Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Talking Pts.V

#1 User is offline   bridgepali 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-01, 14:25

B-) I find when the 5/3 requisite trump footprint is 4/4 a sizeable percentage of these hands require three additional points (The value of one trick.) to have the combined hand point count correspond to it's optimum bid level. In other words to make a three level (pt. range 23-25) contract requires 26-28 pts.; a four level (pt. range 26-28) contract 29-31 pts.

Example:

Bidquest: Abiding by the 5cardMABBS South opens 1NT declaring 15-17 hcpts. North having four hearts and 13 pts. bids two clubs (Stayman Convention). South at North's behest bids two hearts. North estimating the combined hand count to be 29 pts. (five level pt. range) and knowing the trump footprint will be 4/4 not the 5/3 requisite trump footprint, bids four hearts knowing the combined hands have 26 pts. (four level range) after subtracting 3 pts. for the missing card from the requisite trump footprint. Had the point count been below 26 pts., North would have bid three hearts.

B-) Stayman is the largest spawner of 4/4 trump footprints. I've noticed that when a 4/4 trump footprint's hcpts. is below six in one of the hands, the chance of being set becomes very high.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-01, 15:38

LOL, why didn't West bid some number of spades as in your other threads. With North's hand, 4-3-3-3 with 4 small hearts, and double stoppers in 2 other suits, many would just bid 3NT. Even on the actual hand, 4 makes with a diamond lead, or with a 3-2 trump break, needs 1 of 3 finesses to make. Actually a very good game.

If you are going to make up examples, I will let declarer play slightly double dummy. Drive out the club ace, cash the clubs and spades, and endplay West in trumps to either give up a 2nd trump trick or a diamond trick.

#3 User is offline   beschuit 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-02, 00:35

I never use Stayman with a 3334

#4 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-02, 00:49

What you have. "noticed" doesn't comport with reality. 4/4 generally plays better than 5/3, especially when you need riffing tricks. And if you think you need 29 Pts to make 4M with a 4/4 major fit, I'd like to play vs you for $$

#5 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-02, 01:40

Very strange bidding Stayman on a flat 3433 ,And then bidding 4 hearts with 4 rags in the heart suit.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-02, 01:46

I continue to fail to understand the point of these threads. That probably explains why I continue to fail to understand what the example hand is trying to illustrate.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-02, 07:22

I believe you need to do a more formal study, because I don't believe your "data." Generally speaking, in theory a 4-4 trump fit is superior to a 5-3 trump fit inasmuch as it is more flexible in avoiding a forcing defense.

Your example is flawed from several perspectives. First, both diamonds and hearts are uncooperative; that event is decidedly unlikely with a very low probability. Second, there is no useful pitch available on the third club. So I think the example is a straw man for your argument, rather than a representative example. That's why a disciplined study - counting successes and failures of your hypothesis with equal vigilance - is essential.

Finally, just considering your example, I see additional flaws in your logic. Indeed, I think most players would not bid Stayman with a 4333 pattern 13 HCP hand featuring a pathetic 4 card major opposite a 15 to 17 HCP 1NT opening. I think most - as I would - would simply raise to 3NT. The 3NT game appears to be cold on the normal play of hand (i.e., declarer attacking hearts) in those instances when West does not begin the defense by leading a top heart him/herself. What's more, I think many experienced players will choose to lead a top heart on the 1NT-3NT auction; I know I would simply because it is a major AND, among the four suits, the heart suit requires the least help from partner (merely the Jack) for it to be successful.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users