• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Asking partner to claim

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-06, 06:04

Is this always considered rude?

True, I've had the odd shirty response on the odd occasion when, sitting as dummy, I've typed "claim?" on the chatline. Responses on the lines of "I'm perfectly capable of deciding for myself when to claim, thanks!"

Why are some players more 'touchy' than others, I wonder?

If I'm declarer, and my partner tells me to claim, the last thing I'll do is take umbrage. Sometimes I've held back a claim for a trick or two, because I want to ensure that it's clearer to the opponents. Sometimes I've failed to notice a claim. Sometimes my partner is wrong!

This hand cropped up. I was sitting west:

Once we reached 6NT, played by east, I was ready to compliment myself ( :unsure: :D ) on an excellent contract. Obviously it fails on a diamond lead, but anything else, provided the spades are not 6-0, it's an absolute certainty. So when a club was led, and my partner ran the J, showing that spades weren't 6-0, I was strongly tempted to type "CLAIM!" on the chatline. If the opponents challenged, well, easy to explain: there were enough entries to drive out the A and still cash 12 winners.

But I didn't. I kept quiet and waited for the disaster.....

Partner contrived to go down, somehow. OK. You can't always blame partner. Everyone has their bad days, myself no exception. But I was sorely disappointed. No-one else bid 6NT on that hand.

#2 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-06, 06:48

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-July-06, 06:04, said:

Is this always considered rude?

Yes, it's rude. It's also illegal. As dummy you have no right whatsoever to comment on the hand until it is over, let alone try to influence partner.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-06, 09:33

Dummy prompting declarer to claim is wrong. It could draw declarer's attention to a successful line of play that he was not yet aware of. As a defender, I always object to this.

So far it has only happened on BBO. Once at a live tournament though, a defender prompted me to claim. This tipped me off that the overtrick I was after was definitely available.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-06, 13:27

The fact that your partner contrived to go down is sufficient justification on its own, had it been required (which it is not), for the regulation barring this sort of intervention by dummy.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-July-06, 17:58

there's obviously a fine line, but sometimes when there's literally five top trumps or something in partners hand and he insists on playing it out then it can be tempting to suggest a claim.

what i find more annoying is these people that never claim in defence, like with 2 tricks left you are missing the AQ of a suit in no trumps and have KJ in dummy and there are 8 cards left in the suit, you play small from hand small on the left have a think for a couple of minutes and righty with AQ doesn't claim.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-07, 01:38

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-July-06, 13:27, said:

The fact that your partner contrived to go down is sufficient justification on its own, had it been required (which it is not), for the regulation barring this sort of intervention by dummy.

I fully agree, when it comes to formal play. I don't know what the official laws* are regarding dummy's rights, but I'm sure I didn't break any! Anyway, this was casual play: I'm just expressing my frustration. You'll have to forgive an old geezer his occasional rants!

*[edit] I've since searched for the Laws online and had a quick browse through (eek!). Law 43A.1(c ) states: "Dummy must not participate in the play, nor may he communicate anything about the play to declarer." Whilst this does not explicitly say anything about claims, it seems clear to me, that suggesting a claim to partner is an example of 'participating in play'. Hence, illegal. OK.

#7 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2016-July-07, 03:38

View PostStevenG, on 2016-July-06, 06:48, said:

Yes, it's rude. It's also illegal. As dummy you have no right whatsoever to comment on the hand until it is over, let alone try to influence partner.

It's called "dummy" for a reason! B-)

#8 User is offline   SixOfWands 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-07, 06:42

It's against the rules of bridge to ask your partner to claim. Dummy cannot assist the play in any way, by suggesting there is a claim available you are suggesting that they can make the contract and they may look again at their line of play. The opponents can ask for the score to be corrected if you do this and in theory you can be banned if you do it persistently and it's reported.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-07, 06:48

Frankly, a tiny bit of patience is all that is really needed. Just wait until the end of the hand and then suggest to partner that the game would progress at a more tolerable pace had he claimed at trick 6. After all it only really becomes an issue if he repeats the habit hand after hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   beschuit 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-07, 08:16

i dont thinks its rude but it is not done!

#11 User is offline   cynac 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-07, 09:15

I am surpised you opted to defend your stance, as it is probably wrong at a number of levels. As has been pointed out, at worst it is essentially cheating. Partner will realise that there is a certain line of play which wins. Whilst one commenter made the reasonable point that occasionally it makes so much sense to claim, we often do wait until it will be obvious to the defenders (otherwise it can actually slow things down). Since, in BBO, you cannot outline your play, I believe you should only claim if there is no mistake to make. And defenders should only accept in that situation. The odd thing is that the example you chose to use should never prompt your suggestion to partner.....it almost as if you were indeed trying to stop his mucking it up!!!

#12 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-07, 09:26

Dummy has to keep mum all the way till the last card is played and the deal is over.Dummy can then call the director and point out any revoke made during the play of the deal.Dummy can not call the director during the course of play.The only exception is if any of the opponents disallows

the inherent right of dummy to see a card played by an opponent till dummy's card is face up.Once upon a time this did happen when a rude opponent said "you are dummy so don't speak anything"as I asked his face down card to be shown as dummy's card was still face up.The director then scolded him forthwith and asked him to show me his card played to that trick.Many players do not care or rather are too lazy to go through the "Rules Book of WBF" .Directors Rule Book specially prepared all over should also be read thoroughly if one wishes to be a director in the future and for general knowledge.

#13 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-07, 09:43

View Postcynac, on 2016-July-07, 09:15, said:

Since, in BBO, you cannot outline your play,

Not true. In the claim popup window there is an empty field which can be filled out with your line of play. Seldom used.

#14 User is offline   cynac 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-July-07, 15:28

Indeed seldom used. Thanks. Hadn 't even spotted it.

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-07, 21:43

A column "How would you rule ?"was/is published practically every month in Bridge World magazine,and is useful for all.Please note that I am in no way canvassing for any literature,

#16 User is offline   mediesel 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-08, 04:38

Yes. And illegal.

When declare, I try to give the defenders their two tricks and then claim. This isusually quicker than claiming losing two tricks.

On the other hand, After someone just takes the last six top tricks , I rudely ask, claim button broken?

#17 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 06:16

View PostGerardo, on 2016-July-07, 09:43, said:

Not true. In the claim popup window there is an empty field which can be filled out with your line of play. Seldom used.
I have used it. Especially when I am not claiming all the remaining tricks. Of course, this does rather depend on oppos reading the box when I lodge my claim! :D

Another claim-related issue came to my mind recently. I sat down at a (casual) table and found that I was declarer mid-way through playing a hand, after the previous declarer had suddenly quit (flounced maybe?). Now I know full well that in such circumstances, the score of the hand won't be accredited to me but to the AWOL declarer before me. Nevertheless I feel duty bound to play out the hand to the best of my ability.

In order to clear the ground a bit, I asked "What's been played up till now?" My partner couldn't help as they, too, had only just joined the table. Opponents were unable or unwilling to cooperate. Eventually the table broke up and the hand was (presumably) adjusted by robots (is that correct?).

What I should have done, in those circumstances, was immediately claimed. The defenders would presumably refuse the claim, but I'd then see all the hands and be able to play out the remaining tricks double-dummy. Surely that's only fair, in the circumstances?

Next time.....

#18 User is offline   Gazumper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 07:32

View PostGerardo, on 2016-July-07, 09:43, said:

Sometimes you can draw inferences from the opps refusal of the claim. You state "top tricks" and when they decline the claim you draw another round of trumps to be "safe" when you might otherwise not have.

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 08:26

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-July-08, 06:16, said:

What I should have done, in those circumstances, was immediately claimed. The defenders would presumably refuse the claim, but I'd then see all the hands and be able to play out the remaining tricks double-dummy. Surely that's only fair, in the circumstances?

I don't think it works that way. When a claim is made by declarer, defenders can immediately see all four hands, but declarer continues to see only two hands. This remains true after the claim is refused. I suppose it is possible that things are different when there is a change of declarer midhand, but I have never checked this myself.

And no, that would most certainly not be fair.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-08, 08:51

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-July-08, 06:16, said:

Another claim-related issue came to my mind recently. I sat down at a (casual) table and found that I was declarer mid-way through playing a hand, after the previous declarer had suddenly quit (flounced maybe?). Now I know full well that in such circumstances, the score of the hand won't be accredited to me but to the AWOL declarer before me. Nevertheless I feel duty bound to play out the hand to the best of my ability.

In order to clear the ground a bit, I asked "What's been played up till now?" My partner couldn't help as they, too, had only just joined the table. Opponents were unable or unwilling to cooperate. Eventually the table broke up and the hand was (presumably) adjusted by robots (is that correct?).

When someone leaves in the middle of a hand in the MBC, a robot is supposed to fill in for them immediately, so that human players aren't put into this difficult position. But there are table settings that prevent this, such as having reserved seats.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users