Math/Sciences

Posted 2016-June-27, 13:33

I suspect this is an old topic, but...

Holding:

Ax
Axx
AKQJTxx
J

What do you open in a vanilla 2/1 context? Also, what methods do you have in established partnerships to

- Bail in some amount of
- Confidently find 3NT (or effectively sneak it)
- Explore 6/NT
(No comment)

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-27, 14:07

1 is the only sensible way to get to the right slam/grand and/or game which could be in either major. Sure it might go float but people who are afraid of that sleep with a night light and carry umbrellas even on sunny days.

After partners response it gets complicated. Fake a reverse or do something forcing (which 3 is not for most). If the opponents come in with a major and partner passes, shoot 3nt and if everyone bids either the same or q bid their suit to force. Gather as much info as you can and although I'm a big believer in including partner in the decision making, it ain't happening on this one.

2 getting 2 from partner on almost anything, 2nt or 3nt openers have zero appeal.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 15:42

i've got game in my own hand. there's a bid for that. i certainly won't be doing any bailing.

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-June-27, 16:36

2C, then 3NT often is used to show this hand. 9 tricks with a running minor, as long as they dont cash 5 first.

If you do that, a nice corollary is for 4C to ask for the hole. If your hole is in a minor, you obviously have the other minor. 4N shows a club hole. If you have a hole in a major, partner probably doesn't care which minor you have even if he cannot figure out which one.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-June-27, 20:46

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-June-27, 16:36, said:

2C, then 3NT often is used to show this hand. 9 tricks with a running minor, as long as they dont cash 5 first.

I assume you only use this treatment if you're also playing Kokish Relay. Otherwise, that sequence shows a balanced hand too strong for 2 followed by 2NT.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 07:08

Open 2 and then:
if partner shows a negative with 5 hearts, raise (or splinter in the unlikely event there is space);
if partner shows a negative without 5 hearts, bid 3 followed by 3NT;
if partner shows a positive in a major, raise and cooperate with their slam moves;
if partner shows a positive with clubs, bid 3 followed by 3NT;
if partner shows a positive without a suit, go as slowly as you can to exchange information and be prepared to push to at least 4NT/5.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-28, 07:15

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-June-27, 16:36, said:

If you do that, a nice corollary is for 4C to ask for the hole. If your hole is in a minor, you obviously have the other minor. 4N shows a club hole. If you have a hole in a major, partner probably doesn't care which minor you have even if he cannot figure out which one.

Slightly surprised at your choice of structure Ken. Surely it is better either to use 4 as "the other minor" or for the responses to be one-under for the major and 4/4NT for clubs and diamonds? It is after all twice as likely that the hole is in a major so it seems right to reflect that. The former method has the added advantage of mirroring the normal Gambling 3NT relays, which is probably the most similar situation found in basic bidding.

Happy New Year everyone!

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 07:25

I almost never open 2 with a minor suit oriented hand but this one is ok. My rebid is easier after 2 than after 3, I also think there is a non-neglible risk of 1 being passed out.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-June-28, 13:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-28, 07:15, said:

Slightly surprised at your choice of structure Ken. Surely it is better either to use 4 as "the other minor" or for the responses to be one-under for the major and 4/4NT for clubs and diamonds? It is after all twice as likely that the hole is in a major so it seems right to reflect that. The former method has the added advantage of mirroring the normal Gambling 3NT relays, which is probably the most similar situation found in basic bidding.

Well, sure. Baby steps.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 03:27

I'm with ggwhiz. 1. I like a 2 open to be no worse than a trick short of game in my own hand. We have weak and invitational strength replies, and of course if partner responds invitational strength, we are in slam in probably diamonds or NT. If he responds 6-10, 3 is forcing, and heart game and 3NT come into the reckoning. But it could subside in 4. If he passes, I just repeat diamonds until opps give up.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-29, 03:59

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-June-29, 03:27, said:

If he responds 6-10, 3 is forcing, and heart game and 3NT come into the reckoning.

You play 1 - 1M; 3 and 1 - 1NT; 3 as forcing in "a vanilla 2/1 context"?

Happy New Year everyone!

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-July-01, 13:40

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-June-29, 03:27, said:

I'm with ggwhiz. 1. I like a 2 open to be no worse than a trick short of game in my own hand. We have weak and invitational strength replies, and of course if partner responds invitational strength, we are in slam in probably diamonds or NT. If he responds 6-10, 3 is forcing, and heart game and 3NT come into the reckoning. But it could subside in 4. If he passes, I just repeat diamonds until opps give up.

This hand makes game 100% of the time opposite xxxx xxxx x 109xx. It needs help to stop clubs, that is all. It is certainly better than 'a trick short of game'.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-01, 18:48

View Postjgillispie, on 2016-June-27, 13:33, said:

I suspect this is an old topic, but...

Holding:

Ax
Axx
AKQJTxx
J

What do you open in a vanilla 2/1 context? Also, what methods do you have in established partnerships to

- Bail in some amount of
- Confidently find 3NT (or effectively sneak it)
- Explore 6/NT

I would start with 2c then over:

2h(art/neg) I would just rebid 3nt/slam is out of the picture
2d(art/gf) I would just rebid 3d/slam is in the picture

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users