• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3NT matchpoint play

#1 User is offline   Stefan_O 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-23, 02:40

Posted Image

When you see dummy, maybe you wish you were in a slam. And with favorable layout, you may have 13 tricks.

But if not so favorable (assuming East has 6 spades), you might first want to duck the lead of SJ, in case West wins a trick along the way?

And should you attack the diamonds first or clubs first?

What is you plan at MP play?

#2 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-23, 08:27

Duck a spade. Win the continuation. Unblock KQ. If the suit is 5-1 I have to abandon it and take the club finesse. If everybody follows, I go to the board with the ace and cash the ace. If everybody follows, I have eleven tricks and east in a show up squeeze. I cash my red tricks and then lead a club to my hand. When east follows low, his last card is a spade honor. If east has the fourth diamond, I take the club finesse and hope the fourth club sets up. If west has the fourth diamond, I let him have it. Win the heart return and I have the show up squeeze.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-23, 14:08

I will duck spades twice. People do bid a weak 2 on a 5 card suit once in a while. Also this gives east an opportunity for error, continuing the suit and giving me a free trick. Of course a good player should never make this error, but I have seen worse. This gives up the chance for 12 tricks but that seems optimistic anyway.

After that, KQ and set up a trick or two there if available. Decide on plays in clubs later (options include throwing east in to lead a spade).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-23, 14:37

Win the second spade, KQ of diamonds. If both follow, I lead two hearts, ending in dummy. Cash the high diamond. If RHO turns out to have the length, I assume his 6241 and make the safety play in clubs of low to the king then low to the 9. If LHO has the diamond length, I take the club finesse into his hand. Anyway, that is my general plan at trick 1.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-23, 14:56

I'm not ducking two spades at mps since I have a good chance of 1S 3H 4D and 2C or possibly 3C and/or 5d. Nor am I winning the 1st because taking 13 tricks looks pretty remote and damages my chances for 11.

If I get some unexpected news like lho shifting when spades are 7-1 or diamonds 5-1 I'll have to reevaluate.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-23, 18:20

Ducking one spade seems pretty clear, sorry pard if I had 13.

After that cash 2 diamonds, cross to the HA and drive the diamond (if necessary), then try a club to the jack.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-June-24, 06:20

My line of play is the same as Winstonm.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users