Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claiming cont. What must a claim contain

#1 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-08, 10:07

Perhaps it would be useful For BBO to explain what can and connot be done following a claim without any more info, for example drawing trumps, finnessing the ... Or cross ruffing. Whilst declarer may not lose tricks it is by common sense impossible to lose, they maye not take fnesses without saying so at the tme of the claim.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-08, 10:53

BBO claims are "make it, explaining whatever you think the opponents are going to want/need, and if they accept, fine." Tradition that has grown up online is to accept "obvious" claims even if they're not spelled out. If you don't accept it, let them play it out or counterclaim. Yes, there's the "claim and rethink when it's refused" loophole, but this is a BBO club game, not the Spingold.

The Laws say something different. There are certain places on BBO where the Laws apply - I know it's spelled out when we play our GNT district final that contested claims will be ruled according to ACBL standards and the Laws.

I will note, however, that even (especially?) in high level events in the ACBL and elsewhere, what happens in claims is closer to BBO's "claim when it's obvious, accept when it's obvious, you don't need to teach me how to play." Frankly, that's a very comfortable way to play - but it only works if everyone's at the same level, of if it's a friendly game where the odd "give 'em the benefit of the doubt" doesn't matter.

Playing to the Laws is also a very comfortable way to play, if everybody is good with that - but playing right to the Laws rubs people who don't ("who are just trying to be friendly") the wrong way.

I think one of the greatest compliments I have been given at the bridge table was when I had done the right thing, and was 99% sure everything was now going to work, but the transportation was a bit tricky. Bob Hamman said "I think we can see where this is going" and put his hand away. In a national event, with a "nobody" declarer, he just said "yeah, you're going to get this one right." Thank you sir.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-09, 10:48

View Postzillahandp, on 2016-July-08, 10:07, said:

Perhaps it would be useful For BBO to explain what can and connot be done following a claim without any more info

BBO doesn't really set rules for the MBC or for tourneys other than the ACBL tournaments. MBC games are informal, relaxed play, and the table host is in charge. It's much more like kitchen-table bridge than bridge clubs and tournaments. What rules exist are essentially traditions that have developed over time, and mycroft has summarized those traditions for claims pretty well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users