• You cannot reply to this topic

How open 5-major + 6-minor?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-20, 04:36

View Postshiang, on 2017-February-19, 21:40, said:

Here's my general guidelines:

*note, with extremely distributional hands losing trick count tends to work better than counting HCP. Points in the short suits should be HEAVILY discounted, non-A's should generally be ignored*

I would value
QJ109x x AKJ10xx x

higher than
KJxxx K AKxxxx K

You do realise, I trust, that the first hand has 6 losers (2.5 + 1.5 + 0.5 + 1.5) and the second 5.5 losers (2 + 1.5 + 0.5 + 1.5). Thus your example contradicts your point! In any case, if you are really going to treat the first hand equally to KQx KQx KQxx KQx or AQxx Qx AKQxx Qx or (both also 6 losers but with much lower ODR) without any fit then I think you are moving into dangerous territory that will get you into serious trouble on some hands. On the other hand, if you do find a fit on such a hand then it pays to upgrade aggressively. In most systems it is easier to do it this way than to downgrade later and suddenly show a weaker hand than was previously to be assumed.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 04:40

View Postshiang, on 2017-February-19, 21:40, said:

KQ109x x AKJ10xx x (this hand I would probably open 2c, even though it's only 13 HCP it has only about 3 1/2 losers.

On this hand, would you be happy being in a forcing pass when the opps bid 5/6/7? Do you also fully disclose your style of bidding to them - "strong" is not enough!?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-20, 05:25

View Postgordontd, on 2016-June-27, 09:39, said:

It would be an extreme version of Walsh that involved responding in a THREE card major in preference to a five card minor!

You would need to respond in a 3-card hearts in preference of a 4-card spades, also.

But I think that by Walsh he meant the Walsh system (Eastern Scientific) rather than the Walsh responses to 1.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-February-20, 14:58

Following Phil's reply above, if my hand is strong enough to rebid the major at the 3-level [1m-2M-3M sequence] then I open 1m. This depends not on GF reverse strength but a decided trust that the minor suit deserves focus. If the hand is very weak (Rule of 20 or so), then I open the M all the time. So, it depends on how comfortable I am bidding either way at the 3-level.

In general a good working 13 is usually enough for me to open the minor. x AKxxx KQJxxx xx
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users