BBO Discussion Forums: Your call - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your call

Poll: Your call? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick a call, any call

1. X (9 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. 2NT (16-18 bal) (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

3. 3C (16 votes [41.03%])

Percentage of vote: 41.03%

4. 3NT (9 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. Something else (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-July-08, 09:45

I'd just bid 3n but who knows - interesting hand
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#22 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-08, 10:18

Clearly, 3NT could be the right spot on this hand. But equally clearly, playing in clubs at some level could be right.

Since I can't see the other hands and I do not have a truly magical crystal ball, you have to make a reasoned choice.

Overall, bidding 3NT is taking a position. Partner will rarely move even with a hand with scattered values. And then you could easily miss a slam. Or you could get a spade lead (or a diamond lead) and be beaten in 3NT when partner does not have spade help and diamond coverage (or diamond coverage including the Ace and and a club card). Another problem with 3NT - though not a likely peril on this hand - is if LHO raises hearts. Now what will you do? If you double - which is clearly penalty oriented - partner may have long bad spades and bid 4S on you, turning your plus score into a minus.

I think the best chance of landing on your feet and in the correct strain is to bid your long suit. If partner has a club card and a few scattered values, partner likely will bid 3H to ask for a heart stopper, and now you have an easy conversion to 3NT. If partner bids 3S or 3D - neither of which is particularly unlikely - you can just continue with 3NT anyway - taking the chance that partner has some values in the fourth suit. So overcalling in clubs does not preclude getting to game in No Trump - but it does increase the chances that it is the right contract when you do. Finally, if partner raises clubs (or pulls 3NT after a 3H bid), you can cue bid to look for slam.

If partner passes you in 3C, you are unlikely to be missing a game (although that is certainly possible). But even then, not vulnerable, it is not a disaster and not likely to be a substantial loss either.

Finally, 3C is advantaged if LHO competes in hearts (usually to 3H given your heart holding). After 3H is passed back to you (or if partner speaks up with 3S), you have an easy 3NT rebid.

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-July-08, 11:47

I'd just suck it up and bid 5C. It seems like I need a pretty specific parlay for 3N to be right when 5C isn't.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-08, 14:57

Tough call. I could see X, 2NT, 3C, #NT, or 5C. I think I would start with X, but none of these bids seem horrible.

X generally should work out OK unless partner insists on spades. If partner bids the expected 2S, you can bid 3C, showing this sort of hand, and see if partner has a little something to continue on, in which case you'll likely reach 3NT. If partner bids 3S (invite with 5S), you can try 3NT.

Over 2NT Leb, you bid 3C. If partner bids 3S (invite with 4S), you have an easy 3NT call. If partner bids 3D, I would try 4C. Yes, 3NT could work, but since partner has denied 4S, you are apt to get killed in spades unless partner has the Ac. I'd bid 4C and let partner go to 5 with a couple of cards.

Altogether, pretty comfortable. The only risk is that if partner insists on playing 4S, you may well be in the wrong spot. You'll have to guess whether to leave that or bid 5C.

2NT seems wrong to me, as it contains a lot of risk without much reward. First, partner may drop you in 3S on hands where 5C or 3NT makes easily. Second, partner could drop you in 4S on hands where it's wrong. Finally, partner could have a hand that's good enough to make 3NT or 5C, but not good enough to bid over 2NT. Lot of bad things that could happen.

The trouble is, I don't see what good can come of starting with 2NT rather than X.

3C is an underbid with risk and reward. The risk is that you'll miss a game if partner isn't strong enough to bid over 3C but has enough stuff to make game. The reward is that you'll almost certainly make 3C, so if game doesn't make, you'll get a good score.

At MPs, I would be tempted to bid 3C. At IMPs, I don't want to miss an easy game, so I think 3C is way too risky.

5C is reasonable, but what if 3NT is the only making game? Seems a bit unilateral to me.

3NT also seems unilateral. What if we belong in clubs? Surely there is room for some investigation.

#25 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 16:18

So many replies! Thanks to all who contributed. Looks like 3C/3NT were pretty much joint winners in the poll.

This was partner's hand. He opted for 2NT and things got a bit interesting...

(1) East: erm, did partner forget the system? (has done once before) West: I want to play 3NT, not spades.
(2) East: well ostensibly 3NT is a superaccept so I want to try for a slam in spades. Let's see if partner has a diamond control. West: He has spades and clubs.

Made 13 tricks and picked up 2 IMPs when the other table was in 5C+2.

Partner's logic behind 2NT was that he needs something from me to make 3NT. However I don't think that he can necessarily assume I have it just because I transferred to spades (I could have say six spades to the queen and out). Hence I think I like a 3NT bid on this.

ahydra

#26 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 17:12

After the 2NT bid, was a 4H transfer to spades not an option?

KR suggested 2NT. I like it but I was unsure of what I ould do over a 3H transfer to spades. But I mentioned that woith a 4H transfer to spades I would accept and play in my 6-1 fit.

This hand certainly is an advertisement for Texas Transfers. Yes I realize that 4S can be beaten if S leads the daimond Jact to N's K, gets his club ruff and then leads a small diamond to N's T for another ruff but You are presumably not playing against the psychically gifted.

I claim partial credit for realizing N had to (almost had to) have some spades but I never did figure out what I was going to do if after 2NT partner bid 3H. And, for that matter, I still don't know. With my stiff A I am not super-accepting anything.

In practical terms you obviously will not like 3NT played W pn a plausible on a diamond lead. 4S making a lot, absent a diamond underlead lead of the ace that can only happen in a fantasy, seems right.

that being said, thank you for the very intersting hand and thank you for showing how it worked out inpractice.
Ken

#27 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 20:01

I can see after a 3c overcall, east will try for slam

a very interesting thread with lots of good comments.

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 17:08

View Postkenberg, on 2016-July-08, 17:12, said:

After the 2NT bid, was a 4H transfer to spades not an option?

I have this option but that does not solve anything. Pd can start 3 instead of 4 for many reasons such as starting to describe a big 2 suiter or starting a slamish auction and planning to cue hearts next etc.

This is exactly why I would never start 2 NT. But if i did, I would just simply complete the transfer and bid 3.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#29 User is offline   gfroeli 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-09, 18:11

To me 3 or 4 H seems to be a good bid since p is showing 6 and you have 3 honors to AK.

#30 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-09, 21:18

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-July-08, 09:14, said:

I would bet a lot that the full hand will give 1 of a few dozen reasons.

Sorry.I don't like to bet as I never do it.I think I have answered all reasons in my reply.It is not possible to reply in detail as you have not enumerated those dozen reasons.Just wait and watch.

#31 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 21:28

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-July-08, 10:18, said:

Clearly, 3NT could be the right spot on this hand. But equally clearly, playing in clubs at some level could be right.

Since I can't see the other hands and I do not have a truly magical crystal ball, you have to make a reasoned choice.

Overall, bidding 3NT is taking a position. Partner will rarely move even with a hand with scattered values. And then you could easily miss a slam. Or you could get a spade lead (or a diamond lead) and be beaten in 3NT when partner does not have spade help and diamond coverage (or diamond coverage including the Ace and and a club card). Another problem with 3NT - though not a likely peril on this hand - is if LHO raises hearts. Now what will you do? If you double - which is clearly penalty oriented - partner may have long bad spades and bid 4S on you, turning your plus score into a minus.

I think the best chance of landing on your feet and in the correct strain is to bid your long suit. If partner has a club card and a few scattered values, partner likely will bid 3H to ask for a heart stopper, and now you have an easy conversion to 3NT. If partner bids 3S or 3D - neither of which is particularly unlikely - you can just continue with 3NT anyway - taking the chance that partner has some values in the fourth suit. So overcalling in clubs does not preclude getting to game in No Trump - but it does increase the chances that it is the right contract when you do. Finally, if partner raises clubs (or pulls 3NT after a 3H bid), you can cue bid to look for slam.

If partner passes you in 3C, you are unlikely to be missing a game (although that is certainly possible). But even then, not vulnerable, it is not a disaster and not likely to be a substantial loss either.

Finally, 3C is advantaged if LHO competes in hearts (usually to 3H given your heart holding). After 3H is passed back to you (or if partner speaks up with 3S), you have an easy 3NT rebid.

#32 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 21:31

[quote name='Caitlynne' timestamp='1467994687' post='890677']

[/quoteAnd you perhaps fervently hope that they don't cash 5 /6 diamond tricks first.]

#33 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-09, 23:54

View Postgfroeli, on 2016-July-09, 18:11, said:

To me 3 or 4 H seems to be a good bid since p is showing 6 and you have 3 honors to AK.

If you mistakenly thought that partner had opened 2H then 3H would be a gross underbid
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users