BBO Discussion Forums: My fault - or my partner's - or both? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My fault - or my partner's - or both?

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-27, 04:38

I am not proud of this hand :( . In the Acol club, so please take it as a given that the bidding was Acol:

I was sitting east. After partner's 1 I naturally thought of game. When he bid at the three level I had the feeling he was showing 5 diamonds and 5 spades - clearly I was wrong. Of course with hindsight I should have rebid my hearts: 4 would have made and 4... well with my partner as declarer, spades breaking 4-2, four down and one of the worst IMPs scores I've had for several weeks.

Not surprisingly this hand led to a monumental 'spat' between me and partner. These things upset me, but every time I get a really bad score I try to look for 'lessons learnt'. I think the main lesson learnt here is, never assume partner has a 5-card suit unless they rebid it..... :unsure:

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-27, 04:57

ROAARRRING.

So for the remainder of your life you are going to assume that your (new) partner does NOT promise 5 Spades on this auction, on the strength of this "lesson"? You may find your (new) partners ditching you fairly regularly in that case.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 05:14

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-June-27, 04:57, said:

So for the remainder of your life you are going to assume that your (new) partner does NOT promise 5 Spades on this auction, on the strength of this "lesson"? You may find your (new) partners ditching you fairly regularly in that case.

I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said that. So are you saying, my bidding was OK then?

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 05:19

Auction should go something like:

1-1
1-2
2-4

Opening 1 and rebidding 3 shows 5, 4 and another ace on what partner had, he's barking mad (or has never played Acol before), I don't have a problem with your bidding.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 05:34

Your partner has no bridge understanding. It happens on BBO. Don't worry about it.

#6 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 06:11

Indeed, cyberyeti's auction looks good to me (I don't have 4sf on my card, perhaps I ought to - but I think it's standard in Acol?). And as for my partner - well perhaps he compounded the agony in the way he played out the hand (I don't count myself as an expert, but even I might have thought twice about trying to draw trumps, then being forced to ruff a club with my last trump, then.... you name it!)

I was unable to witness this sorry spectacle in real time, however, because my partner ejected me from the table once he saw the dummy.

C'est la vie. One name (and one name only, mark you) on my blacklist. Pity.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-June-27, 06:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-June-27, 05:19, said:

he's barking mad (or has never played Acol or any other system before)

FYP :rolleyes:
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-June-27, 07:07

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-June-27, 06:53, said:

FYP :rolleyes:

Was wondering if there was some sort of strong club limited spade canape system which would bid like this which is why I didn't put it like that

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 07:10

1D - 1H - 2H - 4H. easy. your partner was clueless.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-27, 07:18

Opener's 3 rebid is sometimes known as a high reverse and shows not only 5+ spades but also significant extras in Acol. It does not however promise a 5th diamond. Quite aside from the appalling choice of opening bid and rebid, Opener could still potentially have rescued things by bidding 4 at their third turn, even though they have essentially denied 3 card support already. *Shrug* it happens, maybe Acol means something different in Martinique. ;)

One last point, asking about the hand if you are unsure who is right is fine, giving your side of the back story is not. It is trivial to find your partner's name and he is not here to defend himself. So yes, on the bridge front you are in the right but in terms of how you are going about publicising the incident, you should feel fortunate if one of the moderators does not choose to have a word with you.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 09:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-27, 07:18, said:

One last point, asking about the hand if you are unsure who is right is fine, giving your side of the back story is not. It is trivial to find your partner's name and he is not here to defend himself. So yes, on the bridge front you are in the right but in terms of how you are going about publicising the incident, you should feel fortunate if one of the moderators does not choose to have a word with you.

I disagree. Being barking mad combined with ejecting your partner when the dummy hits and who cares about looking this player up?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 09:22

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-June-27, 04:38, said:

I am not proud of this hand :( . In the Acol club, so please take it as a given that the bidding was Acol:

I was sitting east. After partner's 1 I naturally thought of game. When he bid at the three level I had the feeling he was showing 5 diamonds and 5 spades - clearly I was wrong. Of course with hindsight I should have rebid my hearts: 4 would have made and 4... well with my partner as declarer, spades breaking 4-2, four down and one of the worst IMPs scores I've had for several weeks.

Not surprisingly this hand led to a monumental 'spat' between me and partner. These things upset me, but every time I get a really bad score I try to look for 'lessons learnt'. I think the main lesson learnt here is, never assume partner has a 5-card suit unless they rebid it..... :unsure:

I do not see where you went wrong sincerely-----your partner showed a complete lack of basic bridge bidding and it started with opening 1s vs 1d the 3d bid was ok the decision to go to 4s vs showing the 3 card heart support was off the charts crummy as you could always convert back to spades with 4 card support. The 4s bid also completely fils to show the short club which a 4h bid will at least imply. w bidding deserved around a 2 or 3 rating (at least they didn't blast 7n). 1d 1h 1s 2c (fsf) <changes depending on fsf game force or not>. but all roads lead to 4h.

#13 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 10:14

Well, it seems that I need to thank everyone for their support. I have to say, being thrown off a table because someone doesn't like your bidding or play, is not something I relish (and I hope it doesn't happen again)!

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-27, 07:18, said:

One last point, asking about the hand if you are unsure who is right is fine, giving your side of the back story is not.
I take your point. And I thought quite a while, about whether I should say what I did say, knowing how easily information can be gleaned from the BBO site.

In this case, however, the behaviour of the person in question (as to ejecting me from the table, that is, not as to their play) was so far out-of-order, that I think the Mods would be sympathetic. If not, I'll accept whatever they rule.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 11:19

West's bidding was an abomination. He opened the wrong suit, overstated his strength, and never supported his partner. Three strikes you're out.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-June-27, 11:49

He may have been a bit irritated by the previous hand, in which I would say that the blame stands with you, albeit only for a 2 imp loss v the room

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 11:53

Are you sure partner wasn't a GIB :)

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-27, 11:57

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-June-27, 10:14, said:

In this case, however, the behaviour of the person in question (as to ejecting me from the table, that is, not as to their play) was so far out-of-order, that I think the Mods would be sympathetic. If not, I'll accept whatever they rule.

So you admit to breaking the terms of usage deliberately? The point is this - according to you the other player ejected you only for normal bidding. But if we were to ask him we might get a completely different story. Perhaps you said a few choice words of your own after seeing declarer's hand, or perhaps there was some agitation before this hand. We will never know. And it is for this reason that the site rules explicitly disallows this sort of revenge posting.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-27, 14:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-27, 11:57, said:

We will never know.
As it happens, I have kept a complete transcript of the chatline for the entire session involving this player. And there are other matters concerning this business, which I can't go into. OK?

#19 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-June-27, 20:54

Pete I am not sure what the problem is here. It is as clear as the fact that the sun will rise tomorrow that your PD hasn't a clue how to bid. You has issues with him earlier?...well leave the table and find another PD. He booted you..so what be happy to be rid of him, make him an enemy and move on.

#20 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 01:10

View Postneilkaz, on 2016-June-27, 20:54, said:

Pete I am not sure what the problem is here. It is as clear as the fact that the sun will rise tomorrow that your PD hasn't a clue how to bid. You has issues with him earlier?...well leave the table and find another PD. He booted you..so what be happy to be rid of him, make him an enemy and move on.

The original problem for me was: I was unsure whether I'd got something wrong, had perhaps made a big mistake and could learn from it. After all I know full well that bidding is not my strong side, and I'm constantly looking for ways to improve it.

Others on this forum have reassured me, however, that on this occasion I was not to blame. For that I am thankful.

The only other issue which bothers me, was the question raised by one person, as to whether I'd broken some rules by posting too much information about the incident. But on that I have a clear conscience as of now. If the Mods disagree, well of course I'll abide by their ruling.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users