Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1M (2m)

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-29, 08:49

Need some help sorting this out. I've had the notion that after 1M has been overcalled with a minor that responder's double should show either GI and 4OM or maybe competitive 5OM/5om or a negative free bid in the OM. Doubling with the idea of playing 2OM in a 4-4 fit (or opener retreats to his major without 4) seems greedy to me....but I guess that's standard?

So our notes are like....

1S (2D) dbl P 2H would be just tolerance for hearts (2 or 3) and with 4 hearts opener would have to bid 3H (weaker) or 3D (stronger).

If responder has GI with 4 hearts, he has to remove 2H...to 2S or 2N or whatever.

Thoughts so far?

Now we also play Switch where after a 2C overcall we switch the meanings of 2D and 2OM. So for example 1S (2C) 2D shows hearts.

We have down double as the same meanings here....GI 4 hearts, 5H/5D competitive, NFB in hearts....which means that dbl and 2D could both be chosen for NFBs in hearts.

I do like the idea of being able to separate GI hearts from competitive hearts. For example if we wanted to force with hearts and diamonds, we would start 2D and then rebid 3D whereas if we wanted to compete with 5H and 5D we would start with double and possibly rebid 3D.

So should we give up Switch? After all 1S (2C) 2D P 2H P 3H is a way to show GI 4H/5D hands....so natural responses permit natural rebids.

Or should we keep Switch and try to stop on a dime with 4/4 OM fits at the 2-level?

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-30, 07:10

Remembered this excerpt from Glen Ashton's Bridgematters, Rodwell talking about Bergen's Switch idea. Any comment about the merit of Switch?

Eric Rodwell: I have considered such ideas independently and have decided not to use them in that sort of an auction. In general, there is a problem with using transfer type bids when neither hand is limited and neither hand is known to be balanced. For example, what does opener do if I have stiff heart and 11 high, so 4-1-4-4? Or the same hand with 14? It is just very hard—we are losing the standards for a free bid at the two level. So if 2C showed the same thing that 2H showed that would probably be OK. Of course anytime you are switching hearts and clubs—like clubs to show hearts and hearts to show clubs—you are going to do better when the other guy has hearts and do worse when you have clubs. Like I can’t rebid 2D anymore over the bid that shows clubs.

BridgeMatters: Part of the theory after a 1S overcall is that if partner has five hearts he still can have four clubs, but if he has four hearts and five clubs he would likely make a negative double instead.

Eric Rodwell: Let me think about that one. If I have five hearts, four clubs and an 8 count, I don’t see anything wrong with starting with a negative double. On most of these hands, I don’t really want to play hearts at the three level or higher unless opener has a good hand—I just want to invite a natural description from opener’s hand. If I am starting with 2C, I am preventing opener from showing his clubs. Let’s say it goes 1D-1S-2C showing hearts, and it now goes 2S-Pass-Pass. If I now balance with 3C, is that a 5-4 8 count or is that forcing with a better hand? You really open a Pandora’s Box full of these kinds of questions every time you adopt a new convention. I am not saying it can’t be done, I’m just saying that as someone who has being designing systems for 20+ years, it’s not as easy as it seems to be sometimes. I had to scrap a lot of these ideas just because they were too complicated, too difficult to play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users