BBO Discussion Forums: Four-way transfers - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Four-way transfers

#21 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-June-29, 09:36

At this aim as i told in my last post you can choose to rule in this way: when responder inserts in answer a single jump the suit is natural and is showing a strong hand. This one (already applied by responder in second round after major transfer) works at third level as direct bidding (1NT - 3x) with a very strong hand apt for slam.

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-29, 09:52

View PostLovera, on 2016-June-29, 09:36, said:

At this aim as i told in my last post you can choose to rule in this way: when responder inserts in answer a single jump the suit is natural and is showing a strong hand. This one (already applied by responder in second round after major transfer) works at third level as direct bidding (1NT - 3x) with a very strong hand apt for slam.

As already pointed out, if you play it that way you should arrange the system so that 2-suited hands go through the transfer. The common way is for these strong one-suited hands to go through a transfer. There are some knock on effects to the changes so you need to make sure the rest of the structure matches what you choose to do here.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#23 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-June-29, 14:24

View PostVampyr, on 2016-June-26, 21:04, said:

It makes a big difference. You must bid the suit when you like it. Otherwise you will fail to find your probable best fit when weak with 5/5 minors.

Assume your also allowing 2 to be bid with weak 5-5 in minors. This is a difficult position to take unless opener likes on xxx, but either method will work.

Option 1 inbetween:
1N-2-2N (likes ) - 3 to play (ambiguous could be weak just clubs)
1N-2-3 (doesn't like ) - 3 to play with 5-5 in minors

Option 2 bid suit
1N-2-3 (like ) - pass to play (ambiguous could be weak just clubs)
1N-2-2N (doesn't likes ) - 3 to play with 5-5 in minors

Note: I do not recommend this method
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#24 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-30, 09:25

Than the hand bidded directly at 3th level has a suit self-supporting (three top honors almost) or so (two of three top honors) with 6/+ cards in suit indicated and opener show force via cue bid that makes available all possibilities for slam purpose. In the same way a direct bidding at 4th level natural is reserved for hand most unbalanced with a single suit playable, poor of points with a suit 7/+ cards.

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-June-30, 11:22

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-June-29, 14:24, said:

Assume your also allowing 2 to be bid with weak 5-5 in minors. This is a difficult position to take unless opener likes on xxx, but either method will work.

Option 1 inbetween:
1N-2-2N (likes ) - 3 to play (ambiguous could be weak just clubs)
1N-2-3 (doesn't like ) - 3 to play with 5-5 in minors

Option 2 bid suit
1N-2-3 (like ) - pass to play (ambiguous could be weak just clubs)
1N-2-2N (doesn't likes ) - 3 to play with 5-5 in minors

Note: I do not recommend this method

No. Transferring to clubs and then bidding diamonds will usually be used for a strong hand.

What you do is transfer to diamonds. Now when partner shows a dislike for diamonds by bidding 3, you pass. Sorry, I didn't realise I needed to be so explicit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-30, 13:02

View PostVampyr, on 2016-June-30, 11:22, said:

What you do is transfer to diamonds. Now when partner shows a dislike for diamonds by bidding 3, you pass. Sorry, I didn't realise I needed to be so explicit.

You didn't really. It was mentioned further up in the thread, along with the corollary for 2 where 2NT shows a minimum and is similarly passable, thus allowing a raise to 2NT to be bundled there.

Happy New Year everyone!

#27 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-June-30, 17:32

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-June-30, 13:02, said:

You didn't really. It was mentioned further up in the thread, along with the corollary for 2 where 2NT shows a minimum and is similarly passable, thus allowing a raise to 2NT to be bundled there.

What does opener do with a minimum and a club fit? Or a maximum without one?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-June-30, 18:57

View PostVampyr, on 2016-June-30, 11:22, said:

No. Transferring to clubs and then bidding diamonds will usually be used for a strong hand.

ok see now.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-30, 19:03

View PostVampyr, on 2016-June-30, 17:32, said:

What does opener do with a minimum and a club fit? Or a maximum without one?

2NT with a min, 3 with a max. You lose the differentiation on club fit by playing the method.

Happy New Year everyone!

#30 User is offline   Hyperon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-30, 20:48

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-June-26, 11:56, said:

If you're going to play 2s for clubs and 2nt for d, you should play 2s as range finder or clubs.
Opener bids 2nt with a min & 3c with an accept.

When I transfer to clubs with xxx xx xx KQxxxx and my partner can super accept, I know we have good play in 3NT. This would be impossible to find with your method.

View Postmiamijd, on 2016-June-26, 11:56, said:

The advantage here is that 2c goes back to guaranteeing a 4 card major

I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of bidding Stayman without a 4 card major. After the auction 1NT-2-2-2NT, the defense will not know whether responder has 4 hearts or not, which can only be a good thing.

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-June-30, 22:56

View PostHyperon, on 2016-June-30, 20:48, said:

When I transfer to clubs with xxx xx xx KQxxxx and my partner can super accept, I know we have good play in 3NT. This would be impossible to find with your method.

Totally.

I don't understand why everyone wants to get rid of bidding Stayman without a 4 card major. After the auction 1NT-2-2-2NT, the defense will not know whether responder has 4 hearts or not, which can only be a good thing.

The leakage is in the concealed hand, which is far more damaging.

#32 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-01, 07:24

View PostHyperon, on 2016-June-30, 20:48, said:

they'll have a pretty accurate count on dummy's heart length a quarter of the way into trick 1.

#33 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-01, 08:13

If it true that in this way starting from 3 as direct bidding all suits are natural is true also the low frequency for these biddings either for shape or because honors concetration are not usual to have. The central side of system is more various, interesting and common. Now, as you can see, is showed in examples the use of Stayman with five cards in major (for a 5-3 fit). And what happens if partnership use, instead, regolar or classic Stayman that adopts only five cards in minor suit and is "still alive" ? Why don't explain with this one avoiding a sort of "exclusivety" in developing of bidding ?

#34 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-01, 09:06

View PostVampyr, on 2016-June-26, 21:04, said:

It makes a big difference. You must bid the suit when you like it. Otherwise you will fail to find your probable best fit when weak with 5/5 minors.

Also, if you super-accept by bidding the the next bid up (e.g. 1NT, 2; 2NT, 3) both opponents know that responder is weak and you have a fit. This is a green light for either of them to compete - e.g. by a take-out double. If you bid the suit to super-accept, then one opponent has already passed when the weakness is revealed.

This was from a previous thread (here) and is acknowledged with thanks.

#35 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-02, 00:57

When i told "on the same track" its meaning is to try to change as few as possible to save examples and developed bidding. But, i ask, what do you think about the not using of regolar or classic Stayman and what can be done yet ?

#36 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-July-02, 02:38

View PostLovera, on 2016-July-02, 00:57, said:

But, i ask, what do you think about the not using of regolar or classic Stayman and what can be done yet ?

"Regular Stayman" varies according to where you live so I suggest you describe both this and what you are proposing to replace it with if you want opinions. But in general terms there is no problem at all in changing the usage of 2 providing the rest of the structure compensates. The important thing is that the NT structure functions as a whole.

Happy New Year everyone!

#37 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-02, 07:51

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-July-02, 02:38, said:

"Regular Stayman" varies according to where you live so I suggest you describe both this and what you are proposing to replace it with if you want opinions. But in general terms there is no problem at all in changing the usage of 2 providing the rest of the structure compensates. The important thing is that the NT structure functions as a whole.

Hi. Obvously i am talking about Stayman with only 5m and a doubleton, 2=4 heart, 2=4 spade and perhaps 4 heart, 2NT=max w/o majors (original version or its any variant). What i am sorry that was not considered in system is this one that for an aim of condivision is more usefull. If it is required the Stayman with 5M to go it on can be considered almost a limitation if not a weakness (i think that you agree it) for the system.

#38 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-03, 02:33

Now let's consider that pair uses regular Stayman and responder bids 2 when has in hand four cards in major using transfers when has a five cards (M or m). In this way the hands indicated in part 4.2 having four cards in major has to be thread via 2 and by-passed than there (in the example "The Minor-Major two Suiter the Hand A is 4-2-2-5 with four spades and five clubs). To save example although it needs to find a meaning when responder bids 3(=not suit -a card can be removed and collocated in a short suit) and not having five cards in major because had transferred with 2 or 2 instead. The meaning is that in suit indicated has the controll and ask information if partner cover the remaining two suit ( and in this case opener bids 3NT )or if doesn't cover and in this case cueing sure control in suit indicated but not in the other one plus three cards in transfer suit.

#39 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-July-03, 12:23

View PostLovera, on 2016-July-02, 07:51, said:

Hi. Obvously i am talking about Stayman with only 5m and a doubleton, 2=4 heart, 2=4 spade and perhaps 4 heart, 2NT=max w/o majors (original version or its any variant).

Is this really the original version? In any case it is not very popular nowadays, when most people play some form of garbage Stayman.

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-July-04, 03:06

View PostVampyr, on 2016-July-03, 12:23, said:

Is this really the original version? In any case it is not very popular nowadays, when most people play some form of garbage Stayman.

It looks like a good example of what I wrote before, that "Regular Stayman" varies according to where you are. It is also certainly true that 2NT was used for a maximum without a major and that 2, rather than 2, was bid with both majors in the prototypical versions, not only from Stayman/Rapee but also from Marx. The other major difference that I know of between then and now is that "Forcing Stayman" was the original standard. That means, for example, that 1NT - 2; 2 - 2M would be forcing rather than invitational.

So to go back to Lovera's question, "what do you think about the not using of regular or classic Stayman", I would say that that would be an excellent idea if classic means the 1945/1946 publications! As a general rule, skipping 70 years of bidding theory will tend to allow for the odd improvement here and there. :lol:

Happy New Year everyone!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users