BBO Discussion Forums: a more philosophical question on simulations - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

a more philosophical question on simulations

#21 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-12, 04:25

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-July-11, 02:21, said:

The 1NT rebid promised 12-14 HCP. I don't think that it made any promises regarding TP, although being balanced or semi-balanced probably places some automatic constraints. It is certainly possible to have 15 TP consistent with the earlier bidding, although more than that would be a stretch so the "+" is probably surplus to requirements.

Whether TP has any relevance to investigating 3N, the most likely game, is another issue, and one regularly aired.

That depends on what an immediate 3 raise means. I'm guessing that it shows 15+ TP in the GIB "system".

#22 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 21:24

Here is another example:
http://tinyurl.com/zwdewgm

Opener described his hand fine with reopening double.
Opener then committed the travesty of making the unforced bid of 3C.

The X *already* said "I have an opening hand with spade shortness"

#23 User is offline   goffster 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 21:39

and another:

http://tinyurl.com/zzr7fm8

The reopening double says (in this order):
Bid a suit if you have one. (does not require simulation)
Pass if you think it is right. (does require simulation)

#24 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-15, 00:37

You really should just be posting separate threads for each of these. The sticky note at the top of the forum requests a separate thread for each bug.

On your last one while I agree it should maybe pull, I completely disagree with your notion that with a suit it should just bid automatically and not simulate passing. All high level takeout doubles, I think pass always needs to be considered along with bidding. It should perhaps adjust the parameters of what 4H is showing (maybe more hands 5+ H and shortness rather than only 4+H) and what the double has (more hands stiff H) to perhaps get it to pull. I certainly always weigh passing and bidding simultaneously. If I just always auto-bid with 5 cd suit and never simulate pass in my head, I will miss likely many opportunities where pass is a better chance to go plus. Besides if you had been 5-1-4-3 rather than 5-1-5-2, closer to std takeout double, pass could well have been the winning call!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users