downgrade.

#27 User is offline   no_legs 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-14, 15:53

View Postwodahs, on 2016-July-14, 09:22, said:

I'm having trouble liking the new version, although wish I could. I use it on tablets, in landscape orientation, primarily for kibbing.

When in landscape orientation, the new version loses too much 'viewing' window to the advertisement running along the top, and the header or whatever it is called ... Teamgame Table 1 etc. I'd say 25% of the screen is taken up by those two items .. they overwhelm. There, I just measured it. The 10" diagonal screens I am watching are ~ 8.5" wide by 5" high. The 5" height loses 1.25" to those two top items. I understand you need the ads, but it would be a big improvement if the ad area could be shrunk slightly, and maybe a smaller fontsize used on the Teamgame Table 1 etc. Or maybe they could be run alongside each other, and not on top of one another.

It might not be as much of an issue on a 4x3 tablet.

The problem mostly goes away in portrait orientation. It loses the same 1.25", but applied to a 10" height, is much less intrusive.

I hate to ask, but Is there any way to back out of 4.1, and reinstall 3.91?

I believe there is if you are using on an apple device and have a copy of the old version in iTunes on your PC / Mac.

#28 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 15:58

View Postno_legs, on 2016-July-14, 15:50, said:

Sorry, but the new app is dreadful on my iPad.
The actual playing area is smaller still, now we have the ads and the new sidebar always on. This is the single most important thing about playing - being able to clearly see the whole table.

Chatting - to players or "table" now takes longer, you have to click on the little icon, then click on chat then type your chat. Previously only 1 click required.

Looking up the previous hand to see what others played in and made is also now clunkier.

The chat area itself is now smaller so a long comment by someone in a club makes it very easy to miss a comment from someone else at your table.

Please offer the old version as a downgrade.

Agree: for my use case (mostly kibitzing tables watching VuGraph), the bar offers nothing (would never use any of the buttons) and takes screen space while chat is very useful.

#29 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 16:51

I really like this new version (although I've only played a few hands so far).

I can now see players profiles which makes a world of difference. It also matches the Web version much better so it's easier to find the options. And history is fantastic!

Minor issues:
a) When I tried "take me to the first seat" it put me in the main bridge club and I couldn't see how to change settings so that it takes me to the relaxed club.
b) After leaving the game and looking at my profile (which I admit is rare), it showed that I was still at the old table. That frightened me because I didn't want to hog the seat but a friend said they could see that I wasn't at a table.

What I miss most is not being able to use a smaller font so that chat is easier (or disable the ipad's keyboard so that I can dictate chat without the keyboard obscuring the table). I also miss not being able to search for a user who's not a friend.

Looking forward to using this much more. It's so much more convenient on a tablet.
Alan

#30 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 18:32

View Postno_legs, on 2016-July-14, 15:53, said:

I believe there is if you are using on an apple device and have a copy of the old version in iTunes on your PC / Mac.

I have Android tablets.

Tablet Old was running the older version, Tablet New the newer one. On Tablet Old, I used an apk extractor (thanks Google Play Store) and extracted the BBO apk to Dropbox.

On Tablet New I uninstalled the newer version, then I used an apk installer (thanks again Play Store) to reinstall the old version.

So I'm now running the older version on both tablets yeahhhh.

#31 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 18:32

View Postslior, on 2016-July-14, 15:58, said:

Agree: for my use case (mostly kibitzing tables watching VuGraph), the bar offers nothing (would never use any of the buttons) and takes screen space while chat is very useful.

If all you want to do is kibitz and watch vugraph, try "Watch anonymously" instead of logging in. The navigation bar will not appear.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#32 User is offline   keen12 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-14, 19:19

I always play BBO on my iPad and was shocked when I logged in and saw the new page design. Does anyone else dislike it as much as I do? The side bar needs to be made much smaller. The chat bar is also to large. It is very cheap looking and I would like the old one back. Any thoughts?

#33 User is offline   goandi 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-15, 01:24

Ad notification bar still appears on my iPhone when I log on anonymously.

#34 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 01:54

I like it and there are functional improvements to it. Much better than the unfinished mish-mash of the half-redesigned full-size version.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#35 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 02:36

View Postfred, on 2016-July-14, 10:12, said:

The only difference between 4.0.1 and 4.0.0 is that the new version does not require GPS or Camera. It should therefore run on more (all?) Android devices.

It fixed my problem and I can now install it.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#36 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 03:26

I like it and, contrary to other opinions shown here, I quite like the colour schemes. Can do with some tweaking, for sure. The info bar across the top could perhaps be moved to the left margin when viewing in diagram mode in landscape orientation. It would give the cards a bit more room to expand vertically in the available screen space. I guess it is all something to get used to.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#37 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 05:47

I really like the fact it now shows all four hands after a deal - is it possible to configure the client to not start the next deal until I click on it? (talking about playing with 3 GIBs)

#38 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 09:24

Some chinese users ask me to help them at Chinese forum. They said Android version can't be upgraded in the domestic. I have no way to help them.
Would you give our chinese users a link so as to download ?
Thank you very much.

#39 User is offline   MyronMBA 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-15, 18:16

The newly updated BBO is terrible on my Apple iPad tablet! There is so much screen space used up by the silly icons on the right side of the screen and now the cards are much harder to see and more difficult to touch select on the iPad.

Clearly, this new interface was not thought out properly, and certainly not with the end user in mind.

Now it's hard to recommend BBO for anyone wanting to use it on a small tablet or smart phone.

Too bad, because you had a great thing going with your previous interface.

#40 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 18:29

This is not surprising to me. BBO usability has been downhill for years. BBOWin is still by far the best client.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users