BBO Discussion Forums: My fault - or my partner's - or both? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My fault - or my partner's - or both?

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-June-28, 01:22

I fully agree the bidding as suggested by Cyberyeti. Your partner erred when he opened the hand 1S instead of 1D.Having done one mistake he compounded it by bidding 3D instead of 3H (to show an immediate support to partners forcing 2H bid which shows 5 +hearts).And to climax it all ,instead of bidding 4 H over your bid of 3 S ,he bid 4 S..I doubt if partner ever even knew Acol.

#22 User is offline   mathboy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-28, 06:04

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-June-27, 05:19, said:

Auction should go something like:

1-1
1-2
2-4

Opening 1 and rebidding 3 shows 5, 4 and another ace on what partner had, he's barking mad (or has never played Acol before), I don't have a problem with your bidding.

+1

#23 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-June-28, 06:04

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-June-27, 10:14, said:

Well, it seems that I need to thank everyone for their support. I have to say, being thrown off a table because someone doesn't like your bidding or play, is not something I relish (and I hope it doesn't happen again)!

I take your point. And I thought quite a while, about whether I should say what I did say, knowing how easily information can be gleaned from the BBO site.

In this case, however, the behaviour of the person in question (as to ejecting me from the table, that is, not as to their play) was so far out-of-order, that I think the Mods would be sympathetic. If not, I'll accept whatever they rule.

To clarify how this thread derailed against the BBO Forum rules:

- It's fine to post hands from BBO and include whatever bridge comments partner/opps make if the purpose is to understand whether they were right or not, and how to avoid a misunderstanding next time
- It's not OK to post abusive behaviour related to a specific hand (partner called me a moron, told me to take lessons, booted me, etc). Bad behaviour should be reported to abuse@bridgebase.com

Your original post is perfectly fine, it's a bridge question. The follow-up where you explain that he booted you and you blacklisted him doesn't belong to the forums, it's an abuse issue.

#24 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-28, 09:10

The bidding in acol i humbly submit should br
1d 1ht 1s 3c 3h 4hts. I can concieve of no other acol sequences which relate to the hands given.

#25 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 11:48

This is absolutely positively unequivocally and completely West's fault.

1S is not the proper bid in any non-canape system. Acol is not a canape system and opening 1D is clear since there are no rebid problems. If partner responds 1H, you can raise to 2H (or rebid 1S). If partner responds 1S, you have a very comfortable 2S raise. If partner responds 1NT (implying clubs), you can pass. If partner responds 2C, the rebid of 2D is fine.

1D-1H
1S-2C
2H-4H

or

1D-1H
2H-4H

are two reasonable auctions.

West's actual auction showed 5+ spades, 4+ diamonds and about 15+ HCP. That is far from what West holds.

The fact that you are writing suggests that West defended his bidding. If that is the case, it is time to get a new partner because West is clueless.

#26 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-28, 11:49

View Postzillahandp, on 2016-June-28, 09:10, said:

The bidding in acol i humbly submit should br
1d 1ht 1s 3c 3h 4hts. I can concieve of no other acol sequences which relate to the hands given.

Showing 4 spades and a stiff club? Not the best description of the east hand in my book.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#27 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 01:40

I'll add just one more observation on this.

How many instances of poor bidding stem from a reluctance to be dummy? I freely admit that, on a few other occasions sitting opposite a partner whose card play I have doubts about, I've been guilty of trying to 'farm' the contract. Are others here up to confessing? Is the cardinal rule "THOU SHALT NOT FIGHT PARTNER" a given?

#28 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 03:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-27, 07:18, said:

One last point, asking about the hand if you are unsure who is right is fine, giving your side of the back story is not. It is trivial to find your partner's name and he is not here to defend himself. So yes, on the bridge front you are in the right but in terms of how you are going about publicising the incident, you should feel fortunate if one of the moderators does not choose to have a word with you.

I think you are over-reacting. The tone of the OP doesn't suggest that the purpose of his post was to ridicule. And I don't think many people would bother to look up who his partner was.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#29 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 04:39

Not surprisingly this hand led to a monumental 'spat' between me and partner. These things upset me, but every time I get a really bad score I try to look for 'lessons learned'. I think the main lesson learned here is, never assume partner has a 5-card suit unless they rebid it..... :unsure:

I think the main lesson that should be learned is that it is time for the exit. As far as I know canapee bidding is not Acol but partners whim. Second he belongs to the big BBO family who refuse to support partner (no 3 . 'But I must bid my partner!' Well then start with them and you will not be in the mess you created yourself!

#30 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 06:29

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-June-29, 01:40, said:

I'll add just one more observation on this.

How many instances of poor bidding stem from a reluctance to be dummy? I freely admit that, on a few other occasions sitting opposite a partner whose card play I have doubts about, I've been guilty of trying to 'farm' the contract. Are others here up to confessing? Is the cardinal rule "THOU SHALT NOT FIGHT PARTNER" a given?

Intentional handhogging is poor practice. Bidding suboptimally incurs lost equity by itself, and also partner is likely to notice sooner or later and resent it.

Either find patience for your partner's errors or find another partner. Don't distort the game to accommodate his perceived weaknesses (unless perhaps playing for money). Also remember that you have weaknesses as well.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#31 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 09:09

View Postbillw55, on 2016-June-29, 06:29, said:

Intentional handhogging is poor practice.
I fully agree. I was only trying to admit, we're all human..... :blink:

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 11:19

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-June-29, 09:09, said:

I fully agree. I was only trying to admit, we're all human..... :blink:

Woof woof!... I mean... yes!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic