BBO Discussion Forums: Could we have a general clause against Futile Wiley slam tries? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could we have a general clause against Futile Wiley slam tries?

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-08, 05:11

http://tinyurl.com/hodte2g
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 10:51

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-July-08, 05:11, said:

It's Futile Willie LOL. Anyway, the problem appears to be the extreme wide range (14-21!) for the 3NT move. If GIB is going to make 3 card raises (and I'm fine with that) then 3NT should be non-forcing, thus no more than about 17.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 11:43

Maybe also be limited to 4s only and full red suit stoppers to discourage pulling with only 3 trumps? Perhaps pulling with 3 trumps should just be barred.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 03:11

http://tinyurl.com/hodte2g

Could we have a general clause against Futile Wiley slam tries?

Of course.
But there is a must-choice here on Gib CC !
Completely give it up which opener raises responding major suit only with 3-card suit support since Gib never play 3344 convention. That's to say its following Gib CC is 3344 convention if allow opener to raise only with 3-card support.

1- Raising only with 3-card support is not a good Gib CC, here I will show how Gib plays.

Result : 4-1
So we can see that there is no way for Gibs to show 4333 and 4432 hand shapes after opener's raising,this is a shortcoming for Gib CC, this is a issue on Gib CC.

2- See my approach.

Result : 3ntS+3
So we can see better Gib CC.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 03:46

All that this proves is that this particular hand is well compatible with Gib CC.

Next time South will hold something like

And you will languish in 2C when you could have been in Spades
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 05:06

Good slam move in the wrong slam contract type. 4NT is better.

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 10:51

View Postlycier, on 2016-July-09, 03:11, said:

Of course.
But there is a must-choice here on Gib CC !
Completely give it up which opener raises responding major suit only with 3-card suit support since Gib never play 3344 convention. That's to say its following Gib CC is 3344 convention if allow opener to raise only with 3-card support.

1- Raising only with 3-card support is not a good Gib CC, here I will show how Gib plays.

Result : 4-1
So we can see that there is no way for Gibs to show 4333 and 4432 hand shapes after opener's raising,this is a shortcoming for Gib CC, this is a issue on Gib CC.

2- See my approach.

Result : 3ntS+3
So we can see better Gib CC.

I have no idea what this "3344" convention may be, but 3 card raises with a side singleton is a very widely accepted approach. The only problem on this hand is GIB's failure to pass 3NT.

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-15, 12:35

3344 is a convention some players use after sequence like 1c-1s-2s, 2nt (or sometimes 2M+1) asks, then step responses of 3cd support min, 3 cd support max, 4 cd support min, 4 cd support max.

It is *not* necessary to play this after 2M raises that can be 3. Although I've played this convention before, and it's not the worst thing ever, I've come to prefer not to play it, because:
1. I would prefer to play 2nt as the partial sometimes when opener is min instead of sometimes being forced into 3M or 3 of opener's minor on inadequate fit.
2. On game and slam hands I prefer to get more precise shape information instead of simply min/max. If I have say Kqxx xxx KQTx Ax for example, if partner shows me singleton heart, I probably want to try 4S on the 4-3, while opposite a stiff diamond I'll take my chances in 3nt. But a 3344 query doesn't give me that info. Or if I am stronger with 5+ M it's still pretty useful to find out partner's singleton for slam purposes.

Here, GIB just needs to be programmed to:
1. bid 3nt with flat hands and 4 cds only after partner raises when holding stoppers in the unbids
2. pass 3nt with 3 cd trumps.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users