• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Negative double or not? 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-28, 07:00

This was our bidding

Would a negative double by West at his first turn been better?
If so East would have bid 4 Hearts [or 3 Hearts] after the double and West corrects
to Clubs.
Can we still get to our 6 Club slam?

Comments

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-28, 07:13

IMO Wests hand is a bit weak for a negative double. Dbl would not be wrong but I prefer pass.

I don't like East's 3 bid, though, I think it shows a purer hand and five hearts.

A plausible auctions IMO:

pass-dbl
3-3
4-4
... (will end in 5 or 6)

After it starts
pass-3 (as in the actual auction) I don't think East can stop below slam although it is of course a lot easier when one can see both hands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 08:38

Are you really not allowed to bid 3 over 2 ?

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 09:52

What's going on with the bidding? N/S are now bidding clubs at the 4 and 5 level???

Assuming West is the one who gently corrected to 4, you can't get to a club slam with West as a partner who can't evaluate the strength of the hand. :(

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-June-28, 10:21

I don't think that West has done anything wrong in the auction. The problem with a negative double isn't on this hand, but on a hand where West holds the same cards but opener holds a minimum hand. Then there's a pretty big risk you'll get too high.

East has a huge hand -- 3 losers -- good enough to open 2 if so desired IMO. So after the essentially undefined 4 preference, how about East making a slam try with a 4 cue? West can still signoff in 5 with a yucky hand. Then even with 7 HCP, West should find a 4 cue because the big club fit and shortness in opener's 2nd suit are huge positives.

#6 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 12:01

Wouldn't a negative double by west show both majors since both minors had already been bid? If so, then west didn't have the shape to bid a negative double. Is it common to agree that a negative double may show just one major after the opening sequence of 1C (1D)?

The 3H rebid by east seems reasonable to me. West already knows east does not have 5 or else east would have opened with a heart.

Why doesn't east open with a strong 2 bid? Opening 2C by east seems much more to the point.

Why doesn't west overcall 2D with 3C right away? In support of clubs I think west's hand is worth about 13 points.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 12:28

View Postbravejason, on 2016-June-28, 12:01, said:

The 3H rebid by east seems reasonable to me. West already knows east does not have 5 or else east would have opened with a heart.

Are you saying that you should make a canape bid with a 5-6 or 5-7 hand that is in the reverse range??? :o Opening the longest suit and then reversing into the shorter suit is the standard systemic bid when you actually have reverse strength. There may be some regional systems where you open a shorter major with reverse strength, but it is not at all common.

#8 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 14:37

View Postjohnu, on 2016-June-28, 09:52, said:

What's going on with the bidding? N/S are now bidding clubs at the 4 and 5 level???

Assuming West is the one who gently corrected to 4, you can't get to a club slam with West as a partner who can't evaluate the strength of the hand. :(

This is the correct bidding that we bid. Thank you

#9 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 14:46

Does this auction show West holding.

It is what I was thinking.
I am probably wrong

Thank you

#10 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-June-28, 15:41

Yes but obviously East has to bid more than 2h in response to the dbl
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 15:54

View Postbravejason, on 2016-June-28, 12:01, said:

Wouldn't a negative double by west show both majors since both minors had already been bid?

I play that a negative double shows (at least) 2 places to play, doesn't promise both majors but if we bid one instead it promises 5+. Feels like a 50-50 split with people that don't play it that way but more flexible imo. What do you do after 1 - 2 to you with a 4-1-3-5 forcing hand?

This hand is a pretty clear cut admittedly light negative double in this style with the 5th club in reserve but not so much if the red suits were 2-2
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 16:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-June-28, 15:41, said:

Yes but obviously East has to bid more than 2h in response to the dbl

#13 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 16:20

Yes

3 Hearts could be corrected to 4 Clubs &
4 Hearts to 5 Clubs, or 6 Clubs.

This is what I was thinking

Thank you

#14 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 16:29

View Postjohnu, on 2016-June-28, 12:28, said:

Are you saying that you should make a canape bid with a 5-6 or 5-7 hand that is in the reverse range??? :o Opening the longest suit and then reversing into the shorter suit is the standard systemic bid when you actually have reverse strength. There may be some regional systems where you open a shorter major with reverse strength, but it is not at all common.

I interpret the 3H bid to be a reverse (showing a strong hand and a 4+ card suit). Since 3H is also a jump, it should show a very strong hand. Is that the correct interpretation of that bid in this auction?

To be clear, I think east should have opened with a strong 2 bid. I think he had too much strength for a reverse, but since east opened with a one level bid, what other option did east have to show the strength of his hand?

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 17:07

View Postbravejason, on 2016-June-28, 16:29, said:

I interpret the 3H bid to be a reverse (showing a strong hand and a 4+ card suit). Since 3H is also a jump, it should show a very strong hand. Is that the correct interpretation of that bid in this auction?

I would expect 5 hearts, 6+ clubs, good suits, and a good looking playing hand. With only 4 hearts, I can't see jumping to 3 instead of bidding 2.

#16 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 17:11

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-June-28, 15:54, said:

I play that a negative double shows (at least) 2 places to play, doesn't promise both majors but if we bid one instead it promises 5+. Feels like a 50-50 split with people that don't play it that way but more flexible imo. What do you do after 1 - 2 to you with a 4-1-3-5 forcing hand?

With a good suit, bid the major (potentially risking a 4-3 major suit fit); otherwise cuebid diamonds to show club support (potentially missing a 4-4 major suit fit). I'd expect Partner to have a legitimate club suit. In this situation your method does seem like the better approach.

#17 User is offline   bravejason 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 17:15

View Postjohnu, on 2016-June-28, 17:07, said:

I would expect 5 hearts, 6+ clubs, good suits, and a good looking playing hand. With only 4 hearts, I can't see jumping to 3 instead of bidding 2.

I didn't consider the jump to also show a 6-5 shape, but it makes sense now that you mention it.

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-28, 17:37

As long as 1C shows at least 3, I see this as a WTP negative double, correcting hearts back to clubs.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 17:52

Deleted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 02:02

Definitely not a negative double, which should have at least tolerance for both unbidden suits, unless you play a style when you double on most strong hands. Also, doubling with good support for partner is not usually a good idea. Partner may pass the double and his experted tricks in clubs (in this example) will not materialise.

It seems to me that W should bid 3C, after which it should be easy to reach six.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users