Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruined Evening

#1 User is offline   hawkwind 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-01, 13:54

55 minutes ago I was invited to play a tournament on BBO.

All passed fine for the first six hands.

Then on hand seven my partner was playing the 4th trick of her 3NT contract when I momentarily lost my internet connection.

By the time I reconnected she was on trick 9.

Which was the last action I saw as the TD then chucked me out of the tournament.

I actually had reconnected to my place at the table BEFORE he replaced me.

This is the worst BBO experience I have had this year.

#2 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-02, 02:49

Unlucky, but if this is the most heart breaking thing that has happened you are fortunate. My guess isyou will never be invited to play again.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-02, 20:03

If this was a pay tournament, please report the details to abuse@bridgebase.com. We expect the operators of these tournaments to meet some standards.

if it was a free tournament, not much will be done. As long as the tournament host is not eggregiously abusive, they can do what they like -- we're just providing the venue, we're not regulating the tournaments (consider us to be like the landlord of the building hosting a f2f club). Just avoid playing in that host's tournaments in the future.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2016-July-02, 20:33

View Postbarmar, on 2016-July-02, 20:03, said:

If this was a pay tournament, please report the details to abuse@bridgebase.com. We expect the operators of these tournaments to meet some standards.

if it was a free tournament, not much will be done. As long as the tournament host is not eggregiously abusive, they can do what they like -- we're just providing the venue, we're not regulating the tournaments (consider us to be like the landlord of the building hosting a f2f club). Just avoid playing in that host's tournaments in the future.

It was a free (non-BBO rating point tourney)....
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-03, 04:25

The TD judgement does seem rather harsh, to me. It raises the question of how often these lost connections occur, and can the player really be held to blame for them?

In my experience, I've only had one hang-up/broken connection, or whatever it was, since I switched from Chrome to Firefox as my browser for BBO. Under Chrome they happened with unfortunate frequency. I should state that I play only from a desktop with a landline connection. For those who play on a smartphone or other mobile, particularly if playing whilst on a train (trains have an annoying habit of disappearing into tunnels every now and then ... :D ) - well it's their own look-out.

But otherwise.... Is there anything that can be done to reduce the frequency of drop-outs?

As regards TD interventions: well I had my first experience of one, on BBO, in a free tourney I was playing the other day, when the TD awarded a ruling on a hand after we over-ran our time. As it happens, the score was exactly the same as what would have been attained if the declarer had claimed, so I have no arguments about it! I contend that the delay was down to my opponents' slow play, not mine - but I won't labour the point!

#6 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-03, 16:19

View Postbarmar, on 2016-July-02, 20:03, said:

Sure you might be right that a TD/host did a poor job, but please keep in mind that this is not the only possible reason for this kind of accident.

TDs can and do replace disconnected players. Most of them don't do it instantly. Especially when a player is dummy there is no need for any hurry. My experience as TD is that some partners of disconnected players are much faster in subbing than TDs. Keep in mind that there are still a lot of players using the old download software where this is possible. I handle quite a lot of complaints due to "partnership" replacements.

Once the replacement process is started, the TD has no possibility to stop it. When the sub accepts the invitation the player will be replaced. It would be an improvement when all open requests would not automatically be executed when a player reconnects.

#7 User is offline   Gazumper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-08, 08:02

Unlucky, this reminds me of when a slow player gets reported the the TD, just as the TD arrives at the table the slow player wakes up and bids. It's now your turn and when you take more than 3 seconds the TD thinks it's you being slow, they do a countdown and even when you play in time you are promptly booted. There's nothing you can do.

#8 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-10, 05:28

I've never witnessed a TD being summoned (but then, the only tourneys I've played in on BBO, are those run by AcolatBBO, where it's all very 'friendly' :) ). What exactly happens? Do the other players become aware that TD has been called? Is play 'frozen' until such time as TD makes a ruling?

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-10, 10:01

Play is not frozen, but the summoning is announced
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-10, 13:26

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-July-03, 04:25, said:

The TD judgement does seem rather harsh, to me. It raises the question of how often these lost connections occur, and can the player really be held to blame for them?

In my experience, I've only had one hang-up/broken connection, or whatever it was, since I switched from Chrome to Firefox as my browser for BBO. Under Chrome they happened with unfortunate frequency. I should state that I play only from a desktop with a landline connection. For those who play on a smartphone or other mobile, particularly if playing whilst on a train (trains have an annoying habit of disappearing into tunnels every now and then ... :D ) - well it's their own look-out.

But otherwise.... Is there anything that can be done to reduce the frequency of drop-outs?

As regards TD interventions: well I had my first experience of one, on BBO, in a free tourney I was playing the other day, when the TD awarded a ruling on a hand after we over-ran our time. As it happens, the score was exactly the same as what would have been attained if the declarer had claimed, so I have no arguments about it! I contend that the delay was down to my opponents' slow play, not mine - but I won't labour the point!

If it was an Acol Club Tournament people are warned at the start about slow play and an automatic average being awarded by the software. If timing out. and you get a 2 minutes to go warning. so you should notify the TD if your opponents are playing slow.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users