• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a psyche?

#1 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2016-June-29, 03:35

2 was alerted as Landy (both majors) and at the end of play I was called because West was unhappy and wanted to record the psyche. Both N and S confirmed they played Landy but, as is so often in the club, no convention cards were available.

At the time I ruled it as a green psyche (no evidence of fielding) with a recommendation that it be recorded (this was the pair's 2nd psyche in 3 weeks which is a lot for our club - not that it makes any difference to me).

But was it a psyche or a 'treatment'?

PS East dealt, not north.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-29, 04:34

Is it not slightly odd to pass 2X with 4 hearts ? so are we sure there was no fielding ?

That said I'm not clear what the damage is, W cannot let this play undoubled, and it should go off at least 1.

#3 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-29, 07:26

This isn't a psyche. It might possibly be a problem with disclosure, if South would consider it normal to try Landy on this type of hand. Since there is no restriction of defences to 1NT, just saying "Landy, but could be 4-3 in majors" would seem enough.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 09:11

Seems like it's only 1 small spade away from an aggressive landy call and that's not enough to rule it a psyche?

I'm not inclined to believe that a player that would offer up the kamikaze 3 bid knows what a psyche is. Definitely sour grapes if the E/W defense was as bad as their bidding.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 12:37

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-June-29, 09:11, said:

Seems like it's only 1 small spade away from an aggressive landy call and that's not enough to rule it a psyche?

I'm not inclined to believe that a player that would offer up the kamikaze 3 bid knows what a psyche is. Definitely sour grapes if the E/W defense was as bad as their bidding.

I suspect they took it -1 against 2 making their way.

#6 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-June-29, 13:58

There are pairs (or individual players) who play 2 overcall as "Stayman" - asking for 4-card major, but not promising 4+/4+ in the majors. Some players call this "Landy".

It is possible that this is North/South's understanding: they should be educated about how to disclose this understanding and may be that there is misinformation on this hand.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users