• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preempt or not Interesting hand

#1 User is offline   Oceanss 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-21, 15:20

Assume you play IMP challenge aga friend, or an IMP team game, no barometer or alike. Your side is white and opps are red and you get this as a dealer:
-- QJx Jxxx KJT8xx
Question one: what is your bid?? Do you preempt? If you play preempts rule 2 and 3 can you afford a "little lie"?
Question two: If opener passed, how bidding should go? Pard was dealt: AT9 AK98x AKx Ax
I ask this is because I'd have no clue how to bid this hand if I as opener passed and pard shows balanced 22-24 HCP.

Thank you in advance!

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-June-21, 15:37

perhaps:

3c=6c?

or if you prefer:

3c=4d(rkc in c)
4s=4nt( qc ask)
5c=6c

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-June-21, 15:41

i would pass - 2nd choice 1c
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 16:00

In my current partnerships we play soundish preempts in 1st and 2nd so I'd have to pass. But playing with a random I don't mind 3C. Then Mike's RKC auction to the slam seems ideal.

Starting with (2C-2D)-2N (22-24), I think MSS then punting 5C over the 3NT response might suggest a hand like this. Opener has truly excellent controls so can raise to 6.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 16:04

I probably pass initially.

How about:

2N-3 (5 card stayman)
3(5)-4(exclusion)
5(1/4)-6(bid 7 with Q)

Yes 6 is better than 6, but I think 6 is where I end up.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-21, 16:27

Ok, let me get this straight. I'm w/r, have a spade void and a good 6 card club suit? 3C is not a lie; 1C or 4C would be lies.

Notice how easy getting to slam is after preempting.

Pass just doesn't exist for me.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-June-21, 16:40

View PostPhil, on 2016-June-21, 16:27, said:

Ok, let me get this straight. I'm w/r, have a spade void and a good 6 card club suit? 3C is not a lie; 1C or 4C would be lies.

Notice how easy getting to slam is after preempting.

Pass just doesn't exist for me.

It's very easy to get to the slam on this hand, and no you don't bid 3-6 as 7 can easily be a spread, but the issue is that if first in you regularly preempt on hands like this, you will miss 6 opposite a bit less, miss 7 opposite hands of this strength on a regular basis, and play in clubs when you want to be somewhere else too often.

I will preempt on hands like this, but this particular one, playable in 3 suits without great clubs doesn't look right.

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-June-21, 19:34

I think missing the boss suit and having ten cards in the minors and at fav vul makes this an easy 3c opener.

On top of all of that I actually have a good club suit, not great but good for this vul.

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-21, 19:55

I will say what I would do. I doubt others agree.

As dealer, I pass
After Pass-Pass I open 2C
After Pass-Pass-2C-Pass I bid 3C.
Then the 2C bidder rebids 3H over 4C. Dealer now holds one fine hand but I am inclined to think 4H suffices. The 2C opener, knowing of my hearts and my clubs, will find his way to 6.

I don't preempt with that hand, I just don't. I know others do. Holding the big hand, it is big enough for me to start with 2C. Back to the dealer. Even if 2M over 2C shows two of the top three (not everyone agrees that it should) you cannot be that restrictive with a 3C call over 2C. After 2C-2D you never get to show clubs. If it goes 2C-2D-2NT then 3C is Stayman, if it goes 2C-2D-2M then 3C is, for most, a second negative. If you are ever going to bid 3C to show a decent club suit and some values, it has to be over the 2C. I am assuming here that 2C-2D is waiting. For those that play 2C-2D as a positive response of some unknown shape, things might be different.

I guess I can make 7H if clubs and hearts are both 3-2, but they may not be and then 6C is safer than 6H. Bidding as I did, we probably end in 6H. Big deal. When we have eight card fits in both hearts and clubs, missing the Q in clubs and missing nothing in heart we probably end in hearts. If we are skilled enough, maybe we can work it out but as for me, probably not. There is some danger of landing in 7H. Might make, but I would just as soon forego the pleasure.

As I say, the above is my way, probably not a common way. I don't think it is crazy.

Oh. If I am playing with someone who opens this 3C I probably would just bid 6C. Presumably 3H over 3C is forcing, but partner would raise 3H to 4H without nearly such good support so, lacking a food way to find out, I probably just leap to 6C.
Ken

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 21:44

I this bar!

https://www.google.c...ve%20this%20bar
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-June-21, 22:17

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-June-21, 16:40, said:

It's very easy to get to the slam on this hand, and no you don't bid 3-6 as 7 can easily be a spread, but the issue is that if first in you regularly preempt on hands like this, you will miss 6 opposite a bit less, miss 7 opposite hands of this strength on a regular basis, and play in clubs when you want to be somewhere else too often.

I will preempt on hands like this, but this particular one, playable in 3 suits without great clubs doesn't look right.

I don't disagree, but if you always look at preempts as potential slam hands in off suits, you won't preempt very often.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-21, 23:08

View PostOceanss, on 2016-June-21, 15:20, said:

Assume you play IMP challenge aga friend, or an IMP team game, no barometer or alike. Your side is white and opps are red and you get this as a dealer:
-- QJx Jxxx KJT8xx

Easy 3 at this vul. (and even when all white FWIW). Over 3, we play that 4 is a five step ask for the number of key cards in the suit and outside controls (A/K) using the 0, 1, 1 (1 and one outside), 2, 2 (2 and two outside) scale, and we'll likely end up in 6

#13 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-June-22, 00:00

Pass seems automatic as dealer. After that I suggest 2C-2D-2H-3H followed by some cue bids. Ending in 6H should be easy. Or, if you don't like 2D, which tends to be used as a waiting bid these days, 2C-3C-3H-4H .... This auction gives a better chance of reaching seven, which is a good contract.

A 3C opener might be reasonable in third position but as dealer is as likely to screw up partner as the oppo.

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-June-22, 00:30

-- Q J x J x x x K J T 8 x x
Question one: what is your bid?? Do you preempt? If you play preempts rule 2 and 3 can you afford a "little lie"?

Few play "rule of 2/3" nowadays. I rank
  • 3 = PRE. Heed Terence Reese's advice "A pre-empt known to be weak is a blunt sword". As MIke777 points out, opening 3 on this hand simplifies slam bidding.
  • Pass = NAT. Pusillanimous.

Question two: If opener passed, how bidding should go? Pard was dealt:
A T 9 A K 9 8 x A K x A x

I think you still reach a round-suited small slam. The auction might start:
2 - 3
3 - 4

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-June-22, 02:55

View PostPhil, on 2016-June-21, 22:17, said:

I don't disagree, but if you always look at preempts as potential slam hands in off suits, you won't preempt very often.

My point is that I have no reason to suspect that it's my opponents' hand, I'm close to average points and playable in 3 suits with more defence than I would like. Partner is too likely to take a phantom.

In 3rd seat it's an obvious preempt.

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-22, 05:28

I would prob open 4 with this. This is the opps' hand, unless partner happens to show up with AT9 AK98x AKx Ax opposite, and what are the chances of that..?

Opposite my 4, I'd bid 5.5, planning to apologise to P either way.

Opposite most people's 3 I'd bid 3 and prob end in 6.

Opposite pass, I'd take my P to a nursing home. You bunch of cravens :P
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#17 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-22, 06:02

View PostJinksy, on 2016-June-22, 05:28, said:

I would prob open 4 with this. This is the opps' hand, unless partner happens to show up with AT9 AK98x AKx Ax opposite, and what are the chances of that..?

Opposite my 4, I'd bid 5.5, planning to apologise to P either way.

Opposite most people's 3 I'd bid 3 and prob end in 6.

Opposite pass, I'd take my P to a nursing home. You bunch of cravens :P

A good way to find out just how active an old person can be is to try to take him to a nursing home!

Back to the bidding. I had noted that if partner opened 3C and I held the big hand I would probably just bid 6C but I think I have changed my mind and, as you suggest, go with the 3H call. We can always get to 6C if need be. That club ten is important for playing 6C since it means you can survive a 4-1-split either direction, and with the 8 you can even survive a 5-0 split. if on the correct side. But those cards will not always be there, especially if partner is open to imaginative preempts. Playing in hearts, you probably get a spade lead, ruffed, diamond to hand, ruff a spade, cash the remaining heart in dummy, come to hand with a club. If hearts are 3-2 you are home, if not then there is still the possibility of a doubleton Q of diamonds or, as a last resort, the club finesse. If we are sure 3C shows the KJT then I imagine 6C is a safer bet, but I am getting the idea modern preempts make no such promise. Note that if the weak had holds only Qxx of hearts it comes to the same thing.

Nice of the opponents to stay out of the bidding with their ten card heart fit. This seems to up the chances for 3-2 splits. Maybe we should be in 7H. Win the spade lead, two rounds of hearts leaving the Q on the board, A, K ruff a clb hight, back to the board, runs club s. Not difficult and not really that unlikely.

One more thought. Whether we are to play n 6C or 6H, that heart holding in the weak hand is important. Give the weak hand QJx of spades and a heart void, and 6C may still make, but it gets iffier. And iffier still if the spades are Qxx
Ken

#18 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-June-22, 06:10

View Postmike777, on 2016-June-21, 15:37, said:

perhaps:

3c=6c?

or if you prefer:

3c=4d(rkc in c)
4s=4nt( qc ask)
5c=6c

I prefer a direct 6c.

Even if p has the queen I don't see a way to find a good grand slam. And even if he doesn't have the king, I probably still want to be in 6.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-June-22, 06:38

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-June-22, 06:10, said:

I prefer a direct 6c.

Even if p has the queen I don't see a way to find a good grand slam. And even if he doesn't have the king, I probably still want to be in 6.

I want to be in 7 if partner has KQ and Q, and I think I can probably find that out.

If partner has KQxxxxx any heart holding except xxx is probably OK, and even that may be OK if they don't lead a spade and partner has a stiff diamond.

#20 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-June-22, 09:26

With the hand playable in three suits,I shall always pass in 1st or 2nd seat.Even in the 3rd seat ,I shall think twice before bidding 3 C.And why presume opponents have spades when I am in the 1st seat? Such a call may lead to a phantom sacrifice by partner.
As per the LTC theory,which I play,I shall open the 22 points hand only 1H.( I open 2C only on at least a balanced 23+ or a hand which has 9 or more winners

with a major suited hand and10 or more winners with a minor suit hand).The further bidding does not require much explanation as the hand given has 7 and half losers due to nice 3 card support.I t therefore,as a passed hand,is certainly worth a response of 2C followed later by heart support showing bid.We shall land in 6 hearts after finding the absence of club Queen by using the Spiral RKCB.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users